Status: Starting Slow

As Long As You Love Me

10

Nick pulled into the players lot. I felt nerves coming forward. "Nick?" I asked. He parked into a spot and turned off the engine. He looked towards me. "Yeah, what's up?" "I don't think I can do this. Everything is going by real fast. With Linguini being arrested to me meeting the Better Halves." I started hyperventilating. "Sam. Sam. Just breathe." He took some deep breathes. I mimicked him, taking deep breathes as well. He touched my cheek. "Better?" He asked. I smiled and nodded.

A banging noise against the car made us up. "Hey Leds. Get you butt out of the car before your late." We both turned to see Patrick Sharp standing outside with his wife Abby, who was sporting her small baby bump. We got out of the car and walk around to the front of the car. "Hi I'm Abby. You must be Sam." Sharpie's wife said extending her hand. "Yes, I am. It's nice to finally meet you. " Sharpie clapped his hands. "Well, we should get going. Leds and I don't want to be late and you ladies should reconnect with the other Better Halves." We all walked into the UC with their other half. Abby lead us to the conference room we were all meet in. "Well, this is our stop." she said looking at Sharpie who gave her a quick hug and kiss. I looked at Nick. He took hold of my hands. "You'll be fine." Abby put a hand on my shoulder. "He's right. Don't be so nervous." He leaned in to give me a quick kiss on the cheek. "Trust her. She knows what she's doing." He whispered in my ear. I pulled away and sighed. The guys walked away in the other direction.

Abby and I walked into a conference room and I saw a few other Blackhawks Better Halves. Assuming majority of them are. Abby said 'Hi' to them all and I stood next to her awkwardly. All of us sat down around the conference table. Luckily I wasn't the only new person to this Better Halves meeting. We did this little icebreaker by introducing ourselves and who our other half is. Unfortunately I was last.

"Hi, I'm Samantha and I'm dating Nick Leddy."

"Aww, I didn't know Leds was dating someone. How long?" Julia, Bolly's fiancée, ask.
I paused for a moment. "We went to high school together back in Minnesota." I explained. A bunch of 'Awws' surrounded the room. "Yeah. We kinda split up for college since he went U of M and I came to Chicago." Another round of 'Awws' came. I blushed. "That's so sweet." Elina, Hjammer's girlfriend, said.

After my little story time, we regrouped and talked about different events coming up. We started planning the bracelet sales for the Lokomotiv crash. Abby was right. They were all really nice and nothing like what others have said. Abby and I were waiting outside the conference room for Sharpie and Nick.

"See Sam, it wasn't as bad as you thought."

I shrugged. "Yeah, I guess. It was actually fun. I like how we are involved in the franchise as well."

"Well just wait till like Christmas and stuff. We really get involved. It's nice. Especially when we're at games, some fans recognize us as the wives and girlfriends of the players. They even ask for pictures. It's nice." she said.

"Wow. It is." I said back.

"So, since you explained that you and Nick were high school friends. How did you and Nick meet?"

I explained the story of our freshman year and how we ran into each other.

She shrieked. "Oh my gosh, that's so cute!" I blushed.

"What's so cute?" Sharpie said coming around the corner with Nick, placing his arm around Abby.

"She was telling me the story of her and Nick meeting." "Oh geez." Nick said giving me a quick kiss. "Sorry, she asked. Plus we wouldn't be in this position if we didn't meet like that." he wrapped an arm around my waist.

"True. So are you ready to go?" He asked.

"Oooo date night with Leddy." Sharpie teased. I blushed some more. "Hush Patrick, it's cute. Let them be." Abby said standing up for us.

We said our good-byes and parted ways. Nick and I hopped into his car.

"Where are we going?" I asked putting on my seat belt.

"This new restaurant on the beach. I don't know the name. Scott said it was new but never told me the name."

"Right…" I responded.

"Okay, buttercup. You'll just have to wait."

"Whatever Snickers." He hit the break pedal and turned his head towards me. "I can't believe you still remember that?"

"Please, when you gave me buttercup because I likes the Peanut Butter Cups, I opted to call you Snickers, since they are your guilty pleasure and ironically it has Nick in it." I retorted.

"Sometimes I wonder, why I love you so much." He commented.

"Just drive Leddy, I'm hungry."

He raised an eye brow.

I looked away for a second and back to him. "PLEASE??" I said puppy dog pouting. He laughed, driving away.

I turned my head towards the window. "I love downtown."

"Is that why you left me?" he said.

I turned back to face him. "No, I didn't want to leave Eden Prairie in the first place. Well I did until I met you." I smiled in my seat. Nick smirked finding us a parking spot. "You know, I'm actually glad I ran into you that day freshman year." He ran his hand through his hair, "I feel like you've help me find more that hockey." I smiled. "That's what your mom said about me too. She told me that both of your parents are happy that you found time to not focus on hockey all the time." He was taken back. "Really? She said that?" I nodded. "Well, she's right. Your probably one of the best things that's ever happened to me." I started to blush. "Okay cheesy. Let's go." I said opening the car door.

Nick and I walked into the restaurant. Once we were seated we ordered our food. We started talking about some memories back in Eden Prairie. We also talked about how funny it was that we lived across from each other. We weren't technically neighbors but friends from across the block.

So the first day of school wasn't as bad as I thought. I meet some new friends and they were all nice. Carli and I just instantly clicked. Note to self: Thank Nick for introducing us. School was over and Carli and I were waiting for Nick and Brian.

"So what'd you think?" Asked Carli.

"Not as bad as I thought. It's like what you see in movies."

She laughed, "We have that effect." We both continued to laugh.

Nick walked out with Brian. "What's so funny?" he asked.

"Oh nothing."

"Keeping secrets new girl." Brian said nudging me.

I shook my head. "Really it's nothing."

"Change of subject. Sam, where you live?"

"I live on uh Maple and Greason."

"No way, I live around there too." Nick said.

"Cool, maybe I could come over and help you with French."

He draped an arm around me. "Sam, English will be my only language. I had no intent to learn French in the first place."

I laughed removing his arm. "Right."

"Well, just put it this way Sam. If you need a ride. Don't ask me for another 5 months."

"Oh the torture." I said leaning on his shoulder. "Hey watch it Anderson."

My dad pulled up and honked. "Sure Leddy. Do you need a ride today?"

Carli and Brian snickered. Nick looked at me in defeat. "If it's okay with him, my parents would probably be grateful." "Come on then." I said grabbing his hand and pulling him towards my dad's car. I leaned in the window which my dad rolled down. "Hey dad, can we drop off my friend over here. He lives on our street." My dad stared at Nick. I looked back at Nick who was looking at the ground. "Sure sweetie. Hop in." I opened Nick's door as a nice hostess. He slid in and I close the door. "Uh thank you Mr. Anderson for the ride." I heard Nick tell my dad as I slid into the passenger seat. "Not a problem son." I turned towards the both of them. "Dad, this is Nick. Nick this is my dad." I said introducing the two. "Samantha Nicholle Anderson, what did I explain to you this morning." "Dad, not now. Nick was elected my tour guide day. Plus he has all of my classes." I looked back at Nick who looked a little bit uncomfortable. "Is that right Nick?" my dad asked. "Uh yes sir." "Sir. Not bad son. Sam I like him already." I turned back around and slid down my chair in embarrassment. My dad took off. "Nick I'm so sorry." I said still slouched in my chair. "Samantha Nicholle, sit up." I sat back up in my chair. I leaned my head back against the head rest. "I'm still so sorry." I said without making any eye contact. He chuckled in the back seat. "It's fine Sam." Throughout the ride, Nick and my dad started up a conversation. Nick was really calm about everything.

When we got to our street, I walked Nick out to his place. "Nick, I'm so sorry for that. My dad's a little paranoid about guys since the school I went to before I transferred was an all girls school. It was like only for a month too." I looked down. He brought his hand up and placed it under my chin moving my head to face his. "Hey, it's fine. Why don't I give you my number? Just in case you want to work together on homework and such." He took the pen from my hair and started writing his number down on my hand. He handed me back my pen.

"Thanks." I smiled.


After Nick and I were done eating, we thanked the owner and walked out the door. Nick held the door like a gentleman as I ran to the nearest bench to take off my shoes. Nick slowly walked towards me. "What are you doing butter cup?" "Come on." I said walking down the dock towards the beach. I turned back around with my shoes in my hand looking at Nick who was taking off his shoes as well. I turned back around walking towards the lake. "Sam," I turn back around to see Nick walking towards me with his shoes in hand. "What do you suggest we do?" he asked. "I don't know about you but, there is no way your chasing me. Not in this skirt anyways." He dropped his shoes in the sand. I did as well taking a few steps back. "Nick. No. Don't." I turned around and ran the opposite direction Nick was facing. I heard Nick running towards me. He grabbed me around my waist and picked me up. "Nicholas Leddy put me down!" He carried me over his shoulder. "Nicholas! PUT! ME! DOWN!" He continued to walk towards the lake and threw me in the water. When I was able to stand up I wiped my face from the water. "I can't believe your just did that." "Well, I just did." he said with a smug look on his face. I rolled my eyes and splashed some water in his face. "Really? Is this how it's going down?" I nodded. We ended up splashing water in each others faces and Nick picking me up and "throwing" me down in the water, just like in the movies. About 45 minutes later, we walked out of the lake soaking wet. "Thanks Nick, this was a favorite skirt." He ran his hand through his wet hair. "I know, I gave it to you for your birthday." I laughed. "I remember, you were like, 'Here, my mom got this for you.'" I said impersonating Nick. "First of all, I don't sound like that. Second, I got you something else along with the skirt, that I actually paid for myself." "Yes, because I have the best boyfriend ever." I said shivering a little. "You cold?" I shivered again. "Eh, just a little bit. Nothing major." He took a hold of my hand, "Come on, I have a sweater in my car." We picked up our shoes from the sand and walked to his car.

Nick opened his condo door and we both walked in still wet from our water fight an hour earlier. "Nick, I think that was the most uncomfortable car ride ever." he set his keys down and chucked. "Do you just want to stay over?" he asked. "Sure, but I have nothing to wear."
"Don't worry, I'll grab stuff for you to wear." He took a hold of my hand and dragged me to his room. I sat on his bed, watching him take a Hockey Fights Cancer shirt, a pair of his plaid pajamas and a pair of his boxers. He handed them too me. "Here, you can take a shower if you want too." I got up from the bed and kissed his cheek. "Thank you snickers."
15 ish minutes later, I walked out the shower in Nick's clothes carrying my still damp clothes. I walked into the living room spotting Nick on the couch watching Sports Center. He turned around and smirked. "Hey sexy." I laughed as he walked up towards me. "Hello." I said as he took my wet clothes and tossed them in the washing machine. "I'm gonna take a shower. Make yourself at home." He said kissing my forehead. I watched him walk away to his bedroom. I waited till he was out of view that I started snooping around the living room. He had pictures from his childhood that I adored when his mom showed back in Minnesota, some with his parents from various hockey games throughout his childhood, and a few pictures of me and Nick. There was a square of a photo booth picture, that was blown up, we took on our official first date of us making funny faces. Another was a candid picture of the both of us at Carli's 16th birthday party. We were at the park and I was sitting on the swings while Nick was standing up trying to sneak a kiss. Next to that one was one of the both of us at EPHS Senior Night after the Eagles won a big game against their rivals. Then there were two of Nick and I on his draft day before he was drafted and after he was drafted. His mom insisted that we'd take a picture together since it was a very big day. Lastly there was one of us on my last day at Eden Prairie before shipping out to Chicago. It was a candid picture of me resting my head in the crook of Nick's neck and Nick wrapping me in a hug. I was so upset of not wanting to leave that I didn't want any pictures. "I like that picture." Nick said making me slightly jump a little. I turned around to face him drying off his hair.
"I didn't know you had that picture." I said walking towards him. He wrapped his arms around me as I did. "Well Carli was randomly snapping pictures all over the place and when she developed them, she gave me this one. It was the last picture we've had together after you left." He said leaning his forehead against mine. We leaned in to kiss. My phone blasted Chelsea Dagger. I laughed to myself. "Sorry it's Taylor." He chuckled and let go. "It's fine." I walked over to my phone and answered it.

Sam! Sam! Where are you? I came home and you weren't there. I started panicking.

Taylor she's probably at Nick's condo. I heard Jon in the background.

Jon shhhhh!!!!

I laughed. "Tay. I'm fine. I'm staying over at Nicks for the night. Plus it's really late. "

Oh okay. Phew. I thought someone rapped you or something on your way home.

"No. Nick was with me every step of the way. Don't worry."

Okay. Bye!

"Oh and Tay?"

Yeah?

"Tell Jon I said hi."

Pssh. I have no idea what your talking about. Gotta go bye!

She hung up. I laughed.

"What's up?" Nick asked staring.

"Taylor's a dork." He raised an eyebrow. "She was panicking, wondering where I was."

"Oh did you tell her your with me?"

"Yeah. Then I heard Jon talking in the background."

"Tazer?"

"Yeah. I know right."

"She's your best friend. She's just looking out after you."

"I bet she's not just looking out for me. If you know what I mean."

Nick laughed. "Yeah. I think I what your trying to say."
♠ ♠ ♠
Sleepover At Nick's

Check out the Jonathan and Taylor Spin-off. Shape of My Heart

Don't Be A Silent Reader!!!

-Sam