‹ Prequel: The Living Dead

Mortal Hearts

Part Six

The world was tinted blue around me. Light reflected off me. What? Shouldn’t I be dead? I looked around. Vampires were lined as far away from me as possible. Schaun had a deadly sneer on his lips; teeth bared. I looked down, but saw nothing but blue ground.

“How could this be?” I heard Schaun ask himself. “She should have been dead and Zelda should have come back. Why is her soul glowing? Why can’t I touch her? I WANT ANSWERS!” Schaun knocked over the ritual table. “Pete! You try to touch her!”

Obediently, Pete stepped toward me, hands outstretched. Before he was within three feet of me, he burst into ashes. This caused Schaun to roar with fury.

“You there! Try to touch her!”

I stood there and watched vampire after vampire burst into ashes as Schaun commanded his coven to touch me. Obviously, none succeeded.

“AHHHHHH!!!!!!” he bellowed.

All in one moment, I realized I didn’t have a body. My soul was floating in a blue flask while my bloody body lay still on the alter. My heart lied out beside the knife. It was beating still, slowly pumping, though there was no blood to pump.

Schaun was a terrible monster who had to be defeated, but how? I saw Rachel hiding in the shadows of a corner. Her eyes glowed a bright red. She needed to feed. I glanced at my dead body again. If only she would drink my blood, that would make her strong again. We could defeat Schaun together if she would just drink my blood and help me take him out, I thought to myself. As if I possessed telepathy, Rachel glanced at my glowing soul and back at my dead body like she wasn’t sure she really wanted to drink my blood. Then, quickly, she sank her cold, sharp fangs into my body’s neck. Somehow, I could still feel the pain. I cringed and felt myself cry out. No one could hear me though.

“What are you doing?!” Schaun screamed at Rachel as she wiped the blood from her mouth with the back of her hand. “Who do you think you are? You can’t just do that! It’s part of the ritual!” He backhanded her with a force that sent her flying into the wall and made the rocks crumble.

Growling, Rachel jumped back to her feet and pushed Schaun up against the other wall. Now that she had fed, she was two thousand times stronger than Schaun. Surely now we, or she rather, could defeat him. With vengeance in her eyes, she took both her hands and placed it on his skull, using her legs to keep him against the wall, and pulled. A popping noise sounded and a slivery vampire bloodlike substance flowed from Schaun’s broken skull. Rachel kneed him in the stomach and gouged his eyes out until the hung from their sockets in a purplish red color. Schaun collapsed to the ground. Rachel may have done a lot of physical damage that would have killed a human, but Schaun was still alive and kicking. Schaun had lost a lot of strength though. All he could muster was a soft “punch” against Rachel’s cheek as Rachel sunk her teeth into Schaun’s stone like flesh, bursting him to ashes.

I watched Rachel’s vampire body change back into a human body. Her frame became smaller, less muscular. The red pits of her eyes changed back to blue. Rachel’s teeth shrunk and became humanlike. When the transformation was done, Rachel shook her head. A moment later, she went into a serious seizure and lay motionless on the ground. How I wanted to go help her! But I couldn’t. Schaun’s ritual had backfired, causing me to loose my body and now my best friend looked dead as she lay stiff and silent on the cold dirt floor. When was this ever going to end?