‹ Prequel: Rookie
Status: in progress

Everyday I Think Of You

Plural Terms

“Sophie! Oh my god, what have I done? Sophie!” I heard Pat’s voice. “She’s pregnant, you have to help her!” and I blacked out again.

When I finally came to again, I was in a white hospital room in a hospital gown. Corey was in the chair next to my bed, like he was that tragic day last summer that I lost the baby. I freaked out when I thought about the last time I was in the hospital and sat up. I immediately regretted it when every fiber of my being started to hurt. I then realized that I was connected to a breathing tube that was down my throat. I then started to hyperventilate, so the nurses and doctors all rushed in. They gave me a relaxant and then Corey decided to wake up. He looked so exhausted. But I was in twilight as they explained that they couldn’t remove the tube until at least tomorrow. I was then left alone with my husband. I motioned for him to give me his phone so I could communicate with him.
I typed out, baby?

“The babies are fine, I promise, Soph,” he squeezed my hand that I just then noticed was bandaged. I looked at the rest of my body and saw that I was mostly covered in gauze. I typed again, babies? And why am I covered in gauze? “We are having twins. Unfortunately, after the car flipped, it started on fire. You were slightly burned, Soph.” Slightly? “Yes, you have first degree burns on most of your body, but, uh, your neck and face have third degree burns.” My eyes looked up at his, they didn’t show disgust or disgrace, and they showed love and passion. I was happy at that moment that I laid there knowing I had burns covering my body and my husband didn’t care. And Patrick? “Pat’s okay too. He made sure you got treated as quickly as possible. He didn’t want anything to happen to the babies and so he waited to let them treat him. He refused treatment until they got you taken care of. You were in a coma for three days, Soph.” Get this tube out of me right now! “I would if I could, baby. I really would.”

“Sophie! Oh thank the heavens,” Abby ran into the room and sat on my bed side. “They couldn’t tell us when you would come to and Corey and I were so worried. Jon and Jackie were too. Can I give you a hug?” I nodded, which hurt a bit, but I didn’t care. I needed to feel someone against me. So Abby leaned in and gave me a gentle hug. I typed on the cell phone. How are you and Patrick? “Oh, Sophie. The accident knocked sense out of Patrick. He decided that if we can’t work it out through counseling, that he’ll leave the family. But you are more important right now. So don’t you worry about Pat and me? I’m going to make sure we make it through this as a family.”

“Mrs. Crawford, your test results came back very good. The doctor told me I can remove your breathing tube. I’m going to give you a light anesthetic that won’t harm your babies and take it out. You won’t feel a thing and you’ll wake back up in a half an hour or so. Alright?” a nurse asked. I just nodded and fell asleep.