Status: Active

I'll Be Waiting up Counting the Stars

Absent Mindedly Makin' Me Want You

"Jack, are you ready to go to grandma's? She's going to be here soon." I called from the kitchen.

He was in the living room watching some documentary on Ancient Egyptians while I cleaning up from dinner. I couldn't let my mom see my house dirty or that would be another thing she'd bitch about. Nothing was ever good enough for her.

"Yes." He called back in sing-song voice. I chuckled as I kept scrubbing my oven. I cringed when I saw headlights flash into the driveway.

"She's here." I yelled as I hurried to make everything look decent.

"Okay." He said before walking into the kitchen with his batman backpack.

The front door opened and my stomach dropped as I heard footsteps come into the room.

"Hi Jackie. Ready to go?" She asked with a smile.

"Mhmm!" He nodded excitedly.

"Hi Janie, how are you?" She asked sweetly. I'm sorry, fakely.

"Fine, mom. How are you?" I asked.

"I'm good. Where's that car I helped pay for?" She asked.

Here we fucking go.

"It was recalled. It won't cost anything to fix." I answered in a monotone.

"Well that's good, then. I just payed two hundred dollars for new tires on it not that long ago." She quipped.

"That was my birthday present." I replied.

"I know. I'm just saying." She shrugged.

"Jack, why don't you go wait out in the car." I suggested before giving him a hug and a kiss.

"Bye mama. I love you." He told me.

"I love you too, sweetie." I called as he walked outside.

"Mom, you cannot keep undermining me in front of him." I told her.

"I wasn't undermining you, I was-"

"Please don't. I get it that you're my mom and you can talk to me that way, but please not in front of Jack. I don't want him to grow up with no respect for me." I cried, throwing my hands up in the air.

"Oh, Janie quit being so dramatic." She said as she rolled her eyes.

"I'm not being dramatic. You did the exact same thing with dad when we were kids and that's why none of the boys respect him. I'm being serious, mom. There's no need to bring up money in front of him, ever." I told her with my arms crossed in front of my chest.

"If you hadn't gotten pregnant and finished school then you wouldn't have to worry about money." She argued.

"Mom! Enough! Guess what? I had a baby. And if I had stayed in school and gotten a degree, I'd be at a starting salary right now making way less than I do. Can't you just be happy that I'm supporting my son? He's got food and toys and he's happy. Isn't that enough?" I exclaimed.

"I never said I was happy, I'd just be happier if you had a degree to show for my money. And if you ask me, Jack doesn't need anymore toys. I threw away that hat he left at my house." She said carelessly.

"You didn't." I gasped.

"It was just a hat." She replied.

"Mom, he loved that thing! That's the only reason he wanted to go over tonight." I cried, knowing how upset he would be when he found out.

"He'll be fine. If that's the only reason then I guess I won't spend time with him tonight."

"I've already got plans." I told her.

"Oh? With who?" She asked.

"With a guy I met. I'm going on a date." I told her.

"Do you really think that's a good idea? You have a son, Janie." She spat.

"I know, and you know what mom? He wants a guy in his life. He's a little boy and he needs a guy to hang out with and teach him boy stuff other than his uncles who are always too busy for him and I need somebody to lean on too." I ranted.

"Do what you want." She shrugged. "It's your life."

"Thanks." I said, rolling my eyes.

"I see you already ate dinner. You could have saved some for me."

"Do you want some?" I asked.

"No. It's just the thought that counts." She told me.

"Jesus Christ. Goodbye!" I squeaked before brushing past her and stomping up the stairs to get ready.

"Crazy fucking bitch." I muttered as I heard the front door close.

She may be my mom, but I certainly don't like her. She never loved me the way a mother should love her daughter. I was unplanned and I was a girl. She never wanted a daughter, especially not after three sons. She was livid when I told her I was pregnant, but she never talked to me about birth control or offered to get me any. She chose things to lord over me just because she could and it worked. It bugged the hell out of me, but it'll never change.

After I calmed down a bit, I redid my makeup and picked out what I was going to wear. I'd put on a lacey bra and some hot pink underwear, but I couldn't choose an outfit. I finally went with a lace dress and some leather flats.

I was brushing my teeth when I heard the doorbell ring. I quickly spit out the toothpaste and wiped my mouth before running to get the door.

"Hey! I'm freezing my balls off out here." He laughed nervously as he put out his cigarette.

"Sorry, I was brushing my teeth. I'm ready." I smiled as I walked through the door.

"Wow." He gaped. "You look amazing."

"Thanks." I blushed as I played with a strand of hair. "You look nice too in your denim on denim." I joked.

"Hey! I happen to like the nineties. Sue me." He defended.

"It's alright. You look very handsome." I told him sincerely as I placed a hand on his arm.

"Thanks." He chuckled as he opened his car door for me.

I slid in and pulled my seatbelt on waiting for him to do the same. He got in, but didn't do the seatbelt part.

"So, where are we going?" I asked once he started driving.

"You'll see." He smiled mischievously.

"I have a feeling I'm going to like this." I thought aloud.

"You definitely will, darlin'." He nodded as he ran a hand through his soft brown hair.

I wanted so much just to lean over and make out with him, but I restrained myself. I decided to look through his cd's for some music. I saw some Tom Petty, Ryan Adams, but I stopped and pulled out the Wilco album and put it in the cd player.

"You like Wilco?" He asked.

"I'm not a huge fan, but what I've heard I like." I answered honestly.

"What's your favorite?" He asked.

"That's What You Said." I replied.

"Nice, nice." He smiled.

"Thanks."

Austin

I parked the car near the spot and got my cooler out of the trunk.

"Follow me." I instructed.

"Okay." She smiled. She surprised me by holding out her hand for me to take, which I did as I led her through the forest.

"Alex said you liked nature so I thought this would be cool." I spoke up as we walked through the woods together.

"Yeah! I love hiking and camping. I used to do it all the time when I was younger." She said.

"Why not now?" I asked, looking back at her. She looked down and answered,

"I don't have time."

"I'm glad you have time for me." I said.

God, that sounded so fucking gay.

"Me too." She giggled.

When we finally got to a nice spot I set down the thick blanket and the cooler, motioning for her to sit down, which she did.

"This is really sweet, Austin." She smiled as I sat across from her.

"I wanted to do something special for you because you're a special girl." I told her.

"Thanks. You know, at first I thought you were just some guy who wanted to get in my pants, but you seem like a really great guy. Alex doesn't give you enough credit."

"I'm not gonna lie to you," I sighed, "I'm not a good guy, but I'm working on it for you. I don't know what it is about you, but I feel like I need you or something. Not in a creepy way, I just feel like we were kind of meant to be, you know?"

"Yeah." She nodded. "I have a really good feeling about this."
"Me too, darlin'." I smiled.

We sat on a blanket and ate fudge pops and looked up at the stars, all the while just talking about everything and anything. I learned she had three older brothers, one who was a personal trainer, one who was an Iowa state trooper, and one that was in prison for transporting drugs. I was kind of scared of all three, but she insisted they could care less about her life. She also didn't have a very good relationship with her mom, which I felt bad about. I tell my mom everything. She was really close to her dad though. She likes horseback riding, she tried to go to church every Sunday but she usually fails and sleeps in instead, she hasn't dated anyone in almost four years, and she never finished college.

She was funny, too. Fuck, was she funny. She had the best timing and sarcasm. I don't think a girl has ever made me laugh so hard in my life.

She was perfect to say the least. There's nothing she could do or say to make me not feel this way about her.

Except, maybe she was too good for me...

She looked at her phone and said she had to be home soon, so we packed up and I drove her home.

I walked her to her doorstep, like a gentleman, and she stopped before she walked inside.

"Tonight was really great. It was the best first date I've ever been on." She told me.

"I can definitely say the same."

"Well, goodnight." She smiled before leaning in. I froze as I felt her lips on mine, but then I realized what was going on so I closed my eyes and placed my hands around her waist. I was surprised when she started to deepen the kiss, but I kept up with her until she pulled away, leaving me out of breath.

She smiled before turning and walking inside, leaving me just standing there.

Damn, she's perfect
♠ ♠ ♠
So, he still hasn't found out. It'll happen when you least expect it, but I still want to hear your predictions!!

Janie- http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=34983609 I couldn't get the url code to work

Please comment and subscribe!