Floating in the Ether

I Am What I Am

Ron and I slapped at each other’s hands, faces, and hair before Hermione sighed loudly and shouted, “Ronald! What’s wrong with you?”

Ron turned from me and looked at her, “He’s talking about my sister!”

“And my girlfriend!” Dean piped up while stuffing his face with mashed potatoes.

“And she’s my—!” Harry shrunk up a bit and continued patting the blood off of his upper lip, then squeaked, “My friend.”

I rolled my eyes and focused on my food again. If they wanted to be wankers, fine, but not while I’m trying to eat. I stared off into empty space while slowly eating the rest of my plate of food. Dean, Neville, Harry and Ron talked amongst themselves while finishing their dinner, but I couldn’t focus much on their topics for conversation. What do I care if Ron wants to be on the Quidditch team this year? Harry, who is not only the Gryffindor Captain, but Ron’s best friend, will probably help Ron as much as possible.

Unless McLaggen gets the position; I hear he’s pretty good. He’s been eying Hermione for a while now, too. Would it be wrong to laugh at Ron if McLaggen gets his desired Quidditch position and the girl he’s obviously in love with? No, because he’s a git. If Hermione were into me, I’d definitely go for her. Not in a sleazy, sex way, but in the OHMYGODIFEELTHATTOO, LETSFEELITTOGETHER sort of way. Honestly, what’s going to happen if he asks her out? Ruin the friendship of the trio? MEMORY CHARMS, BRO.

Whatever. If Ron wants to be git, then fine. No business of mine, I say. But time is a’tickin’ away. It’s our Sixth Year. He skipped out on the Yule Ball, so Krum took her instead. And good for her. Why not Krum? He was a bit odd while here, but at least he had the courage to go after a brainy beauty. I should turn and slap Ron right now. How can he be such a fun bloke to chat with, but then lack the nerve to pluck up Hermione and practice for the position he wants? Is it really that difficult to get involved with a girl who already loves you, or get involved with Quidditch when your best mate is the captain,

Oh whatever.

The others started to stand up, so I stood up, too, stretched, yawned quickly, and headed off to the Tower with the blokes behind me. Hermione and Ginny stayed behind to Katie about their excitement and hope for this new year. I suppose they can be excited, though. When has a year here failed to provide a life-or-death adventure? Perhaps not so much for Ginny, but Hermione has been sucked into something every year.

Dean suggested that we relaxed in the Common Room for a bit, but Harry announced the degree of his exhaustion, so we headed up to our dorm. We’re all quite tired, really. It’s a long train ride, and the turkey has made me sleepy. I took my time during my shower, and I pulled out tomorrow’s uniform so that I may sleep in as much as possible. I tossed myself onto my bed, situated myself a bit, and then started listening to their conversation.

“Dean, all I’m saying is that she’s my sister.”

Dean nodded impatiently at Ron.

Ron leaned forward a bit. “My sister. Not just my little sister, but also my only sister. I’m going to be protective.”

I grinned, “Especially with a dog like Dean.”

They ignored me, except for Harry, who nodded and added, “Dean, you tricky, tricky bloke.”

We all laughed a bit. Once we quieted down, Neville said, “Ginny is a smart girl. I’m sure it’s going to take a lot of effort and a long time to pass before Dean and swoon her into anything.”

Ron dry heaved.

Dean sighed.

Harry smiled, “Yeah, she’s a smart girl. You don’t have to worry about her, Ron.”

“I don’t worry about her,” Ron snapped, “I worry about Dean!”

Dean suddenly shouted, “What are you talking about? When have I ever been a creep?”

Ron snapped at him instead of Harry, “You’re not a creep, I just know what I want to do to some Fifth Year girls is all.”

I butted in, “Have you seen that Hufflepuff girl?”

They rolled their eyes while Dean asked, “Which one?”

I sighed, “You know, that one with the curly yellow hair. Not blonde, yellow. Hair curlier than a pig’s tail. Green eyes. Suddenly blossomed over summer—”

Ron cut me off, “Oh yeah, she walked passed our compartment on the train.”

I laughed, “I need to find out her name before any of you lot do.”

We all laughed, but then Ron suddenly went back to the original subject, “I’m just worried about you—”

“Why?” I cut Ron off, “Neville was the one who had her out all night befor—”

“What?” Ron shouted, completely outraged. He glared at Neville and shouted, “When was this?”

Neville shrugged, half out of confusion, half out of shock. “What are you talking about?”

I nodded, “You don’t remember the Yule Ball?”

We all cracked up, except for Neville and Ron. Ron sighed, “She’s my sister, not a joke.”

I sighed.

Neville suddenly became bitter and shouted, “You blokes are just jealous!” He pointed at me, “You took Lavender to the Ball, but ended up dancing with Dean half the time!”

Harry and Ron laughed, but then Neville pointed at them.

“And you two couldn’t dance worth a damn thing! You bored your dates to death!”

Their mouths fell open, unable to come up with anything witty to say to Neville.

Neville then pointed to himself, “I respected Ginny! I still do! She was a wonderful dance partner, and quite the pleasant date! I had a great time! And she did too! So sorry if you losers are incapable of dancing or attracting fun, smart girls, but I can! Don’t put me as the butt of your Ginny jokes!”

“Ginny’s butt has nothing to do with this—”

“SHUT UP, SEAMUS!” Neville shouted then quickly and angrily gathered up the curtains around his four-poster. Harry quietly lay down and awkwardly laid on his right side as to not be a part of this mess. Ron glared at me and added to Neville’s rant, “Don’t objectify my sister!” before slamming down onto his back and magically closing his curtains, too.

Dean sighed and then glared at me before flopping down onto his left side and pretending to have fallen asleep as to let the conversation die. The anger of these blokes didn’t disturb me much. If anything, the dread about the first day of school that blossomed in my chest affected me more, but then I realized that the first class is just Charms; the worry quickly changed into drowsiness. I fell asleep soon after.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments? Subscriptions? :D