Status: Completed!

The Real Story of Heaven and Hell

Running For Your Life is Good Exercise

We ran. Ran until my legs felt like rubber and my lungs burned.
“Sera…SERA. STOP.” Lil yelled. Well she did her best to yell, we were both panting like freaking dogs. When I turned around I saw she had collapsed on the ground. “We need to stop.”
I ran back to her, fear keeping my senses alert for…whatever the hell those things were. “We have to keep going.”
She moved the arm that had been covering her face. “Where Sera? Where are we going?”
“I…I don’t know.” I said looking around frantically. We needed somewhere to hide, like now.
Lil pushed herself up off the ground. “Exactly.” She always was the more logical of us. I had the tendency to let my emotions rule me and my decisions.
“What the hell is going on?” I asked my fraternal twin. I was scared and I sounded like it.
“I have no fucking idea.” She said looking back towards the direction we had run from. I don’t know how long we had run but it seemed we had lost whatever had been chasing us. “But we need to get out of the open and the rain.”
I nodded and let Lil grab my hand. I didn’t know where we were going but Lil had a plan, Lil always had a plan. We broke through a group of trees and all I could see were grave stones…great.
Lil tugged on my hand but I dug in my feet. I didn’t like cemeteries, I never had. I don’t know how to explain it other than it hurt, like I could feel the sadness left behind from those who passed.
Lil looked back at me when I refused to budge. Letting go of my hand she wrapped her arm around my shoulders and squeezed. “Come on Sera, we’ll be safe in here, promise.”
“How do you know?” I asked even as I followed her into the spooky long forgotten place. Everything was over grown and falling apart. In the middle of cemetery was a creepy old mausoleum. I shuddered as I realized that was where we were heading.
“I’m psycho remember?” The large metal door groaned as Lil pushed it open. I was amazed she could get it open, it looked freakin heavy.
A small laugh escaped my lips despite our current problems and surroundings. “Don’t you mean psychic?”
“Yeah sure.” She replied as she pushed the door shut. Pitch blackness swallowed us and I fought a panic attack. Lil on the other hand wasn’t bothered by it at all, she actually preferred the darkness.
“Lil?” I drug her name out as I held on to her tighter.
“It’s okay Sera, here.” I heard the sound of her lighter before I saw the light of it.
I have the world’s best sister ever! “Thanks.” I gratefully took her lighter thanking God for whoever invented the Zippo. After a few minutes I could actually breathe normally again. “Please tell me you slipped acid into my juice and this is one huge hallucination.”
She snorted. “I wish. I’d prefer that to demons.”
I looked at her but I couldn’t see her face, the light from her lighter wasn’t strong enough to reach her. “Demons?” Yet the moment I asked I knew somehow she was right. “This is fucked up shit.” I mumbled.
Lil laughed out loud. I swore so infrequently she always found the times I did amusing. I guess I did sound kind of funny. “Thanks Sera, I needed that.”
I smiled my acknowledgement forgetting she couldn’t see my face either. “How long are we staying in here?”
“Just a little while longer. We need to see if Gramps is okay.”
My heart fell. Oh God Gramps! What if he had come home?! What if he was hurt?! We had to get home now! I jumped up heading towards the door.
Lil tried to grab a hold of arm but missed. “NO! WAIT! DON’T!”
It was too late. I flung the door open and froze. Three tattooed men were inside the cemetery, two were standing by the gates. I guess they were cutting off our escape route. All of them had heard the door open; it would be kind of hard to miss the loud sound in the suddenly quiet cemetery.
Lil slammed the door shut as I just stood there. “Oh crap..I’m so sorry..I…I didn’t know.”
“It’s okay Sera, we’ll be okay.” She wasn’t looking at me when she spoke. She was looking into the darkness trying to find a way out.
“Fuck.” She hissed from somewhere close to the back. “Sera come here.”
I fumbled my way over to her blindly. A sliver of moonlight came through an old film covered window. I could barely make out her trademark grin. There was a small ledge under the window. If we could just get up there we could get out the window. “Lift?”
I nodded and she put her hands down so I could step on them and push up off her hands. It wasn’t easy but I got on the ledge. There was just enough room for me to lie down so I could reach her. Thank God I was on the small side. I bit my lip to keep from grunting as I pulled her up with me. True to her nature she still had a death grip on the gun.
When Lil spoke it was so soft I could barely hear her. “I’m going to drop down first and then I want you to follow me okay?”
I nodded fearful that for the second time today we wouldn’t make it through the night. “I love you Lil.”
She hugged me tight. “Then you can make me breakfast tomorrow, k?”
I nodded and let go. I didn’t dare breathe as she dropped out of the window. “Hurry!” Was the whispered plea that met my ears from outside. With a quick prayer to God I crawled over to the window and dropped down feet first.
My feet never hit the ground. I landed instead into the arms of one of the tattooed guys. Pale green eyes bored into mine from behind black bangs. He clamped a hand over my mouth when I screamed, wrapped his arms tight around me when I struggled. “Shhh…I’m not going to hurt you Seraphina.”
My blood ran cold, he knew who I was. I looked around frantically for Lil. I found her lying slumped on the ground by the feet of the two other tattooed men. LIL! I screamed in my head. She looked…looked…dead. NO! I struck lightening quick biting my captor’s neck hard enough that he dropped me.
I didn’t try to get away. Instead I crawled over to my sister. I checked her neck for a pulse and almost cried when I felt it. It was slow, but it was strong. I gathered her into my arms as I glared at the three men that now stood looking down at me. “What did you do to her?” I asked my voice dripping with the venom I was feeling on the inside.
The shortest of the three men stepped forward. He was covered in tattoos as well, had a brown Mohawk and brown eyes. “This.” No sooner had he spoken then suddenly the tallest of them was behind me, his arms a vice keeping me still.
The one with green eyes squatted down beside me, forcibly turning my head so I would look at him. “I’m sorry.” He mumbled as he raised a white cloth to my face. I struggled in the tall man’s arms until suddenly everything went black.