Sweet And Low

WHEN YOU SAY YOU’RE FINE BUT YOU’RE STILL YOUNG AND OUT OF LINE

There was no normal sounds of birds when Florence awoke from her slumber. She had no recollection of what had happened the previous night. Her hands had went straight to eyes to rub the sleep from them. She got up from the bed and out of force of habit went straight to the bathroom without even looking at her surroundings.

Florence blinked a couple of more times after using the bathroom. Her blue orbs widened at the sight of herself. She hadn’t left her house in the outfit that she was now wearing.

The outfit had consisted of a dress, the top being white and the bottom half being a tan brown color. Her shoes were also vintage, which made the young woman smile. It wasn't until she looked at her fingers that she noticed something was wrong. There seemed to be a wedding ring on her finger, she was now panicking.

“What in the world is going on?” her voice was just above a whisper looking into the mirror across from herself. Florence pinched her skin to see if it was a dream only to find out that it did hurt.

She opened the door and looked immediately at the bed. There was another figure under the sheets that scared the twenty three year old. Her first instinct was to make a quiet escape, but she had no idea where she was.

Quietly, she tip toed over past the bed and out of the bedroom door. Florence wanted the quickest possible path to get home. Her heels clicked as she walked on the linoleum floor of the kitchen. The silence seemed to be killing the brunette. She looked all around her to find everything in place and nothing astray.

Her breaths became ragged as she walked over to touch the counters. There was a bad feeling in the pit of Florence’s stomach. She wasn't the least bit comfortable where she was. The claustrophobia that she had seemed to make matters worse when she felt something breathing on her neck, a scream was instantly emitted past her lips.

It took but two seconds for the person Florence saw in the bed to arrive. Kennedy looked tired and alert as he looked around. Florence could tell he was thinking exactly what she had thought when she’d awaken. He was wondering where in heavens name was he.

“Florence, what are you doing here? Where are we?” Kennedy rubbed the sleep off of his face and was now alert.

“You think I know? I woke up five minutes before you. I have no idea where we are and I’m scared. The last thing I remember was getting into the car with you, you getting in the car with me.” Florence said as she paced around the kitchen, rubbing her face. It was a nervous habit..

Tension was thick in the air and neither young adults spoke. Kennedy spoke low to himself but it was still enough for Florence to hear. “What if we’re somehow dead?”

Kennedy’s statement made the brunette stop in her tracks. The heartbreak in his voice made Florence question everything that had happened. She tried to backtrack what went on last night and couldn't think of anything. “This is all your fault!”

Her reply caused Kenny’s eyes to widen. He knew that it was just her anxiety taking over and that she really didn't mean what she had said. They were both scared for their lives. What if they were indeed dead? Arguing wouldn’t have solved anything, only make it worse so he said nothing at all.

“Do you think anyone would be up at this time?” Florence said then grabbed the watch that was on Kennedy’s wrist and read it. The hands were not moving even slightly. “That is strange, your watch isn't working.”

“The watch could have just run out of batteries or something, I wasn't wearing this watch before. You weren't wearing that outfit either, and i wasn't wearing this suit. What the fuck is going on?” Kennedy asked in sheer curiosity.

Florence was not soothed with the strange fact of the watch. She was accustomed to watching horror films and didn't seem to like where this one was going.

“Maybe this is just a horrible dream that we are experiencing together in our subconscious because we feel a certain way.” For the two years that Florence went to college she wanted to major in Psychology. She loved the human mind but was now flabbergasted by how what was going on at the moment even possible.

“Is that even possible? They say that even twins can't have the same dreams let alone be in the same dreams.” Kennedy said as he lightly paced the kitchen. “How about we go outside and see if some people can help us?”

She was surprised the Kennedy had thought of that. Florence just shrugged her shoulders and tried not to think of the situation at hand. The more she would think about it, the more her thoughts would get the best of her.

Grabbing the purse off the counter, she looked at Kennedy, telling him that she was ready to leave the house they were currently in.

[&Luck]


The outside air wasn't anything but still. There was no wind, no birds chirping or animals scurrying, and there seemed to be no clouds in the sky. “Kennedy, look at that!”

His eyes averted to up in the sky with a perplexed gaze. He too noticed that there were no clouds in the air. It made him feel slightly uncomfortable by this fact. It was obvious as he looked at Florence that she tried to keep her cool. He knew that she hated feeling weak and scared, it didn't matter who she was around.

“Which way do you think we should go, left or right?” Kennedy asked as he looked at the vacant street to the left and right of him.

Florence wasn't listening to a word that the older man was saying. She was too busy looking at the tree across from them. She could see a birds nest and started walking toward it, completely ignoring Kennedy.

The blue bird did not seem to notice the brunette for a second. Florence thought that that was strange. There were eggs in the nest, but they too didn't seem to move. Her hand lightly grazed over the bird and suddenly it fell on the asphalt ground. She jumped back from where she was standing, with list bumping into her old childhood friend.

A quiet scream filled the silent world they were both in. “I don’t think I like it here. We need to leave now.”

The rain is gonna fall, the sun is gonna shine, the wind is gonna blow, the water's gonna rise. She said, when that day comes, look into my eyes, no one's giving up quite yet. We've got too much to lose.

Her heels clicked as she walked away. She had no idea where she was going. If she were to leave which way was the way to go. There was so much strain going through her thick mind. She wanted to cry at the moment but she knew that there was no time for weakness.

“Where are you going Florence?” Kennedy shouted as he tried to catch up with the other brunette. He was hot on her heels. When he reached out to touched her she jumped a few feet into the air.

“I have no idea where we are Kennedy! I don't know where the fuck I’m going!” Her voice shook as she spoke. She tended to yell when she was frustrated and didn't know what to do. She didn't want to shed tears in front of her former friend, it wouldn't have made anything better.

That's when it begun, the silent cries to help. Florence sat down on the curb near a house, tucked herself into a fetal position, and let out a few silent tears. Before Kennedy could see her face she wiped the tears quickly away. “What do you think is going to happen to us Kenny? Are we going to die?”

It may have been something about the way she spoke or the fact that she had called him by his nickname, but something did change in the air between them.

Florence had spent so many years trying to be strong and not letting anyone in that she had no idea what was going on. Her mother spent most of her time with her step dad, sometimes even ignoring the fact that she had a daughter. Her father was nowhere to be found and it was useless trying to find him. She was more than alone.

“You know, life really does suck. We spend all this time looking for a better solution but then get lost in the past. Why do I even bother sometimes? My life is nothing like I planned it out to be. You’d think I’d be happy but i'm miserable at best.” the brunette began to lightly hum the song.

Kennedy began to hum alongside the girl he used to know. Besides their noises there was no sense of noise, no movement, no wind, nothing. He looked at Florence with a sort of heartbreak and wiped away one of her tears.

“We are going to be just fine Flor, okay? We are going to make it out of here safe and sound.” His voice had a certain ring of clarity that caused the other brunette to smile slightly on the inside.

“I feel so bad about how I treated you in high school after my mom got remarried. I was a greedy bitch that just said things for attention. You had every right to hate me. Hell, I think I even hated me then.” she let out a large puff of air.

Silence was the only thing that was constant for a few minutes. “It’s the past. Right now none of that matters. All that matters is that we have each other.”

Florence stood up from the curb with a sort of indescribable smile. She started walking in a random direction which brought her to a train. Her smile was now sickly.

“What are you doing Florence?” She looked back at him, her smile not changing. “Step away from the train tracks.”

“Kenny, we aren't going anywhere. Can’t you see that?? We are destined to stay here for the rest of our lives. I don't think I can do that. You are either with me or not, choose. You don't have much time.” Florence said in a voice that he couldn't recognize.

This was the make or break decision. He had spent all this time thinking that he hated her because it was easier even though he loved her dearly. She held out her hand to him, waiting for his answer. Hastily he grabbed her hand and joined her. After that point everything just went blank.

[&Luck]


Florence, quickly opening her eyes, gasped loudly. The lights above her were blinding her vision. She had no idea where she was now. Her mind was in another panic mode.

Once her bright blue orbs seemed to adjust to the change she was where she was. She was in a hospital bed and her arm in a brace. Her eyes averted to the girl sitting in the chair in the corner of the room looking out the window. This made Florence feel terrible. The last time she had talked to Kamri the conversation hadn't ended well.

Clearing her through, the brunette caught the ginger’s attention. “Oh my gosh! Florence, you’re alive! You don't know how appalled I was to get the call from your mom. In the back of my mind, there was a possibility i thought you weren't going to make it.”

“How long have I been out for?” Florence asked as she thought about her previous predicaments.

“You’ve been out for about three days. They are suspending your licence and you go a DUI and you have to go to court. What happened to you that night?” Kamri asked with her eyebrows arched in confusion.

It took a second for Florence to register what her friend was saying to her. She was going to court and had a suspended licence. She was sure that her mother already knew. “I’m sorry for being rude to you over the phone last time.”

Kamri looked as if that conversation hadn't even phased her. “Its okay Florence, I understand that you had a lot on your plate, all you wanted to do was relax, and I only pushed your buttons more. I’m just glad you’re alive.”

Not a moment later a figure strode into the hospital room with flowers. It all of the strength inside of Florence not roll her eyes and scream. Kamri fluttered her eyelashes as the man came into the room.

Marcus Delvino smiled at what he called his girlfriend. “Honey, I was so worried about you.”

All Florence could to was smile. She was beyond flabbergasted at this man. Her emotions and actions were quite clear that she didn't want him in any slightest form.

“You know Marcus, you have a lot of guts. That is something I really admire in a person, but you aren't the person that I want. I love someone else and have for years but have been too blind to see it. This is my friend Kamri, get to know her shes awesome.” Florence said as she began to get up from her hospital bed.

She didn't care if people the people in the room could see her backside or that when she stood up her head began to churn. Nurses looked at the brunette with curious eyes. “Kennedy Brock’s room number?”

None of the nurses had to speak, one only pointed to a room that was four doors down from where she was. Florence hurried over to the room and opened the door with haste. She saw that his eyes were still closed and began to panic. She tried shaking him, but for moments nothing happened.

“Kenny, wake up, this isn’t funny!” Florence said in a loud voice. She waited again to see if he would move, but nothing happened. What if she had killed him? Tears began to well in her eyes. She couldn't bare the thought of him being gone forever.

His hand began to twitch in the young brunettes which caused her eyes to widen. “Kennedy, wake up, please.”

And I'll carry you all the way, when you say you're fine, but you're still young, and out of line. When all I need's to turn around, to make it last, to make it count. I ain't gonna make the same mistakes that put my mama in her grave. I don't wanna be alone.

The hazel orbs that she had known since childhood were now opened and looking around the room slowly. Neither cared where they were and how much pain they were in, the only thing that seemed to matter was that they were alive and well.

“You don't know how much it would have killed me if I couldn't heard your voice one more time, if I couldn't see your smile or eyes. I’m so glad that you’re alive.” Tears were now streaming down Florence’s cheeks.

All Kennedy could do was laugh and roll his eyes. Florence immediately looked up at the man she loved and glared. “What do you think is so hilarious?”

“Florence, as i’ve told you before, I knew that we were both going to make it. Don't think about what might of happened. We are both alive, well, and happy.” what he had said caused to the slightly younger girl to smile and laugh lightly as well.

The two looked at each other for long second both with smiles on their face. Kennedy brushed the hair that was sticking to Florence’s face and cupped her left cheek. The silence for once seemed to soothe the brunette.

Their lips drew closer, pressing lightly on one another and from that moment on it was the beginning of something special. Something that one one could take away from both Kennedy and Florence.
♠ ♠ ♠
|| DREAM ||


This is late, I know. I said I'd have the second part up in days and its been three months. School has been whipping my ass and I've usually been letting it and because of my enormous procrastination problem it seems to still be kicking my ass. I'm failing two classes right now, well again. Spring break is among me though, so i'm happy because of that. Hope you guys like this as much as i did because i think its an amazing short story.

Sincerely,
Devastating Home.