Status: On Hold.

A Life as a Pirate

Life as a Pirate

I stood with Will, my brother, waiting in Governor Swann’s home. I stood gazing out the window as Will took a look around. All that could be heard was the steady clicks of the clock. Then a loud snap. I turned, my long brown hair swishing over my shoulder to see Will had broken a candle stick off its mantle. I stifled a giggle as Will slightly panicked on what to do. He went to put it in his coat pocket but then quickly placed it in the umbrella holder.

“William,” I hissed, giggling, after one of the Governor’s servants walked by.
He placed his finger to his lips as the Governor himself came walking down the steps. White, grey wig and blue petty coat, he looked like royalty. And really he was. At least around here.
“Ah, Mr. Turner, Miss Turner. Good to see both of you again.” He smiled.
“Good day to you, sir,” Will said placing the box with a new sword he had made on the table.
I quickly stood, straightening my corset, “Good morning, sir.” He smiled at me and then looked back at Will.
“I have your order,” Will said opening the box. He then lifted the sword up out of the box and bowed as the Governor took it from his hands. “The blade is folded steal,” Will said once the Governor pulled it out of its sheath. “That’s gold filigree laid into the handle.” Will bowed, “If I may,” he said holding his hand out to the sword. The Governor happily gave it to him. Will rested the sword on his finger tips, just above the handle. “Perfectly balanced. The tang is nearly the full width of the blade.” Will then flipped the sword, caught it and handed it back to the Governor.
“Impressive. Very impressive,” he said taking the sword back. “Commodore Norrington is going to be very pleased with this,” he said placing the sword back in its sheath. He handed the sword back to Will and he put it away. “Do pass my comments onto your master.”
I frowned slightly. Will made that sword not Mr. Brown. “I shall,” Will smiled. “A craftsman is always pleased to hear is work is appreciated.”
Just then Elizabeth came walking down the stairs in a brand new dress. I smiled up to my friend.
“Elizabeth,” said Governor Swann, “you look absolutely stunning.”
“Will, Jezabell, it’s so good to see you two,” she said walking the rest of the stairs and over to us. “I had a dream about you last night,” she slightly chuckled.
“About me?” Will questioned. I rolled my eyes at my brothers love sick talk.
“Yes, is that entirely proper for you…” stuttered her father.
“About the day we met,” she continued. “Do you remember?”
“Yes, I remember,” I smiled at her; “I…” my brother cut me off.
“How could I forget, Miss Swann.”
She leaned forward to him, “Will, how many times must I ask you to call me Elizabeth.” She smiled at him.
My brother smiled, “At least once more, Miss Swan. As always.” Elizabeth frowned.
“There, you see, at least the boy has a sense of propriety. Now, we really must be going.”
“Good day, Mr. Turner.” She said rather unhappily. “Good day, Jezabell,” she gave me a half smile and then walked out the door with her father.
“Good day, Elizabeth,” whispered Will.
“You are such a loon,” I said shaking my head and starting down the dirt road. “You and your love sick eyes for Elizabeth. God it’s maddening.”
“Oh, don’t you start, Jez,” he sighed.
I giggled, “You are so whipped. And you aren’t even courting her.”
“Am not,” he grumbled. I giggled as we made our way back to town.
****************************************************************************************************
Shots could be heard from the docks. I quickly ran over and saw a man, swing around on one of the loading lifts. I giggled as he landed unsteadily on a wooden plank and then slid down a rope to the dock. The Royal Navy shot at him as he ran passed the stone bridge and disappeared.
“Wow,” I whispered to Will. “What would it be like to live as a pirate,” I said dreamily.
“Oh yes, ‘cause getting shot at is always pleasant,” Will said rolling his eyes. He gently took hold of my arm, “Come on, crazy girl. We’d better get home.”
Will opened the door to the shop and inside, Bessie was rotating the holder, and of course she would never start on her own. I went over and calmed her down. Will walked over and saw that Mr. Brown was still in a drunken sleep in his chair.
“Right where I left you,” whispered Will. He walked over to one of the weights that had a hammer on it. “Not where I left you. Jezabell, did you move this?”
“The hammer? No, I never touched it,” I said walking up to him. “What’s that?”
Will went over to pick it up but a sword slapped his hand. Both he and I looked up to see that man that was running away from the Royal Navy. He was incredibly handsome. With long brown dread locked hair and chocolate brown eyes.
I gulped. “You’re the one they’re hunting,” I whispered as he stepped towards us, sword raised.
“A pirate,” growled Will.
“You seem familiar, have I threatened you before?” he asked.
“I make a point of avoiding familiarity with pirates,” growled Will.
“Ah. Well then it would be ashamed to put a black mark on your record.” He bowed slightly. “Now if you’ll excuse me.” He turned away and Will reached out and pulled a sword from a holder and pointed at the pirate. I went to grab one too but he pushed me back. “Do you think this is wise, boy,” asked the pirate. “Crossing blades with a pirate.”
“You threatened Miss Swan,” he hissed.
“Oh my God, really?” I hissed at him. “You’re going to do this now?” I too reached over and grabbed a sword.
The pirate stroked Will’s sword with his own, “Only a little.” The pirate then lunged at both of us we each blocked the swing he threw at us. “You know what you’re doing, I’ll give you that. Excellent form. But how’s your foot work?” he questioned. “If I step here…” as the pirate moved Will and I moved the opposite way, making it look like we were dancing in a circle. “Very good. Now I step again.” He spun us in a circle till he was closest to the door. He nodded, “Ta,” and he placed his sword back into its sheath and went to leave.
Will threw the sword, just barely missing the pirates head and it stuck in the door to where it would not open. The pirate grabbed the sword and tried to pull it out but it was stuck. I smirked.
“That is a wonderful trick,” he said, aggravated. “Except, once again, you are between me and my way out. And now, you have no weapon.”
I stepped in front of Will and held my sword up at him. “But I do.”
The pirate shook his head, “This is no kitchen, love. I suggest that you move.”
Will reached over and pulled a red hot poker out of the fire. Bessie saw the poker and began to move in her little circle. Again we launched into a sword fight. Well, mostly Will and the pirate, since Will kept pushing me out of the way. The pirate used his chains from his broken irons to wrap around Will’s weapon and pull it away. Will dove over and grabbed one of the many other swords off the wheel.
“Who makes all these?” Inquired the pirate.
“I do,” snapped Will. “And I practice with them three hours a day,” he said dodging a hatchet.
“You need to find yourself a girl, mate,” said the pirate. The then looked over to me. “Unless that’s your girl…”
“Sister,” I growled swing at him.
“My bad, love,” he smiled continuing to fight Will and I. Will shoved me away and he and the pirate both had each other by the swords. “Or, perhaps the reason you practice three hours a day is that you already found one and are otherwise in capable of wooing said strumpet.” He paused. “You’re not a eunuch, are you?”
“I practice three hours a day so that when I meet a pirate, I can kill it,” yelled Will.
They jumped up onto the wagon and began to uneasily sway as the stoppers broke. The pirate once again wrapped his chain around Will’s weapon but Will, this time put his weapon threw the rings and stuck it up into the rafter above them. The pirate found a loose board in the wagon and it flew up, hitting Will in the face. The pirate pulled himself up and used his arms and legs to pull the sword out of the rafter. When he did he fell back onto the wagon, sending Will up into the rafters. The pirate smirked at Will and Will smirked back as he cut the ropes of some sand bags and sent the pirate up with him.
“Oh, now really. Is that fair!” I shouted up at them as they began to sword fight acrossed the rafters.
The men began jumping opposite rafters of each other. And one time Will didn’t jump. The pirate was puzzled when he saw that they were on the same rafter now but began to sword fight again. Will knocked the sword out of the pirates hand and he escaped back onto the floor. Will jumped down next to me and we waited for him. The pirate grabbed a bag of powder and sprayed it into our faces I felt my sword being kicked out of my hand and when I went to face the pirate he had a pistol pointed in my face.
“You cheated,” said Will.
“Pirate.” Bangs could be heard from the door and I knew the Royal Navy was here. I brushed away the powder and hair from my face. “Even like this you look lovely, darlin’.” Smiled the pirate. Will jumped in front of the door and the pirate’s pistol moved with him. “Move away,” he commanded Will.
“No.”
“Please move,” the pirate asked in desperation.
“No! I cannot just step aside and let you escape.”
The pirate loaded his pistol. “This shot is not meant for you.”
Will and I cocked our head, confused for a moment. Then, a glass was broken over the pirates head and he fell to the floor, unconscious. Behind him was Mr. Brown. The Royal Navy then burst through the doors and came rushing in. They walked over and pointed their bayonets down at the pirate.
“Excellent work, Mr. Brown,” spoke Commodore Norrington. “You’ve assisted in the capture of a dangerous fugitive.”
“Just doing my civic duty, sir,” said Mr. Brown. Will and I rolled our eyes.
“Well, I will trust that you will always this is the day that Captain Jack Sparrow almost escaped. Take him away.” And the Royal Navy left.
My eyes widened at the name of the Pirate. “Jack Sparrow,” I hissed to Will. “He’s one of the most known pirates around!”
“He’s a pirate, Jez,” Will sighed walking away and started to work again.
I sighed myself and went to wash my face.