Sequel: Untouchable.

Forgotten Kisses.

Phone Calls From Home.

’It’s past the twenty fourth, when are you coming?’

I felt pathetic, I really did.

As I sat alone in the small coffee shop, I couldn’t help the tears that had welled up in my eyes. This summer, I finally had decided that I was done. No more wasted summers for a boy who would only ever see me as a friend, I couldn’t keep doing this to myself; it just wasn’t healthy.

But, as I sat in the corner of the shop, my legs tucked under me as I stared into my cup, I couldn’t push away the thoughts floating throughout my head, which all included Josh. I pictured every morning when he’d come to my house, knocking bright and early to whisk me off for our ‘adventure of the day,’ I pictured when we went to the pool, and the entire time all I could do was stare at him, I pictured the numerous times that we stayed the night at each other’s houses, and each time, I pretended that we were an actual couple, and I would casually snuggle into his side.

I couldn’t do it. It wasn’t possible to stay away from him. He literally filled every part of my brain and my entire day would be filled of thoughts of him. how was I ever expecting to go to college if it was already killing me from not being at my father’s home in Weybridge.

I wiped harshly at the tears that had fallen onto my face and snatched the phone off the counter, readying my fingers to reply a quick text to Josh, promising that I would be on the next flight out.

“Excuse me, is this seat taken?”

I dragged my light eyes away from my cell phone to meet the green eyes of a gorgeous man standing right before me, a smile on his features. I found myself trying to catch my breath as I stared gapingly at the man.

I quickly shook my head, yanking up my purse that had been previously laying across the chair. He gladly took the seat, thanking me as he sat down.

“Sorry if I’m coming off a little odd, it’s just, I noticed you since I walked in, and to be painfully blunt, you’re beautiful, and I literally just spent ten minutes trying to come up with something clever to say so I could talk to you, but that obviously didn’t work out. And now I’m rambling..” he groaned.

I instantly laughed, and I watched as his face relaxed, and his sweet smile was on his face once more. “Well, thank you very much for the compliment, it means a lot.” I assured him.

“You deserve to be told. I’m Alex, by the way.”

“Li- Dahlia.” I smiled, holding up my cup before bringing it to my pink lips.

“Look at that,” he mused, smirking at me. “A beautiful name for a beautiful girl.”

I laughed, shaking off his comments, not really believing that such a gorgeous guy would actually even consider hitting on me. It just wasn’t possible.

“This might be a little forward, and I’m sure a girl such as yourself already has a boyfriend, but a friend of mine is throwing a party tonight, and I don’t really want to go alone..”

“I’d love to go.” I grinned, immediately taking up his offer.

This couldn’t have been real, but why not just go with it?


I smiled softly to myself at the memory, but wasted no time in getting dressed quickly to go and meet Max for lunch like I had promised. It seemed odd enough, texting me at two o’clock in the morning last night, explaining how utterly important it was for me to sit down and have a talk with him.

None the less, I quickly made my way out to the sidewalk, and soon I was walking up to the front of Max’s apartment complex. I gave myself once final glance in the small mirror I was carrying in my purse, ensuring that each hair was placed perfectly, and my makeup looked perfect as well, I pushed the mirror back into my purse and set off for the elevator that lead up to his floor.

“Don’t mind the mess,” Max stated as I entered the apartment which had somehow gotten messier after I left last night. I shook my head smiling as I followed him to the kitchen.

He grinned as he turned the heat down a few notches on the food that was cooking on the stove. “I was going to take you out to lunch, but since I am working on my cooking skills, I thought you might like to try it.”

“Of course, it would be an honor to have some of your food, Max!”

&&

“So, this fellow you’re engaged to,” he paused momentarily, “What’s he like?”

“He’s amazing; honestly. He’s been there for me for so much, helped me through more than I could ever imagine. There just isn’t enough words to do him justice.” I gave Max a smile, but the look on his face explained that he didn’t feel as happy I was.

“Lia, we’ve done all that for you too.” He frowned, his eyes pouring into mine. “You know that, right?”

“Of course you guys have, and I’ve never forgotten that, and I never will! But let’s be honest, it’s not like any of you are waiting in line to get married to me.” I laughed, finding myself hilarious.

He slowly lifted the frown into a small smile, laughing along with me, but the expression still on his face, showed through the fake laugh and cautious smile.

“What’s wrong with you? You’ve always been the hyper, outgoing, adventurous Max, and here we sit and all I can see is a depressed, soft-spoken you, with an ever present frown.”

“Lia, sometimes you just have to grow up, open your eyes, and see that it isn’t all about you, see that your best mate is hurting and you have to be there for him, help him through it.”

“I never knew writing an album could be so frustrating for you guys, everyone keeps telling me about how stressed Josh is, and why he’s always looking like he’s about to jump off of a building, but it’s you too!” I groaned, leaning back into the sofa.

Max sighed, pulling out a pack of cigarettes, “Lia, this isn’t about-you’re right, it is quite stressful.” He stood up, and walked out into the balcony and lit up his cigarette and I soon followed behind him, taking the seat across from him. it was silent for a few minutes, and I just watched each time as Max brought the cigarette to his lips, took a drag, and blew out.

“Do you think I look bad, Max?”

His eyes widened at my words, and he blew smoke out, his face contorted in confusion. “Why would you ask me something like that, Lia?”

I sighed, chipping the mint colored nail polish from my thumb. “It’s just, ever since I got here everyone’s looked at me oddly, made little comments, they act like I sold my soul to the devil.” I brought my eyes to meet his. “You’ve always been honest with me, Max. What do you think?”

Once again, it was silent between us for a few minutes, and I kept my focus on the scenery just overlooking Max’s apartment balcony, but I turned to face him when I felt his hand grasp my knee. “I just think you’ve changed, you’ve found something that makes you comfortable; at least I hope it does. I would never think you were ugly, Lia. I’ve thought you were beautiful since the day Josh introduced us when we were fifteen.” He assured me, patting my knee before leaning back and taking another drag of his cigarette.

I smiled, his words instantly taking the weight from my shoulders, and placing me in a better mood. I was always thankful of Max for being able to do that for me. Anytime I needed the truth, anytime I needed to feel better, to get encouragement, it was always Max I went to.

“I wish I was marrying you, Max.” I sighed, but leaned forward nonetheless and hugged him tightly, to which his arms wrapped themselves around me, and enveloped me in a tight hug.

“I think that role goes to someone else.” He stated, his eyes pouring into mine as he said those words, and it was almost as if they had they had a double meaning, but everything Max said seemed to have double meaning, so I merely shook it off.

I felt my phone vibrating in my pocket, and I knew without even having to glance at it, that it was Alex calling me. Although I was tempted to answer, just to hear his voice, I decided against it, not wanting to ruin this valued time with Max. I wasn’t staying for much longer, and I had missed Max much more than I thought.

The front door opened, and in stepped Josh, his cheeks and nose pink from the cold. I heard shuffling beside me and I turned to see Max putting out his cigarette and giving me a smile before standing up and pulling open the balcony’s sliding door, leading us inside the toasty apartment.

“Catherine told me you walked here, and it’s a bit cold so I came to give you a ride home, that’s if you want, of course.” Josh started out, once we entered the apartment and glanced at each other, waiting for someone to speak.

I opened my mouth to thank him for the kind gesture, but of course my phone began vibrating once again. “I have to take this call, I’ll be right back,” I announced and slipped past Max and Josh to the front door, where I stood outside, and answered the phone. “Hey.” I greeted warmly.

“Baby, I’ve called you a few times, why haven’t you answered?” his smooth voice came through the receiver, and it calmed my nerves a bit.

“I’m sorry, I was with a friend I haven’t seen in a while, and I didn’t want to be rude.”

“Oh.” He simply responded and I bit my lip, hoping he wasn’t upset with me. “Well as long as you’re having a good time, that’s all that matters.”

I grinned widely, and nodded my head, even though he couldn’t see me. “I am. It’s been a while since I’ve been back.”

“Mhm. Have you worn that dress I brought you yet?”

“Not yet, I haven’t had the chance to, we haven’t gone out yet.” I answered, leaning against the railing, as I glanced down at the two guys skating in the parking lot.

“Well, wear it soon. I paid seven thousand dollars for it, and it needs to be put to good use, not merely sitting in your suitcase.”

I stayed quiet, not knowing how to respond. He was right, I was wasting his money by letting it simply lay there, but I found it to be just a bit over the top to wear on just any night.

“Baby, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to get loud with you. I just want everyone there to see how beautiful you are.”

“It’s alright,” I assured him. “Listen, I have to go. My friend’s waiting for me.”

“Alright, I love you.”

“I love you too.” And with that, I hung up and walked back into the apartment, where Josh and Max were both comfortably sitting on the couch.

“You alright, Lia?” Max questioned as I took a seat beside him. I merely nodded and dropped my head onto his shoulder.

I watched Josh as he sat across from me. He wound his hands together, and his eyes were watching me intently. “Ready to take me home?” I questioned.

He nodded, and we both stood up. I gave Max a quick kiss on the cheek before following Josh out of the apartment.

“We should go to dinner.” Josh blurted out as we reached the parking lot and began walking towards his car.

“What?” I questioned, caught off guard by his words.

“To get reacquainted. I mean, it has been two years and we are best friends, or at least, we used to be. I think I deserve as much.”

“Oh, you deserve as much?” I chuckled, shaking my head. “You never change, Joshua.”

“Tonight at eight, then?” he questioned, his smile peaking out.

I nodded. “Eight it is.”

I was determined to look absolutely gorgeous tonight, and then he would see what he passed up. He would see what was lying beneath the shy and skinny girl he’d known all his life. What he would’ve gotten if he had only given me a chance.
♠ ♠ ♠
Not the best by any means, but the lame excuse of school kicking my ass is all i've got. i promise to try and update more frequently, just stick with me!

excuse any grammatical errors!

feedback is appreciated! (: