Darling I Do

Chapter 1

Why.

Had.

She.

Come?

Severus took her gossamer toned robe from her and hung it on the rickety coat rack in his entrance hall. He suddenly became very self conscious of his home. As a child, the home had been hell for Severus, but now, as a lonely adult, it was just a place to lay his head.

Drip.

Drip.

Drip.

He could practically hear her tears falling. It was just that silent between the two of them. Lily was sitting on Severus's ragged sofa, her face buried in her hands as she sobbed and wept. Severus had never been in the presence of a crying woman before, and for some unknown reason, this crying woman scared him.

"We haven't spoken in years, Sev, and I should have forgiven you, even after you apologized to me." Lily's voice sounded scratchy.

Broken.

Defeated.

So unlike the Lily Evans he had grown to know and love deeply, not that he would ever share such a thing with her. The idea in and of itself was quite ludicrous. So ludicrous in fact that Severus no longer wanted to think about it.

"It's fine," he found himself saying numbly. "I don't mind."

For whatever reason, these words seemed to send Lily into another fit of tears and sobbing. Severus, however, just wished to understand why she was here. He wasn't complaining at all, mind you, but the fact that he hadn't seen Lily in three years and hadn't spoken to her in five made him want to know what suddenly had changed her mind.

"James.

He.

Left.

Me."

He knew they'd been together but was unsure if they'd gotten married at some point. Severus spared a furtive glance down at Lily's hands and saw there was no ring or ring mark to be found. He frowned slightly at this but stayed silent.

"I told him

I

Was

Pregant

And he left."

Severus's eyes flicked over to meet hers involuntarily. There was more to this, he knew. Or else she would not have come to him at all. She could have gone to Marlene McKinnon.

Alice Longbottom.

Andromeda Tonks.

But she had come to him and that puzzled him. If it was something as simple as James bloody Potter leaving her she could have just gone to one of her other friends. "Why would he do such a thing?" he found himself asking.

Because.

He.

Was.

Dying.

To.

Know.

"He was having an affair...with Marlene McKinnon.

Not

Even

Sirius

Knew!

When I told him i was pregnant, he said he'd been coming to me that night to tell me that

Marlene

was

pregnant

and he was going to go...be with her!"

When Severus heard this, he felt a strange sort of heat rising everywhere at once. His eyes began to glint red and he knew he was growing furious. Lily hadn't been able to see that swine James Potter for what he was and that very thought made Severus want to hit something. But he remained placidity externally.

"I am terribly sorry, Lily. You can, of course, stay here as long as you wish. Does Black know of Potter's decision?" He threw James Potter's name from his mouth as though it were diseased.

"I owled him about it, of course. He's positively furious!" Lily said with a bitter laugh.

Severus made no move to continue speaking though. He decided it might be best for Lily to let out her feelings. And so, he gathered her in his arms, something he thought she would object to but didn't, and let her sob her sweet heart out.

He.

Would.

Kill.

James.

Potter.