Status: Completed.

No One Knows You Like I Do

Even Though It Hurts

Madison pulled her key out of her purse and unlocked the apartment door. She walked in quickly with Garrett at her heels. He sat down on the couch and watched Madison pace around the room. He rummaged through his bag for his pajamas and went to the bathroom to change.
When he returned, Madison was sitting at the table with her head in her hands. He walked over and placed a hand on her shoulder.
“Hey, you okay?” He sat down next to her and she looked up slowly.
“What am I supposed to say to him?”
“Just tell him the truth. If he wants to blame it all on you, then he’s a jerk. He’s my friend, but if he can’t accept that you did nothing wrong, he doesn’t deserve you.” Madison’s eyes met with his and she smiled.
“Thanks, Garrett. You’re a…are we…friends?”
“Of course we are!” He grinned.
“Good.” She chuckled. “You’re a good friend. I’ve decided to give you permission to date Mackenzie.”
“Thanks!” He beamed with a laugh. “Knowing her, if you hadn’t, she probably would have stopped giving me the time of day.”
“I don’t doubt you’ll be good to her, but if you hurt her, I hurt you.”
“I-I won’t. I p-promise.” He stuttered, causing Madison to laugh.
“Good. Now, you get some sleep and I’m gonna go talk to Nick.” She stood up, ruffling Garrett’s hair.
“Good luck.” He stood now and made his way over to the couch. “See ya in the morning.”
Madison took a deep breath before making her way down the stairs. The lights were out and Nick was in bed, but by the pattern of his breathing, she knew he wasn’t sleeping yet. Her heartbeat quickened. She slipped off her heels followed by her dress. She went to the drawer and pulled out the first shirt she could and threw it on. She slowly made her way to the bed and sat on the edge. She let out another deep breath and whispered, “Nick.”
“Hmm?” He didn’t even sound like he had been trying to sleep.
“I have to tell you something.” Nick rolled over and sat up. He was facing her now.
“I don’t want to talk about this right now.”
“Wh-what do you mean? Do you even--”
“Know? Of course, I know. I saw it happen, Madison.” He sighed.
“But Nick, you don’t understand.”
“I said I don’t want to talk about it right now.” He lay back down, facing the wall again. “Just go to sleep and we’ll talk in the morning.” Madison lay down and pulled the blanket up under her chin. A few tears sprang to her eyes and she wiped at them quickly. Unfortunately, more came just as fast.

******

Madison woke up and Nick was no longer next to her. How he was able to get out of bed without her waking up was beyond her. She let out a sigh as she sat up. She went over to a drawer and pulled out some cotton shorts. She put them on and slowly made her trek up the stairs. When she opened the door, Garrett was the first person she saw. He was sitting on the couch eating some cereal and watching cartoons. Nick was in the kitchen pouring himself a cup of coffee.
Garrett turned around at the sound of the door and gave Madison a look, as if asking what was going on. She shrugged sadly, as she made her way to the kitchen. She pulled out a mug and walked over to the coffee pot. She poured herself some coffee; Nick watching her every move. She could feel his eyes on her, so she turned around to face him. Their eyes locked, Nick’s eyes filled with just as much sadness as Madison’s. He sipped his coffee and brushed past her. He went to the sliding door to the yard and went outside, closing the door behind him.
“Well, that was awkward.” Garrett said.
“You can say that again.” Madison sighed, picking up her mug and walking over to the couch to join Garrett.
“What happened last night?”
“He said he saw everything.” She sighed again. “But he wouldn’t let me explain it. He said he just wanted to sleep and we’d talk about it this morning.”
“Well, he doesn’t look like he’s trying to talk to you. He’s just moping around. When he first came upstairs, he didn’t say anything. He started making coffee and pacing the kitchen. He told me to help myself to some cereal, then went right back to pacing and he hasn’t said anything since.”
“Oh god. He hates me, I know it.” She set her mug on the table in front of her and covered her face with her hands.
“No, he doesn’t. He was staring at you the moment you walked into the kitchen. He just wants to talk to you, but he’s too much of a baby to speak up on his own.”
“How do you know?”
“We’re guys. We all run the same.” He chuckled. “Wanna hear my idea?”
“Sure.”
“Go outside and talk to him. If you wait for him, you’ll be waiting all day. And if you go to him, he can’t deny the conversation. I’ll be right in here and if he tries coming inside, I’ll stop him and send him right back out.”
“Thanks, Gare.” She chuckled, despite her mood, and pulled him into a hug. She stood up, grabbing her mug, and walked over to the door. “Wish me luck.” She sighed.
“You don’t need it. Everything will be just fine.” She glared at him now. “I mean good luck!” He shot her a goofy smile and a double thumbs up.

Madison sat in the chair next to Nick. He was smoking and staring at a patch of grass.
“Hi.” She spoke quietly.
“Hey.” He replied bitterly as he put out the cigarette with his flip-flop. He picked up his mug and took a long sip before setting it back down.
“Can we talk about it, now?”
“What’s there to say Madison?” He turned to look at her.
“I want you to let me explain.”
“You danced, you wrapped arms around his neck, and you kissed him. End of story.” He crossed his arms over his chest and returned his stare to the patch of grass.
“Nick, I wasn’t the one that kissed him. I’m sorry I let it happen, but I didn’t want to kiss him.”
“How do I even know if that’s the truth, Madison?” He stood up now and was looking right at her.
“Because, Nick, I’ve never given you a reason to not believe me. I love you.”
“I just…I don’t know what to think right now.” He sighed and walked to the door to go inside.
“Nick.” She said with tears in her eyes.
“I just want to be left alone.” He opened the door and stepped inside. Garrett stood from the couch and got to Nick before he could go to his room.
“You need to talk to her.” Garrett held his hands out to Nick’s chest so he couldn’t go anywhere.
“No, I need you to move so I can go to my room.” He pushed Garrett’s hands away.
“You need to hear what she has to say. I was right there, man. I know what happened.”
“Garrett, just get out of my way. I’m done talking about this right now!” He spat and shoved passed Garrett. He opened the door at the top of the stairs and went into his room, slamming the door behind him. Garrett sighed in defeat as he returned to his spot on the couch. Madison entered the apartment with the two mugs from outside. Tears filled her eyes as she walked to the kitchen to put the mugs in the sink. Garrett stood and followed her. Once she placed the mugs on the sink and turned around, Garrett pulled her in for a hug.
“Will you drive me to Mackenzie’s?” She picked up her car keys from the counter. Garrett nodded and she handed over the keys.
♠ ♠ ♠
Still no comments. :/ I mean, I know I don't give y'all that much time, but people are reading, they're just not commenting. Please? Just one comment?

My english class was cancelled today, so that put me in a good mood and my math class is cancelled for thursday so i get to leave earlier for San Juan to see The Summer Set and that's cool, too. But now, I'm not in a good mood cause some shit is going down and I'm really afraid. For now, I'm trying to relax by writing and updating, so please, comment and make me feel better? <3