Status: Working on but has a few road blocks that are getting annoying...

Right on Key

Chapter Twenty-One

Violet was sitting on the steps that lead into Central command. She heard someone running her way. The footsteps grew slower as they grew closer.

“Violet.” Ed whispered, standing beside her. She didn’t answer him. She just continued to stare at the steps below.

When Ed earned no response, he sat down beside her.

“Don’t let that jerk Mustang get to you.”

“It’s not that.” Violet spoke. Her voice cracked as she talked. Ed turned his head to see the tears running down Violet’s face.

“Violet.”

“I’m useless.” she said through the tears. “I couldn’t do anything. You could have been hurt or killed and it would have been all my fault!” The tears began to fall harder.
Ed slid down a few steps and turned to look up into Violet’s face.

“Violet, look at me.” He whispered. She shook her head. Ed reached over and took her hand that was lying in her lap.

“Look at me.” He said it even softer this time. Violet slowly opened her eyes and looked up at Ed.

“That was not your fault. If anything, I shouldn’t have yelled at you the way I did.” Ed gave her hand a little squeeze. “I’m sorry, Violet.”

Violet stared at him for a moment

“It’s okay, Ed.” she said, her voice cracking again. “I’m still no good in a fight.”

“We can fix that.” Ed smiled, squeezing her hand again. “Al and I are going to get you ready for that exam, aren’t we?”

Violet wiped a few tears away.

“Thanks, Ed.” she said with a smile.

“Anytime.” He gave her hand one more squeeze before standing to his feet.

“Come on.” Ed spoke, “You’re going to need some sleep if you’re going to be training in the morning.”

Violet looked up into his smiling face and couldn’t help but smile more as Ed pulled her to her feet.

“As long as you don’t lose your cool again.”

“Hey, come on. I just apologized for that.” Ed whined.

“Just kidding.” Violet chuckled as she let go of his hand. She walked down a few steps before turning back around.

“Beat you to the hotel?”

“You’re on.” Ed said as the two darted down the remaining steps.

Violet looked over at Ed, smiling as they raced along.

‘Thank you, Ed. Thank you.’