Status: In the works....

Simple Kind of Life

Chapter 23

One thing Avery missed about being a Santiago was all the amazing cooking. Cruz could throw together a meal like nobody's business.

"Another tamale, mija?" The older woman asked, reaching for a plate stacked with them.

"No thanks. I'm stuffed." Out of the corner of her eye, Avery watched James finish another beer. Though it wasn’t heroin, it still made her uncomfortable to see him drinking. But she wasn’t going to bring it up. It seemed impossible, but Avery and her ex finally found a comfortable spot in their tumultuous relationship. Divorce was really working out for them and Avery couldn't be happier. So she’d keep this grievance to herself.

Cruz shook her head and plopped one on Avery's plate anyway. "Eat. I could break you over my knee like a stick."

Who was she to argue with the Santiago matriarch?

"Me too." Lili held out her plate and Cruz gladly gave her another tamale.

"That's my girl." James beamed from his end of the kitchen table.

Once dinner was over, Avery helped Cruz clean up while James and Lili started watching a movie.

“You know James is looking for an apartment?” Cruz said casually as she attacked a pan with a soapy sponge.

“Is he?” Avery tried to mask her distain for the idea. It gave her peace of mind to know that if she left Lili with James, Cruz would be there too. This made her uncomfortable.

“His job is going well, he got a promotion.” Cruz peered over at the woman. “He is doing really well, Av.”

“I know he is. I just-”

“I know you’re not thrilled with idea. That’s why he’s looking for a place around here. So I can go over and be with them until you’re more comfortable with James being alone with her.”

Avery wanted to believe there would be a time in which she’d be able to truly trust James. But she had seen the same song and dance before. There were plenty of times that James had cleaned up his act only to fall back into old habits. Before when they were married, at least she could be there to protect Lili. Now that they weren’t together, Avery feared he’d relapse and Lili would be left alone with him.

“I don’t know, Cruz.”Avery took the pan the older woman had just rinsed off and dried it with a dish towel.

“You’re going to have to let him have a chance sometime.”

“I hate to burst his bubble, but I have sole custody of our daughter. If I don’t like the situation, he won’t see her.”

Cruz’s eyes widened. She wasn’t used to her daughter-in-law being so ruthless. “Avery, that’s not fair.”

“You’re right. And I hate to be so blunt. But that’s my baby and I will do what I have to in order to protect her.”

“Mommy,” The tension between the women dissolved in the presence of Liliana. She scurried over to her mother and grabbed her hand. “Are you coming? You’re missing the movie.”

Avery turned her gaze to Cruz. “Go, mija. I’ll finish up out here.”

The three of them sat and watched “Monster House” until Lili fell asleep in her father’s lap. He gingerly picked her up and wrapped the child in her winter coat while Avery dressed for the weather.

“I’ll carry her out.” James offered, following Avery outside. He placed Lili in her car seat and closed the door as gently as he could. Now came the time where they’d talk. They always seemed to make the most conversation outside in the cold night before Avery would leave.

“Your mother said you were looking for an apartment.”

He nodded. “Yeah. I applied for a two bedroom in Penndel. It’s only a few miles away.”

“What spurred this decision?”

James smiled. “I’m gonna be 33 and I still live with my mother. Isn’t that reason enough?”

They shared a small chuckle. “Good point. Is it a decent place?"

He nodded. "Yeah. It's a little more expensive than in the city, but I want to stay in the area in case Lili needs me. Or if you do."

"Thanks," His soft gaze made her slightly nervous. "I appreciate it."

"No problem. Anything for you." She felt how close he was to her and the alcohol on his breath set off alarms in her head.

He placed two strong hands on her shoulders, making her look into his warm brown eyes. "I miss you, Av."

"Jamie." She sighed, shifting her gaze away from him. "It's done. We're not married anymore."

"I know. But that doesn't mean I don't love you anymore."

"Please don't do this. You’re drunk."

He ignored her. "And deep down, I know you still love me too."

He was wrong. James would always be special to her. He was the first man she ever gave her heart to and he'd always carry a piece of it. And he gave her the greatest gift of all; a beautiful baby girl. But what she felt for him was different now. There was no romance, no spark. Not like what she had with Jeff.

"I'm always going to care about you, Jamie," She rubbed his stubbled cheek with her hand. "But-" She was about to explain how she wasn't in love with him anymore, but he cut her off.

Without warning, his grip on her tightened and he pulled her closer to him. His lips crashed into hers, making her eyes widen.

She pulled away abruptly, staring at him in disbelief. He leaned in again, but this time, she saw it coming. The woman squirmed against his strong grasp. He simply pushed her against the car and pinned her there with his heavy body.

"James," She pushed her hands against his chest, but he had a tight grip on her biceps. "Stop."

His lips were against her neck, sucking at the skin hungrily as she tried to shrink away from him.

"STOP IT!" Her voice and the searing slap that followed echoed through the night. She gasped, staring down at her throbbing hand before putting it over her mouth. Hot tears sprung to her eyes as she straightened out her coat. She had never struck anyone before in her life and it made her feel sick.

“Shit Avery, I’m sorry. I don’t know what I was thinking.” He reached over to touch her shoulder, but she shrugged away from him.

“Do not touch me,” She demanded slowly through gritted teeth. “Ever again.”

“Avery, I-”

“No, James. I don’t want to hear it. I’m not the same stupid girl that you used to push around. I’m done.”

“What about Lili? Can I-”

“No. I don’t think so. If anything, I will drop her off with Cruz and I will pick her up from Cruz, not you. I don’t want to see you, I don’t want to hear from you,” She opened up her car door and sat down in the driver’s seat. “Ever. You understand?”

She didn’t wait for a response before she started the car and peeled out of the driveway. The tears that welled up in her eyes clouded her vision until she blinked them away, sending them down her cheeks. She gripped the wheel as she drove, trying to pull herself together before she got home. Jeff and Aaron were playing Xbox when she had left them to pick up Lili and Avery didn’t want to alarm them. She knew she needed to tell Jeff what happened, but she wanted to be composed when it she did it. Being hysterical would only rile Jeff up.

She managed to stop crying by the time she got home and she brought a sleeping Lili into the house.

“You’re just in time, Av. I’m just about the destroy Jeff.” They were playing NHL 12 on the console and Aaron was beaming with victory. Avery simply nodded and headed upstairs with her sleeping daughter.

“Your brother is ruthless,” Jeff said from the doorway of Lili’s room. “He’s got one hell of a slap shot.”

Avery smiled meekly at him, tucking some hair behind her ear. She tried to slide by him, but he gently held the corner of her arm.

“You OK?” He asked, concern in his gaze. “Your eyes are all red like you’ve been crying.”

“No,” Her lower lip trembled. “James had been drinking and he kissed me.”

Jeff stare immediately iced over as surprise crossed his face.

“What?”

“He grabbed me,” The tears returned and blurred her vision. “He pinned me against my car. I didn’t want him to.”

Jeff’s large hands cupped her face, making her look at him. “He fucking grabbed you? Avery, he pinned you against the car?”

“It’s over, Jeff. It’s done.” He pulled her into his broad chest for a tight hug and the floor gates opened. Her body shook as she sobbed into his t-shirt.

“You’re damn right it is,” His hand stroked her dark hair as she cried. “I don’t want Lili or you anywhere near this guy.”

She nodded, feeling the exact same way.

******************************************************************************

Avery hummed to herself as she cleaned up after her last class of the day. It was Friday and Aaron offered to watch Lili while Jeff took her to dinner, so to say she was in a good mood would have been an understatement. Even the several texts she received from James couldn’t bring her down.

She sat down at her desk and peered at the most recent message.

Please call me.

It had been a few weeks since she last saw him and she was in no hurry to meet up with him any time soon. She needed time to sort through her feelings toward him and what he had done. Eventually, she wanted to work things out with him because he was Lili’s father and he could be a good man, but she needed a break from the situation.

“Hello, Avery.” She looked up and frowned as Carly strutted into the room.

“What’s up, Carly?” She asked, attempting to hide the distain in her voice.

“One of my kids took a paint brush.” The blonde dropped it on Avery’s desk in front of her.

“Thanks for returning it.”

Carly shrugged. “No problem,” She sighed and pushed some blonde hair off of her shoulder. “So how have you been since the whole Jeff debacle?”

Avery narrowed her eyes at the woman, shocked she would even bring it up. Even more surprising, Carly didn’t know Jeff and Avery got back together.

“Why do you ask?” Avery’s tone was pleasant, not matching how she really felt toward this woman.

“You looked so pitiable when I showed you that blog.”

Avery thought about telling this idiot to fuck off, but her phone rang and interrupted that thought. A huge smile crossed her face when she saw the name on the caller ID.

“Speak of the devil,” She picked up the phone, keeping her eyes glued to Carly. “Hey Jeff.”

The smirk on Carly’s face dissolved instantly and was replaced with disbelief.

“Hey. You finished work yet?” His deep voice asked.

“Yeah, I’m leaving soon. Are we still on for dinner tonight?” Her words were pointed at Carly, who was seething.

“Of course. I’m just leaving the rink, so I’ll meet you at the house, OK?”

“Great,” Avery beamed as Carly turned on her heels and stalked out of the room. “I’ll see you tonight.”

“Can’t wait.” They hung up and Avery clapped her hands together.

“You were saying, bitch.” Avery whispered to herself as she gathered her things and turned out the light.

Avery picked up Lili from daycare and made it home in record time. She grabbed the mail and headed inside with her daughter chattering about her day. Phin greeted them happily, jumping on Lili and licking her face as Avery leafed through the mail. One envelope in particular jumped out at her. It was from a local law office.

“I got some good timing.” Jeff announced as he entered the house. He immediately greeted by a hug from Lili and yelping from Phin.

A sinking feeling came over Avery as her eyes scanned the letter. She could feel the blood draining from her face.

“Av, what’s wrong?” Jeff asked, looking over at her as he held Lili.

Her voice cracked when she finally spoke. “James is taking me to court. He wants full custody of Lili.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments?

Do not adjust your screens, this is ANOTHER update. I'm on a serious roll right now. This was kind of a heavy chapter and it's only going to get heavier. As always, feedback is appreciated and it helps the writing process :)