Status: depends...

Shape of My Heart

Chapter Two

“All I want to know, is why you lied to me, Aaron!”

“Can you please lower your voice? My head is killing me.” Aaron groaned and grabbed the orange juice out of the fridge.

“No, Aaron. I will not lower my voice!” I was beyond furious. Aaron told me he was going to Nick’s house for the night, but he came home drunk and high. “Why!? Why did you not tell me you were going to be at a party?!”

“Because I was afraid you would yell at me!”

“I would have told you ‘have fun, don’t hurt yourself. I love you’! I wouldn’t have yelled at you! You made sure I did by coming home at three o’clock drunk!”

“You said I could go to a party every now and then!” Aaron yelled back.

“Yeah, but I would like you to tell me when you’re going to a party! I don’t want to find out at three o’clock in the damn morning when you’re busting through the door while I think you’re at Nick’s house!”

“What makes you think I wasn’t at Nick’s house?!”

“I called him this morning while you were upstairs puking your guts out!”

“Wow… you don’t trust me!? Just because you’re this absolutely perfect girl doesn’t mean you’re dating a perfect guy, you know. I’m not Nick!”

“I actually called Nick to yell at him for letting you get as wasted as you were! He had absolutely no idea what I was talking about. That’s how I found out you weren’t at his house!”

“Oh, what ever!” He threw the glass that he was drinking out of on the ground. “Why don’t you just run to Nick!? Just leave me for Nick?! I know you want to! I know you love him, Katie!” That was the last straw. I ran out of the room and grabbed my keys and jacket. “Where are you going?!” Aaron yelled at me.

“As far away from you as possible!” I ran out the door and slammed it behind me.

~*~

“Katie?” Nick opened the door. “What’s wrong?” He asked and wrapped me in one of his amazing bear hugs. I couldn’t talk, I was choking on my own sobs. “Here, come in.” He lead me inside and sat me on the couch. “What did Aaron do? Do I need to kill him? I mean, he’s my brother, but I have no fear in shedding a little blood for you, Katie.” Nick took my hand. I took a deep breath and let out a long sigh.

“It’ll probably sound really stupid when you hear it… but he came busting in through the front door at three this morning obviously drunk, but he smelled like pot too. So we got into a big argument about it when he finally woke up. But the worst part is that he told me that he was staying the night over here for the night.” I took another breath. “I don’t know why he would lie to me, Nick!” I started to cry again. He got up off the footrest and sat next to me on the couch.

“I don’t know.” He wrapped his arms around me. “I warned you before you started dating him that he was an ass.” He kissed my hair.

“I know, but why would he pull something like this two years into the relationship? Is he getting sick of me?” I asked and held onto Nick’s arms and cried. It was silent before the house phone rang and Nick got up to answer it. “If it’s Aaron, I’m not here.” I whispered as he picked up the phone.

“Hello?… Hey Aaron… no she’s not here… why would she be over?… Isn’t she there?… Why did she run out?… Oh, I see… okay, I’ll keep an eye out for her… okay… bye.” Nick hung up. “Well, he’s freaking out. He said that if I see you, he’s really sorry for being such an asshole, and to please come home.” Nick sat down next to me again. “What are you going to do?”

“I don’t know. If I go back, and he’s really sorry, things will go back to normal… but if he’s not truly sorry, where would I go?” He wrapped his arms around me again.

“You can come back here. Your room is still upstairs, you know. Marcy wanted to make it into her office, but I said no. You should be proud of me.” He smiled as if he just did the most noble thing in the world and I couldn’t help but laugh.

"That's really kind of you Nick, but I couldn't impose. Your relationship is so new and..." I don’t like her. “I would just feel like a bother to you guys.”

"Katherine Ann Anderson, you would not be imposing! I never want to hear you say something like that again!" He smiled and winked at me. I felt the blood rushing to my cheeks as the front door open.

“I know, mom, but… I’ll call you later.” Marcy said as she looked at Nick and I and hung up her phone. “Hey, Katie. Long time no see! When was the last time we saw each other? Three… four months ago?” I nodded. “Oh, have you been crying? What‘s the matter, honey?” I could hear the sarcasm in her voice.

“Marcy, now’s not the time to mess with her, okay?” Nick defended me quickly.

“I’m not messing with her, I’m genuinely asking.”

“Aaron and I got into a big fight, okay?” I snapped. “I gotta go. Might as well go home and get this over with. Thanks Nick.” I got up from the couch. “I may take up your offer if things get worse.” I nodded and headed for the door.

“See you later, Katie. Come by anytime you want to.” Nick said running after me. “And I mean it… anytime.” He smiled and gave me a big hug.

“I will.” I hugged him back. “See you soon. Bye Marcy.” I said and left. Better now than never.
♠ ♠ ♠
Making a bit more sense? Hope so!
xx
Lindsay!