Status: Not in progress

Carried Away.

Trade.

Tanya was right, the guys were not too happy about the dress. The length seemed to be the big topic of debate among the men. Marc even offered to go out shopping again with me to get me a new dress. “What is so wrong with it? I happen to think she looks hot,” Natalie said just walking in the room. Jordan looked at her like she was insane. “That’s the problem. She looks hot. I don’t want my sister to look hot. Looking hot is going to attract boys and oh my god you don’t have a boyfriend do you?” All the girls laughed but all the guys faces indicated that this was a life or death question. “No. I don’t.” I said still laughing. He breathed a sigh of relief and leaned back on the couch. “The dress is still too short.” He commented a few seconds later. Heather rolled her eyes. “The majority of people there are going to be family, and I highly doubt a guy would be stupid enough to hit on her with her brothers and their very large friends around anyways. So stop being so overprotective and just tell your sister how beautiful she looks.” The looks on their faces indicated they knew she was right, but there was no way they were going to admit it. After that discussion we all headed to the rehearsal dinner where everything ran smoothly and the meeting of all the family members began.
****
The earsplitting sound of my alarm clock indicated that it was time to get up. Mom was making breakfast in the kitchen while the guys were outside starting to set up for the reception. When I finished my food mom told me what I was to do today. “I need you to help your brothers set up any last minute things, and do whatever the Maid of Honor tells you to do. Can you do that? Oh and of course don’t forget to get ready yourself.” I nodded, put my plate in the sink and went outside to help the guys set up. Luckily they were pretty much done so I didn’t have to do much except put up a few tables and set up plates and silverware. After that they sent me in to go get ready and put on the “still too short” dress. I put on a little bit of makeup (just eye shadow and eyeliner), slid into my dress, and began to work on my hair. As soon as I was done curling my long hair I heard a light knock on the door. “Come in,” I called beginning the waterfall braid on the side of my head. Lindsey walked in in her long black strapless dress, making any self confidence I had disappear. “Just came to see if you needed any help.” Shaking my head I finished my hair and turned towards her. “How’s it look?”
“That’s really cute. Could you do that to mine?” Shocked I nodded. “Do you want me to curl it too or just do it straightened?”
“Curled!” She sat down in my desk chair and I began curling her hair. “So how are you, honestly? I mean this is a huge change and if it were me I would be out of my mind scared. I just wanted to make sure that your o-” “Linds, you almost ready?” Marc asked. When he walked in the room her eyes lit up. “As soon as she finishes my hair I’m ready.” He smiled and gave her a kiss on the cheek before exiting the room. She blushed. They were so adorable together it was almost sickening. After a few seconds her attention turned back to me, her face full of concern. “So, how are you?” I just shrugged, not really sure what to say. “I’m fine. I promise. I’m just trying to adjust to everything.” She looked at me with a face that said bullshit, but let it go. I finished her hair and she thanked me with a small kiss on the cheek. “If you ever need to talk, I’m here. Don’t forget that. You have people who care about you. You never have to do things alone.” With that, she was gone leaving me to the mercy of my thoughts. Looking in the mirror, I could see the tears threatening to fall. I was alone. Yeah they tried to help and make me feel comfortable but something was just wrong. As much as I tried, I couldn’t fit in here. I never fit with my adopted family either. I just don’t fit in anywhere. She just didn’t understand that. None of them did. I don’t even trust myself, how the hell was I supposed to trust them? A tear fell, and it was the only one I was going to allow to fall. I quickly wiped it away. Pull yourself together, I thought. I turned to walk out the door and put on the fake smile I’ve been wearing for the past few days. I walked into the kitchen where my brothers and father were all standing. When I walked in, the laughing stopped. I looked down, afraid to meet their eyes.
Dad was the first one broken out of the trance. “You look beautiful sweetheart.” I met his eyes and blushed. He looked so proud to call me his daughter. He kissed me on the forehead, and left me to the mercy of my brothers. The silence was killing me. “Just say whatever the hell you’re thinking and just get it over with. You’re killing me with the silent treatment.”
Marc chuckled. “I was just thinking how jealous I am that you get to be at Jordan’s wedding and not mine. I was also thinking about how I can possibly keep you locked in a room when you’re in New York. I don’t want any of the guys getting any ideas.” They all laughed. “I was thinking the exact same thing man,” Eric laughed.
***
“I do.”
“I do.”
“You may now kiss the bride.”
I looked at them, the envy boiling up in me. That will never be me. I will never be that beautiful or have a guy look at me that way. I smiled and clapped along with everyone else, but inside of me was a total mess.
“I now introduce to you, Mr. and Mrs. Jordan Staal.”
More clapping and more smiling. How much more of this is there going to be? Everyone slowly filed out to congratulate the new couple. As I stepped out of the pew, I felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned to see one of the greatest hockey players in the world smiling at me. “You’re Jordan’s sister right? I’m Sid, it’s nice to meet you.” I shook his hand and nodded. “I’m Kaylee.” He pointed to the guys next to him. “This is Geno, Kris, and Marc-Andre. We’re teammates of Jordan’s.” I shook their hands and smiled. “Hi. Nice to meet you guys.” I tried not to stare at them. Not only were they cute, but they were extremely tall. My brothers seemed to get all of the height in the family, leaving me at just lovely 5’2. “See couple?” Geno said, his broken English adorable. “Yeah, let’s go.” I said wanting to get out of there as soon as possible. When I got to the back of the church I saw Jared motion me over to the door. Excusing myself from the guys, I quickly walked over. “Did you get them?” He nodded. Marc came out next with the string and the 3 of us tied the cans to the back of the truck. Jordan specifically told us he didn’t want cans attach to the back, so Eric promised that he wouldn’t and he wasn’t. Marc, Jared and I however promised no such thing. We tied them to the back and then put just enough tape on them to hide them so he wouldn’t know they were there, but the second the car starts moving, they should fall. “Shit! It won’t cut. J go grab scissors. Hurry.”
“Ugh. Boys. Do you ever come prepared?” I reached in my purse and handed Marc a pair of scissors. He smiled and cut the string while Jared tied them to the cans and I attached them to the car. Overall, it took about 5 minutes. We quickly made our way back into the church and hid the contraband. I locked eyes with Eric as we walked back to the group of people. I nodded, and he smiled. This was going to be fun. When the car started pulling away the cans fell, just barely drowning out the sound of Jordan cursing and Heather laughing. The guys and I laughed. Marc put his hand on my shoulder.
“Let’s get going.” The 4 of us walked over to the parking lot where the rest of the family was waiting. I rode to the reception, which was at the house, with Tanya, Eric, and Parker. I walked in with Tanya and Parker, the boys going to be with the wedding party, and we went to our seats. When Jordan and Heather came in the place erupted in cheers. Jordan’s manager however looked a little nervous. He walked up to Jordan after he had sat down at the table and whispered something in his ear. Jordan nodded and had a small smile on his face. A few minutes later Eric came over to tell Tanya that Jordan was traded to Carolina and they would be playing together during the upcoming season. Great, I thought. I wouldn’t be getting to go to Pittsburgh. I grew up only an hour away from there and went there a lot for concerts and stuff. I was really kind of looking forward to that. Oh well. So now I’d be spending a lot of time in Carolina. God I hope there is something to do there. Mom brought me out of my trance.
“So, did you hear about Jordan?” I nodded. “Okay. Well I’m thinking we stick with the original plan. You’ll stay with Eric from June 16th to July 12th. You’ll see Jared and Jordan throughout the trip but you’ll actually be living with Eric. Marc will fly down on the 2nd then you two will head up to New York on the 12th of July. No offense sweetheart but I don’t want you in the New York airport by yourself trying to find him. There are too many weird people out there and frankly I don’t trust them when it comes to my babies. Okay. Now that that’s settled, go dance with your brothers.”
After dancing and toasting more in two hours than I had my entire life, it was finally tim to send the new couple off. They were headed off in style too thanks to mine and Jared’s kickass decorating skills (cans not included). As I lay in bed that night trying to fall asleep I heard my door creak open. I closed my eyes pretending to be asleep. The last thing I wanted to do right now was talk. I opened my eyes just enough that I could see who it was. Marc. He sat down on the bed next to me for awhile. Not doing anything but staring at me. Suddenly he leaned down and kissed my head. With that he walked out the same he walked in. And with that, I began to cry.