Status: In the works....

Simple Kind of Life

Chapter 12

Avery’s eyes scanned over the call buttons outside of the apartment complex before she found G12. She pressed her finger against the button and waited for his response.

“Yeah?” Came a fuzzy version of Jeff’s voice through the intercom.

She pressed the “talk” button on the speaker. “It’s me.”

A buzz rang out, signaling the front door was unlocked. She took the elevator to Jeff’s floor and quickly found his door. After a light knock, the door opened to reveal the tall blond.

“You look nice.” He mused before placing a small kiss on her cheek and stepping aside to let her in. She was in a simple dress and heels, which differed greatly from her usual attire of paint laden jeans and a t-shirt.

“Thank you,” She held up a bottle. “I brought wine.”

He took it, poured it into two glasses and handed one to her. It surprised Avery how much space he had in the apartment. She always pictured them to be cramped, but this was huge.

“I ordered Italian, hope that’s OK.” She nodded as he led her to the dining room. The smell of food hit her nose and made her mouth water. They sat down and he served her some pasta with chicken before serving himself.

“Your apartment is beautiful.” She commented softly as she cut up her food.

He just shrugged. “Thanks. My mom decorated it.”

Avery smiled. “Really?”

He nodded. “Yep. I don’t know anything about that stuff. If it were up to me, there’d be NASCAR stuff everywhere.”

Avery covered her mouth. “NASCAR? I didn’t peg you for a hick.”

He grinned. “Yeah, I wear overalls without a shirt and I have a thing for my cousin.”

She nudged his leg with her foot as she laughed. “You’re gross.”

He leaned closer to her. “You like it.”

She couldn’t deny that she liked his sense of humor, she liked being with him. Though she didn’t intend to tell him about James, she figured she owed it to him. It was also early enough in their relationship that if Jeff was irked by her ever growing baggage, he could bail and it wouldn’t destroy her feelings.

She just didn’t know how to start the conversation.

“So I’ve been speaking with my husband.” She said quietly.

Jeff eyes shifted from his food to the woman’s face. A strange feeling settled into his stomach, almost like a sinking sensation. He knew what would happen next, it was only a matter of time. She was breaking it off.

“Oh.” He sighed, moving his chicken around his plate with a fork. “Well, we had fun, right?”

Her eyebrows knitted together. “What?”

“I know how this works. You have history with him, I get it. You didn’t have to come here-”

“I don’t want to get back together with him, if that’s what you’re suggesting.”

Jeff pursed his lips together as he scratched the back of his head. “Oh.” He said again, feeling stupid.

“Even if I wanted to go back, I can’t. I won’t.”

Jeff studied her face, watching the frown lines appear on her forehead. And then he remembered the pictures at her home; the happy, smiling faces of her and her husband. What had gone wrong? What had taken away their happiness? Cam had mentioned a conversation with Avery, who cited drugs as a factor, but Jeff wanted details. His curiosity was piqued.

“Why can’t you go back?” He asked, hoping she wouldn’t get upset and shut down the conversation.

Avery sighed softly to herself. “There are certain things you don’t do in a relationship. And those things, you can never take them back. You can never make it better.”

Jeff immediately thought of infidelity, but given how open she had been to their arrangement, it didn’t fit. There must have been something else. Something worse.

“Avery,” He spoke with a gentle tone. Jeff had never had to ask this question and he felt like he was walking on eggshells. “Did he ever hit you?”

She didn’t answer, nor did she have to. Her neck tensed as her eyes shifted away from his. He didn’t see anger or sadness written across her face. It was shame.

A surge of heat rushed through his face as his fingers clenched. That piece of shit broke the cardinal rule of being a man, the rule a father pounds into his little boy’s head from the start: You never, under any circumstance, ever hit a girl. Even if they’re asking for it.

Something else settled into his mind that made his rising anger spike. “What about Lili?”

Avery frowned deeply. “Never. Lili is James’ world. He’d never lay a finger on her. I’d slice his balls off if he did.”

Jeff chuckled softly, knowing it was true. Avery was very protective of her family. “Did it happen a lot?”

She shook her head. “Just once. When he was high.” She pushed some hair behind her ear. “Once was enough. That’s why I’m leaving him. I didn’t want Lili thinking it’s OK to let a man abuse her.”

“She saw it?”

“The whole thing.”

Jeff nodded, unsure of what to say as his heart thumped rapidly against his chest. He was afraid his anger would get the best of him, so he just slid his hand over hers and squeezed lightly.

How could a father do something so damaging to his family? It didn’t make sense and it bothered him that someone would put their hands on Avery, especially in front of her daughter. His jaw clenched and unclenched as he thought about it. This James guy better hope they never meet up.

“Listen, I didn’t tell you that so you can feel sorry for me. I just want to be up front about everything. And if any of it freaks you out, just-”

“Avery,” He stopped her midsentence, making her shoulders slump. “How’s your dinner?”

She tilted head and grinned at him. She seemed relieved that he was changing the subject. Jeff didn’t want their night together to be ruined on account of her soon-to-be ex. “It’s delicious.”

“Do I know how to order food or what?”

She rolled her eyes. “You’re brilliant.”

They finished up their dinner and settled in on the couch to watch a movie. He automatically threw an arm around her slender shoulders and she nestled against him. It felt nice to sit with her, to relax. There were no expectations, no preconceived notions. Things were easy.

About ten minutes into the film, the pair grew bored and soon Avery’s lip settled on the stubbled skin of Jeff’s neck. Her mouth made the blond hairs on his arms stand up as goose bumps spread across his body. He easily pulled her into his lap, making her straddle his thighs.

Their attention was quickly grabbed when the beep of a text rang through the room.

“You should get it,” Avery murmured against his lips before pulling away. “It could be important.”

Jeff sighed while he struggled to pull his phone from his pocket. With hazy eyes, he peered at the illuminated screen. It was a text from Giroux. A couple guys were going out for drinks and they wanted him to come along. His fingers nimbly glided across the keyboard in response.

maybe next time

He silenced the phone and placed it on couch cushion next to him. Having a drink with the boys sounded great. After their game, Laviolette had made it clear that Jeff was on his shit list. The blond had found himself in a slump, four games without a point and that afternoon made five. He was frustrated and needed to blow off some steam, but he also wanted to spend time with Avery. She could help him blow off steam in a very different way.

"Was it important?" Avery asked between placing airy kisses just below his ear.

"No,” His hands roamed across the sheer fabric that covered her back before he pulled the dress over her head, leaving her in just a mismatched pair of lingerie. “Just some of my teammates are going out."

Avery shrugged. "Did you want to go? We can hang out another time."

Jeff shook his head. "It's OK. Really. Stay."

The phone vibrated, announcing another message. It was G again.

pussywhipped

Jeff frowned at the screen, his eyes reading and rereading the text. It was no secret that Jeff led the team’s group of single men. He was king of the bachelors, the life of the party and it irked him to think his title was being questioned, especially by the up-and-coming hotshot Giroux.

“Jeff, seriously. If you want to go, then go.” She giggled when Jeff tossed her down on the couch and slid over top of her.

“How about we finish up here and you come with me?”

She frowned. “I don’t think they’d appreciate me tagging along for their boys’ night out.”

“Cam will be there.” His mouth touched down between her breasts. Avery inhaled sharply as his lips migrated down her torso. It made him smile against her skin. She was very ticklish and he loved making her squirm.

“Cam doesn’t like me.” She whispered, her fingers grabbing at Jeff’s shaggy hair.

“Cam doesn’t like anyone,” He ran his tongue along the edge of where the lace of her panties met her warm skin. “No more talking.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments?

A little update for my subbies :) Also, I am officially hosting a contest! Go check it out and enter if you dare...