Status: depends...

Shape of My Heart

Chapter Sixteen

My heard was beating like a drum on steroids I was so nervous. I slowly walked up the stairs to the roof of the hotel. When I get to the door I freeze. There’s a million thoughts going through my head. What if he does end it with me? But Donnie told Devika he wasn’t. What if he proposes? No, he’s told me he wouldn’t before at least two years. I finally shook all of the thoughts out of my head and opened the door.

“Wow.” Nick said the second I walked through the door onto the roof. “You look beautiful.” He walked over to me and wrapped his arms around my waist. I smiled as he kissed me. He took my hand and lead me over to a table set for two. He pulled my chair out and motioned me to sit down. When he sat across from me, he grabbed the champagne bottle from the center of the table and poured us both a glass. My hand was shaking like mad when he handed me my glass. “What’s wrong?” He asked as I sat my glass of wine down.

“Nothing… just really nervous, I guess.” I smiled and took a sip of my drink.

“Why?” Nick reached across the table and took my hands in his.

“Well,” I didn’t want to tell him the truth… it would devastate him. So, I used the other reason I was nervous. “my mom called during the concert, and she wants to visit me in Nashville.” I sighed. “I don’t know if I’m ready to see her in two weeks. It’s been almost eleven years, you know”

“I know,” He gently squeezed my hand. “but there’s nothing to be nervous about. I’ll be there the whole time.” Nick kissed my hands. I smiled and started to play with the leaf on the rose that was in the middle of the table. “I almost forgot!” Nick grabbed the rose and looked at it for a second. When he was done inspecting it, he handed it to me. “This is for you.”

“I’m… flattered?” I asked and smelt the rose. Something cold in the middle touched my nose. I pulled the rose away to see a tiny diamond in the center. “Nick?” He looked up at me. “Is this a-”

“No. Not yet, anyway. It’s a promise ring.” Nick looked started tracing a figure on the table.

“What?”

“A promise ring. It’s like saying I promise I’ll be with you forever… even if we break up. I’ll still be your best friend. No matter what, I’ll always be by your side, and love you for who you are.” Nick seemed even more nervous than I was. I smiled and slipped the tiny diamond ring on my finger.

“Ditto.” I smiled and leaned across the table and kissed him. “I love you.”

“I love you too.”

~*~

The next morning I woke up wrapped in Nick’s arms. I smiled and gently got out of bed to get ready for the day. Last night was absolutely perfect. After Nick asked me to take his ring, we danced until three in the morning. When we finally got back to the hotel room, we just laid there and watched a movie. It was perfect. I grabbed some clothes from my suitcase and ran to the bathroom to shower. When I was dressed and ready for the day, I went back into the room and Nick was now cuddled with a pillow that was next to him. I smiled and walked over to the bed. “Nick.” He grumbled and turned over. “Nick, baby. It’s time to get up.” I shook his shoulder and ducked right as his arm came swinging around.

“I’m up.” He sighed and sat up. “Good morning, lovely.” He smiled and rubbed his eyes. “How did you sleep?”

“Great.” I smiled and sat on the bed next to him. “But when I woke up, there was a huge imprint from my ring on my cheek. I need to stop sleeping on my left hand.” I laughed and kissed him. “Get ready, stinky.” I scrunched up my nose and put my shoes on.

“I’m not stinky! You are!” He stuck his tongue out at me and got in the shower. I heard the hotel room door burst open.

“Good morning sunshine!” Kelsi walked around the corner. “Let’s see the rock he gave you last night. Come on. Let Kelsi take a good long look at the thing.” She plopped down on the bed and held out her hand. I rolled my eyes and sat my left hand on top of her right. “Oh my goodness! That puppy is huge!”

“Not as big as your engagement ring.” I laughed and took my hand back.

“Yeah, but for a promise ring it’s pretty darn big.”

“I know. I really didn’t expect him to give me anything like this last night.” I smiled and remembered what we had said last night.

“I love you.”

“I love you, too.” Nick replied. “I have no idea how to follow this up to make this less awkward. He laughed nervously.

“I don’t either.” I laughed with him. “Do you really mean this Nick?” I asked and looked at the ring I had just put on.

“Of course I do, Katie.” Nick stood up and walked over to me. “Why would I give you something this serious if I didn’t mean it?” He knelt down beside me and looked right into my eyes. “I love you, Katie. And nothing could ever change that. Nothing.” He took my face in his hand and kissed my lips slightly. “Forever.”

“Forever.” I whispered back.


“Anyway, now that you’re pre-engaged, we have to start planning your wedding.” Kelsi said, bringing me back to reality.

“Pre-what?”

“Pre-engaged. That’s what a promise ring is, technically.” Kelsi shrugged casually.

“Okay!” I heard the hotel door burst open again. This time, Devika came through the door. “Let me see it. Let me see the ring.” I laughed and held out my left hand. “Dang! Did he propose or give you a promise ring? That thing is huge!” Devika got closer to examine the ring better.

“I swear if one more person asks to see this ring-”

“Let me see it!” I heard Howie burst through the door.

“Seriously?” I whispered under my breath.

~*~

“So, have you and A.J. decided on a date for the wedding?” I asked as Kelsi and I ordered our frozen yogurt.

“Yeah. We’ve decided on June sixth. After tour is over.” Kelsi smiled and took a bite of her cheesecake yogurt.

“Very romantic.” I smiled and took a bite of my chocolate mousse yogurt. “The summertime. In Florida.”

“On the beach.”

“Oh my gosh! A beach wedding? That would be perfect!”

“Well, A.J.’s not too fond of the idea.” Kelsi shrugged and took another bite. “I’m pretty sure he thinks he’ll melt in the sun if we do.” She rolled her eyes. “Anyway, what about you and Nick? You have to set a date for your wedding.”

“For the eighteenth time, he didn’t propose!” I sighed.

“Wow. You kept count? Impressive.”

“Oh, shut up.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay! new chapter! I hope you're all enjoying it! I'm enjoying writing it!

xx

Lindsay!