Frederick's Touch

IV

He had finished his work in town early and on his walk back home had decided that he must speak to Edmund at once. So he dressed and left for the ball. Upon his arrival, he caught sight of Edmund, looking ravishing and dancing merrily. What a beautiful sight, He sighed to himself. So beautiful, in fact, it made his heart ache. He watched Edmund dance as he searched the room for someone, until those warm, brown eyes landed on him. They held each other’s gaze, Edmund trying hard to hide the longing in his eyes—the same longing he himself had felt for a while now. And before he knew it everyone was clapping, and standing before Edmund was the lady he had been dancing with. Frederick squinted his eyes, trying to make out what they were discussing. Apparently Edmund had excused himself, because after he placed a kissed on the lady’s hand, he muttered some words and abruptly left the room. As hard as he tried, he couldn’t resist the urge to follow him, so follow him he did, thinking of what he would say once he got there.

•••

When he placed his hand on Edmund’s shoulder, he turned around, taken by surprise. Frederick stood only inches away from the one person he truly desired, and because he could not take it any longer, he leaned in, letting his breath linger on Edmund’s neck and told him he wished to speak to him, before taking his now trembling hand and leading him away.

•••

“I don’t think thi-” Edmund began to protest but was cut off by Frederick’s soft, smooth lips. He had led them far away from the mansion, far away from the watchful eyes of the guests. They now stood behind a small stone shed that blocked the bright lights and brilliant stars, covering them with a thick blanket of darkness. Frederick had pushed Edmund up against the cool, stone wall, pressing their bodies together. The cold touch of the wall made Edmund shiver, but he hardly took notice as Frederick kissed him passionately, running his fingertips tenderly across his jaw, then through his hair. He moved his lips down Edmund’s neck, leaving a trail of kisses in the process. He bit gently, earning a muffled moan from him.

“I… can’t do this,” Edmund groaned into his hair. Frederick looked up at him, his eyes looking greener than usual. It made Edmund weak in the knees.

He leaned forward and rested his head against Edmund’s and closed his eyes. Neither said anything for a while.

Looking back up at him, Frederick whispered, “I do love you, Edmund. I’ve loved you for as long as I can remember.” And Edmund knew he spoke the truth, because in his eyes there was a sadness that was all too familiar. A sadness that Edmund had felt when he thought of Frederick and knew he couldn’t have him. A sadness, he knew, that was going to be there for the rest of his life.

Edmund smiled at Frederick, and saw that he, too, realised this was as far as they could, as his loving eyes glistened with tears. He placed a kiss on Frederick's lips before whispering, “And I you, my dear.”

They stood there, holding each other, listening to the chirping of the crickets and the sound of their synchronised heartbeats, savouring the precious moments they had together.