‹ Prequel: Rookie
Status: in progress

Everyday I Think Of You

A Heartbreaking Realization

A couple of days later, I was telling Q about the few guys I considered good picks in his office when Corey burst in and said there was an emergency with Abby and we had to leave. I rushed as quickly as a woman who was carrying twins at roughly four and a half month could. We got to the car and saw Patrick already buckled in the back seat, tears rolling down his face. We had Ava with Jackie for the day because Jackie wanted to spend time with her, and so it was the three of us adults.

“What happened?” I asked the two most important men in my life.

“Jackie was meeting up with Abby for lunch with the kids and she found Abby on the floor unconscious while the kids were napping.”

“Oh my god,” I whispered, tears started rolling down my face as Corey headed for the nearest hospital, he must’ve already known that was where she was.

We entered through the emergency room and Patrick asked for his wife’s room and condition. They couldn’t tell him her condition but sent us up to the second floor. Patrick asked for someone who could tell us what was going on and a doctor in a very white coat came over to us.

“Mr. Sharp, your wife overdosed on a prescription drug that was in your name. We had to do an emergency delivery of your child in order to save your wife. Since you weren’t reachable, as were none of your emergency contacts, we did what we had to in order to save your wife. Knowing Abby worked here gave us some insight on what she would’ve wanted and we decided that our choice was the best thing for Abby. Abby is stable and in the recovery room. We delivered your daughter at a weight of four pounds even. It seems she was further along then she thought. Her body even thought that she wasn’t pregnant, not showing any signs of not being pregnant until much later. She seemed to be almost nine months; would you like to meet your daughter, Mr. Sharp?” Patrick nodded, trying to withhold his tears. The doctor took just Patrick towards the NICU and left Corey standing with me in the hospital hall.

“Nine months, Corey. That makes the baby Patrick’s!” I said with joy. I immediately thought that this would be the thing that brought the couple back together as long as Abby was okay and Patrick didn’t try and strangle her for trying to kill herself when she was with the kids.

“As happy as that thought is, I think we should be more worried about how Patrick’s going to react to Abby overdosing.”

“I know, but at least he knows that it’s his child now. He was so heartbroken by the fact that it wasn’t his that I personally don’t think he even cared about her cheating. He may have said that was the reason, but I know Patrick and he was just sorry it wasn’t his. But it is, so maybe it will pull him out of this funk.”

“We can only hope. Why don’t you call Jackie and see how all the kids are?” I nodded and pulled my cell from my pocket. I headed to the cell phone approved area and dialed her cell.

“How is she?” was Jackie’s immediate answer.

“Stable, they delivered the baby and it’s Patrick’s. Her body didn’t pick up on the fact that she was pregnant as quickly as it should have. It’s been known to happen to people after having multiple pregnancies, or that’s what Abby told me a couple of weeks ago when she tried to think and she knew the guy she slept with wore a condom.”

“A boy or girl?” was the next question.

“A little girl, four pounds I think I heard.”

“That’s wonderful. Don’t worry about the kids; Kelly and Jon are both here to help. We have things under control here. You get things under control there and then call and update us, okay?”

“Will do, cuz, tell Ava I love her.”

“Of course, tell the couple congrats,” and Jackie was gone.

I walked back to Corey’s side and sat in the chair there. The hall was a drab paling yellow with the whitest floors I’ve ever seen. We waited there for a good half an hour until Patrick came back to us.

“She’s so little,” he let out breathlessly. He ran a hand through his luscious hair and stared at the two of us. “Does Jackie have the kids?” I nodded and he smiled. “I’m a Dad again, really a Dad.”

“Have they let you in to see Abby yet?”

“No, they were transferring her to her own room before they would let me see her. Apparently she’s awake and she’s been asking for me.”

“Mr. Sharp, your wife is ready to see you,” the same doctor in the stark white coat and red scrubs told Patrick from the nurses’ station. He smiled in our direction and than headed off with the doctor.

“This is the happiest I’ve seen him, Corey.”

“If you hadn’t miscarried last summer, I would’ve been that happy too.”

“You will be, very soon,” I replied looking at him. He smiled and kissed me for a lingering moment before placing his goalie hand on top of mine that rested on my bump.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm only going to have a chapter or two left to post because I feel this story isn't getting read and commented like it used to. So, hope you like this and get ready for an ending to the trilogy.