Status: Active

I'll Be Waiting up Counting the Stars

We Are Family

"Mama, why do I have to get dressed up nice?" My baby whined as I tied his little tie. 

"Because today is a very special day, sweetheart and I want you to look nice." I explained to him.

"Okay." He sighed.

I smiled at how adorable he looked in his little button up and suspenders. It almost hurt to think that now I'd have to share my baby.

I took his hand and led him out to the car before buckling him in securely. I was trembling with nerves but I knew everything was going to be okay. In fact, it was going to be more than okay. From here on out, things were going to be downright perfect. For all of us. 

Jack sat quietly in the back bobbing his head along to the song on the radio. I smiled at how happy he was. I can't believe I didn't think Austin could do it. He proved me completely wrong. He was the greatest father I could ask for for Jack. 

We pulled up to the courthouse and I unbuckled Jack and took his hand as we walked inside together. I gave the security guard my purse and we walked through the metal detectors. Once my bag was returned we walked down the hall. 

"Daddy!" Jack exclaimed before running full speed into Austin's arms. 

"Hey kiddo!" Austin grinned before picking him up and giving him a kiss on the cheek. 

"Mama says that if I'm good then I can have as much ice cream as I want at the party." Jack bragged. 

"She's right little buddy." he laughed before leaning over and giving me a quick kiss. "Hey babe." 

"Hi daddy." I smiled. "Are you ready?" 

"I was born ready." He smirked as he carried Jack into the office. 

A few questions and signatures later it was official. Jack had two real, loving parents. 

"So we'll meet you there, then?" I asked as we walked outside, each of us holding one of Jack's hands.

"Mama, can I go with daddy instead?" He asked. 

I was disappointed but kind of happy at the same time. Although, I couldn't help but feel like I was losing my baby. 

"Sure honey." I nodded, trying not to seem upset. 

"Jack, why don't you go with mama-" Austin started, sensing that I was disappointed. 

"No, sweetie ride with daddy. I'll meet you there." I smiled as I leaned down and gave him a kiss on the forehead. "I'll see you there. Be safe." I said to Austin before giving him a soft kiss.

"I will. Love you baby." He said, giving me that sensitive look that made my heart melt. 

"Love you too." I smiled, waving goodbye. 

I got into my car alone and felt tears pricking at my eyes.

"Oh shit." I sighed as I turned the key in the ignition and wiped at my eyes. 

The drive to Austin's parents house felt so long and lonely. I had to keep reminding myself that Jack needed a dad and he was eventually going to outgrow being my baby. I just didn't think that time would come so soon. It was like an instant switch from being a mama's boy to a daddy's boy. 

I pulled into the crowded driveway and parked my car. I looked in my rearview mirror and saw Austin and Jack pull in. I wiped at my eyes one last time and got out of the car to greet my boys. 

"Mama!" Jack cheered as he came running at me full speed. 

"Hi sweetheart. How was the car ride?" I asked. 

"It was so much fun! We went fast!" He giggled. 

"Oh you did?" I asked suspiciously eyeing Austin as he grinned sheepishly. 

"Well we should get inside." He said before walking up the driveway and inside. 

"Grandma! Uncle Charlie!" Jack cried as he went running into the big house. 

I smiled and walked in behind them. 

"Janie! How are you, babe?" Cindy, Austin's mom, asked.

"I'm great, how are you?" I asked, giving her a hug. 

"I just got my first grandchild! I'm feeling a little old but I couldn't be happier." She said.

"Thanks so much. And thank you for the party, everything looks great." 

"Think of it as a belated baby shower." She laughed. 

I smiled and grabbed a glass of champagne before walking over to Alex. 

"Congrats, Janie. I'm proud of you for making a man out of my brother." She smiled, giving me a hug. 

"I'm really happy, it's just hard letting go of my baby." I sighed.

"It'll be okay. You'll probably have another one in no time." She joked.

I rolled my eyes and took a sip of my drink. "Very funny."

She laughed and walked over to one of Austin's friends. 

I heard a squeal and looked over to see Jack on top of his uncle Charlie's shoulders. I smiled at how happy he looked. He had a real family now. We both did. 

"Hey there darling." I heard from next to me. 

"Hey." I smiled as he wrapped an arm around my shoulder. 

"Having fun?" He asked, pressing a kiss to my temple.

"Mhmm." I nodded. 

"Then why are you being so quiet?" He asked. 

"I don't know, I was just thinking about how quickly he's growing up." 

"Yeah, but he's always going to need you. You're his mama." He said. 

"Yeah I guess...hey what do you think about-" 

"Not for awhile, sweetie." He laughed. 

"Fine." I sighed.

"Don't worry, we'll have one soon enough. For now let's just focus on the one we have." He chuckled. 

"Have I ever told you that I love you?" I smiled before giving him a quick kiss. 

"I could hear it again." He grinned. 

I was just about to give him a smart remark when I heard everybody gasp followed by cries.

Austin and I ran toward the noise to find Jack whimpering and holding his arm. 

"Sweetie what happened?" I gasped as I knelt down to him. 

"I fell off uncle Charlie." He sniffled. 

"I heard something snap, Janie." Charlie told me. 

"Oh, you poor baby. Austin we need to get him to the emergency room." I said. 

Austin nodded and picked the little boy up and took him to my car. I told everybody we'd be back as soon as possible and followed them. 

I sat in the back with my baby trying to assess his injury as best I could. I came to the conclusion that something was broken.

We finally got to the ER and Austin parked the car while we went inside. 

"Mama, it hurts." He sniffled. 

"I know, baby. It'll be okay." I said trying to comfort him. 

Austin ran in and met up with us in the waiting room. After almost an hour of waiting we were taken back and Jack was given some xrays. We were waiting for them to come back and Austin was trying to cheer Jack up.

"You know buddy, you're probably going to get an awesome cast. And when you have a cast you get to eat all the Oreos you want." He said. 

I laughed at Jack's reaction. 

"Really? I can?" He asked. 

"Sure you can buddy." He laughed. "And you know what else?" 

"What?" He asked with wide eyes that soon matched mine when I saw what Austin was doing. 

"I was going to do this at the party, but I think now is the right time. Janie, I love you and Jack so much. I need to be with you forever. Both of you. I already made it official with Jack, so what do you say we make it official? Will you marry me?" He asked softly. 

"Yes! Yes! Of course I will marry you! I love you so much!" I grinned, wrapping my arms around his neck and smothering him with kisses. 

After Jack was given a cast and a bag of lollipops from the adoring nurses, we left to go back home as we were exhausted from sitting in the hospital so long. We of course stopped on the way home to eat and to get some Tylenol and Oreos. 

We got home and Jack took a quick nap. It all felt so normal. It felt like we were a real family. And then it hit me that we were a real family. 
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry I havent updated. Shit just kept piling up and I couldn't think of what to write. Thanks so much for commenting and ring awesome! iPhones are so jars to type on. I don't even care that this an is probably ridiculous haha.

Comment and subscribe!! Thanks!!