Please Be Mine

Chapter 1

"God Riley I really wish I knew why you had one of those stupid Tumblr blogs," Julian, Riley's older brother, said.
"Because it's like an easy photo diary to keep up."
"You just post hockey pictures."
"It's like a collage. I have the hockey blog and then what I call my 'personal' blog where I post different pictures, sometimes myself."
"Well you're going to be working for one of those hockey teams now. Do you really think its right for you to still be blogging?"
"To be honest I rarely go on the hockey one anyway. The girls there are mean and jealous so I spend most of my time on my personal."
"So when are you leaving?"
"Soon actually. I'm working the game today and flying to Pittsburgh with them tonight."
"I still can't believe you're going to be working for the fucking Penguins. How did a little shit like you get so lucky?"
"It's called being good at my job. They said they're not putting me out tonight though. I'm spending the game in the locker room with Crosby which sucks."
"Oh yeah, what a nightmare spending a whole game alone in a locker room with one of hockey's best players, how dreadful."
"I'd rather be on the bench with the team."
"Yeah well I'm sure you will be soon. Come on, I'll drive you to the BAC."

Riley Demarco had just become the new assistant trainer for the Pittsburgh Penguins. As uncommon as it was for a female to be working in the locker room the Penguins nearly begged for her because of how good she was.
She would be starting with them that night against the Florida Panthers then fly to Pittsburgh with the team. She was extremely happy and excited and couldn't wait to get started.

"Riley you call me if any of those guys tries to get sweet with you. I'll come to Pittsburgh and kill someone."
"Thanks Julian but I think I'll be fine. I love you."
"I love you too."
Riley gave her brother a long hug goodbye before following an attendant and being showed to the Pittsburgh locker room.
"When's the new trainer getting here?" Sidney Crosby asked his teammates as they suited up for the game.
"I don't know, now I guess. Why?"
"Well he's spending the game in here with me and I was just wondering when exactly I was going to meet him."
A girl suddenly walked in with an attendant.
"Hey wouldn't it be hilarious if that was our new trainer?" Max Talbot asked with a laugh.
"Uh, guys?" Brooks Orpik chimed. "That is our new trainer."
"No way bro."
"Not kidding. Coach told me about her on our way here from the hotel. Apparently we are super lucky to have her."
"Oh my god, our new trainer is a little girl," Brent Johnson said.
"Maybe little to you but not to us," Jordan Staal said with wandering eyes. "She is hot."
"Curvy, definitely curvy though," Max added.
"I'm not until big and curvy but more power to you dudes," Tyler Kennedy said before continuing to dress.
"Well I'm going to go talk to her," Max said before walking over to the girl.
Riley was looking around the crowded locker room for Penguins coach Dan Bylsma when Max Talbot popped up in front of her.
"Hi," he said with a smile.
"Hey."
"You're our new trainer right?"
"Yeah, I'm Riley."
"Max. I heard you're pretty good at what you do."
"I try my best."
"You don't have to be modest here."
"Ok well then I'm the fucking shit. Better?"
"Much," he said with a laugh. "I heard you're spending your time with Sid though."
"Yeah I guess they just want me to take it easy today and jump into it when we get to Pittsburgh."
"Well why don't you follow me so I can introduce you to the guys?"
"I actually had to let Dan know I was here."
"Don't worry; I'll take you to him afterwards."
"Um... Ok," she said with a smile.

Max led her to the group of players and introduced Riley to everyone by their nicknames.

"Ok so we have Sid, Brooksy, Staalsy, Flower, Beej and Testi. The rest you'll meet throughout the night I guess. This is Riley guys, our new trainer."
"Nice to meet you Riley. I heard you and Sid are spending the night together," Jordan said with a smirk.
"Yep, just me and him. All alone, for one whole game," Riley said.
"Wanna trade spots Sid?" Max asked.

Riley looked at him with a slightly surprised look, Max simply smiling at her.

“Actually I think today is going to be the first time I'm ok with not playing,” Sidney said with a wide smile.

Riley was definitely not used to having guys fawn over her and actually felt a bit awkward.

“Um I think I should check in with Dan now. Max?”
“Right.”

He led her to the small coach’s office and left her with Dan.

“So she's awesome,” Jordan said as soon as Max came back.
“She is. I mean I'm sure it’s going to take some getting used to having a girl around but it should be fun.”
“I seriously want to know though how she got this job. I mean she must have something real special.”
“Guess we’ll just need to see her in action.”

Riley walked out of the office with Dan.

“I really cannot wait to see her in action,” Jordan said with a giant grin.
“Pull yourself together man,” Brooks chuckled.
“What man? She's probably my age too.”
“I'm actually twenty-one,” Riley said from behind.
“Yep, right around my age pool.”
“Well coach said I can start taping you guys up. Anyone need to get their wrists wrapped?”

Jordan, Max and Brooks followed her to the training area and she started taping them up, Max last.

“I know this may sound weird but your hands feel a lot nicer than Greg’s,” Max said about the other trainer.
“Thanks.”
“So you're twenty-one and a trainer for a major franchise. You must be really good.”
She shrugged.

“I got lucky. My father is part owner of the Miami Dolphins and I was able to work with them. People started talking shit saying ‘oh she's there because her daddy got her the job’ but they made me go through the same hiring procedures every other person that wanted the job had to go through. I just had an easy in and I took it. My dad didn’t get me this job; I got it on my own. I don’t care what people say about me though. I'm good at what I do, if I wasn’t I wouldn’t be here right now.”
“I really admire you for that.”
“Thanks. I know you guys aren’t used to having a girl around and probably don’t want to walk around naked or anything but just know I grew up with three older brothers and was around the Dolphins 24/7 so trust me when I say I have seen it all. I just want you guys to treat me like you would any other trainer. Just don’t push me around; I don’t like being pushed around. I also don’t want you guys to think I'm a puck bunny. I'm not here to screw around with you guys. This is my job and I expect you guys to respect me.”
“Trust me we will. I have to ask though, what if you actually started liking a player?”
“I have my reasons not to date anyone here.”
“Like what?”
“I’d rather not get into it Max, I'm sorry.”

She finished his wrist then sent him back into the dressing room.
The team was soon on the ice for warm ups, Dan letting Riley watch over them as they practiced.

“The ones we normally watch during warm ups are Flower and Max because they tend to mess around with each other a little too much,” Greg explained to Riley. “In fact there they go.”

Riley looked over at Max and Flower tapped him with his stick, Max turning around and running into Flower. Jordan came next and he nearly tackled Flower to the ice.

“Oh god, they're like a bunch of kids,” Riley said with a laugh.
“Yeah and what do kids have tendency to do?”
“Hurt themselves.”
“Exactly. You'll see how bad it gets at practices. Nearly half of their injuries come from practices.”
“I can only imagine.”

Riley watched as Max skated around, using his stick as an air guitar and jamming to Nickelback.

“Max sure is a character,” she said to Greg.
“He’s the jokester. Him and Flower are always screwing around with the team. Max has a big heart though. You'll get the hand of their personalities soon enough. Everyone on this team is quirky in their own special way.”
“I'm sure.”

The fifteen minute work out soon ended and they were back in the locker room.

“All right guys this one shouldn’t be too hard. These guys are last in their conference and have nothing left in them. Let’s keep these bitches in check and put another one in the books. We are going with Talbo, Staalsy, TK, Orpik and Tangers. Beej you’re in the cage. Let’s get out there!”

The guys lined up and headed out leaving Riley and Sidney alone.

“So do you ever do anything while in here?” Riley asked Sidney.
“Well I only just got back. I just sit in here and watch the game.”

Riley sighed and sat up on one of the tables.

“So how long have you been a sports trainer?”
“Since high school. Did football and baseball then moved on to the Dolphins.”
“Miami Dolphins?”
“Yeah.”
“So you’ve dealt with pro teams then?”
“Yeah. They gave me the recommendation that got me this job.”
“That’s pretty impressive.”
“Thanks.”

TK scored the first goal nearly two minutes into the game but the Panthers soon answered back with two back-to-back goals. The Pens came in after the first down by one.

“What the hell was that guys? You should be painting the glass with these guys. Get your heads out of your ass’ and come back and win this thing. We’re out in fifteen,” Dan said before walking into his office.

Max walked over to Riley who was still sitting up on the table and sat down in front of her.

“Hey.”
“Hey Max,” she said without looking up from her phone.
“What’d you do in here?”
“Exactly what you see me doing.” She put her phone down and looked up at him. “Max I’ve been to over thirty Panthers games this season and I'm being honest when I say they can creep up on you. Yeah they’re last in the East but remember they have nothing to lose and they will drive you into the glass if they have to.”
“Maybe you should tell coach this.”
“I have no right telling him what to tell you guys and I don’t want to undermine or disrespect him.”
“Fine then I'll tell him.”
“No Max don’t!”

It was too late though and Max was already on his way to the office. Not a minute later did Dan walk out and call Riley over.

“Coach I was only telling Max that I swear I didn’t…” she rambled when she got to Dan.
“Whoa whoa whoa, slow down. I’m not upset. I actually want you to tell the guys everything you know.”
“Me? Coach they're not going to listen to me.”
“Yes they will. Hey guys listen up!” Dan yelled. “Riley knows a little bit about the team so she’s gonna give you guys some insight on how they work. Riley the floor is yours.”
“I know the Panthers are known to be a shitty team but they have ways to surprise you. The first time the Capitals came to town they beat them good, raping them actually when they played the team in DC. The Hawks were here a couple weeks ago and the Panthers made fools of the defending champs because they did what most teams do when they come down here, they underestimate the team and think it’s going to be easy. The Panthers know this and they're going to come at you hard. You need to watch out for the Booth/Santorelli duo. Santos has a great shot and they’ll have guys like Kulikov and Hordichuck take you out so he can get in. The Panthers take advantage of bounces and they’ll make you pay for a turnover. This team is third in the league in penalty killing and they’ll make you their bitch and make you feel like you’re the ones with the penalty. You should be playing every game as if it’s a championship game. Don’t sell a team short just because of their standings.”

Everyone was silent for a second then they got rowdy and started clapping.

“Atta girl,” Dan said with a pat on the back.
A few other guys did the same and they got pumped.

They took Riley's advice going into the second and Dupuis got one in after a bad turnover by Reasoner. The third period was even better; Michalek got one in on an odd man rush and Adams sealed the deal with an empty netter.

“All right all right! I think you guys know who you have to thank for this win,” Dan said.
“You’re amazing Riley!” TK yelled.
“You guys were the ones getting hit; I just gave you some words of encouragement. This was all you.”
“Bullshit. This is all thanks to you.”

She smiled widely.

“Well I'm just happy you guys won.”
“All right boys jump into those showers so we can get the hell out of here.”

Riley took care of all the players that needed tending to then headed out to the bus.

“Are you supposed to be here?” the bus driver asked her when she walked in.
“Yeah, I'm the new trainer.”
“Good one. No fans allowed on the bus.”
“Honestly sir, I'm not kidding.”
“You’re going to have to get off this bus or I'll have you escorted off.”

Riley put her hands up defensively and walked off the bus, the bus driver closing the door in her face.

“Asshole,” she muttered before walking back to the arena.

She walked into the locker room, passing three naked players and not giving a fuck.

“Hey I thought you had walked back onto the bus,” Max said.
“The ignorant asshole of a bus driver we have kicked me off thinking I'm a fan girl.”
“All right just wait for me here and we’ll walk out together.”

She nodded and patiently waited for him.

“All right lets go,” Max said once he was dressed.

Together they left the arena and walked to the bus. As they neared the bus driver opened the door.

“Excuse me but did you really not let her on the bus?” Max asked.
“I have never let a girl on any bus for any team I have driven.”
“Well this is our trainer and I believe you owe her an apology.”
“I'm sorry miss.”

Riley simply nodded and boarded the bus, Max taking the seat next to her.

“We’re probably going to go out to celebrate. Are you going to come with us?” Max asked.
“I don’t think so. I mean if I go back to Miami I feel like all I'm going to want to do is go home.”
“Oh come on, it’ll be fun.”
“Really Max, it’s just not a good idea. Maybe next time.”

He let out an exasperated sigh and nodded.

“Fine but next time I'm dragging you out if I have to.”

She chuckled.

“Ok, I give you permission to do so.”
“I'm holding you to it.”
“I believe you Max.”

When they got to the hotel Riley was given her room key and she headed straight up. She called her brother and told him about everything and he was very impressed with how she handled herself when she gave her speech. After a quick shower she was in bed, falling asleep to the Food Network.
♠ ♠ ♠
It may seem extremely unrealistic to have a girl working in a male locker room but it is possible. I was a trainer for the football and baseball team all throughout high school and you just get used to it. It's a job and a fun one to be honest. If you ever get the opportunity to train for any of your school sports teams do it.

I already have 70 pages to this story so updates will be posted quickly.