The Treasure

Finale.

He was tied to a chair on deck and left there for a few hours while everyone else ensured a safe journey. They had left the docks, Tim’s home, behind. Sometime later the captain took to staring at Tim. It was quite uncomfortable and made Tim self-conscious. The captain walked over.

“OK boy, I have something to say to you. We are on the way to possessing a treasure. The problem is; my brother’s after it too. You mustn’t get in the way! Understood?”

Tim nodded. Of course, he told himself. All pirates think about it treasure.

“We are on our way to the island of Vexentia. It’s likely my brother gets their first. Follow us and grab as much gold as possible. Then come back here.”

The captain turned to walk away before adding; “By the way, I’m Captain Studd.”

Tim was left to contemplate his speech and he was infuriated at him being used as a pawn. Nevertheless, he didn’t have much of a choice.

All too soon for Tim, the ship arrived at Vexentia. It seemed deserted but truth is not always appearance. Tentatively, the crew descended from the ship. After a slight hesitation they rushed forward, at the same time a mass of bodies rushed out from the greenery. Pistols and daggers were drawn as a fight raged in front of Tim’s eyes.

Five full hours of confusion and violence tired Tim, and he was forced to hide in a large bush to avoid getting stabbed. Suddenly, silence rang through the entire island. Unsure whether or not to look, Tim stayed where he was. A bloodcurdling scream pierced the air.

When he peered above the bush he saw Captain Studd with a sword going straight through another man’s heart. He guessed it was his brother.

“How could you stab your own brother, Eric?” the man was taunting.

“You were always a pathetic waste of breath; you insolent cur!” Captain Studd spat in his brother’s face.

One rasping breath later, he had died.

Shock emanated from everyone before half of them rejoiced. The treasure was theirs, they had won. Tim came out of the bush and even he was given a share part of the treasure. All became well for him.