Falling In

Ethan's Fireworks

“Are you okay?” Ethan asked me when his parents and sister left.

“No I’m not okay!” I hissed at him. “I’m freaking confused and fucking mind fucked!” I huffed as I crossed my arms. Ethan just looked at me and let out a chuckle.

“Do you even try to be cute?” he asked me.

I furiously blushed and rolled my eyes at him. “Flattery isn’t gonna get you out of this Versace,” I hissed.

“Gosh, sorry,” he sighed and took the seat next to me. “Are you mad?” he asked me with a pout. Oh that pout.

“No, I’m not mad. I’m disappointed, I’m confused and I’m fucking lost,” I groaned. “Who fucking knew that you were the son of Adeline Saint-Lauren and Carlos Versace?!” I asked.

“Your brother and Gerald did,” he mumbled under his breath.

“What?!” I asked hysterically as I got up and shook my head, walking out of the venue. I was engulfed by cold air when I got out, but I didn’t care, I was too disappointed at him.

“Stella!” he called out.

“Just go Ethan,” I sighed.

“Stella, please wait up,” he pleaded as he gripped onto my arm. I looked at him, and his eyes pleaded me to stay and listen to him. “Hear me out.”

“Fine,” I said to him as I crossed my arms.

“Can we at least go inside? You must be freezing,” he said worriedly as he took hold on my arm and carefully pulled me with him. “How’s your shoulder by the way?” he asked me.

“It’s fine. Still a little sore, but it’s okay,” I said to him.

“And the arm?”

“I got the cast taken off after a week.”

“You really should be more careful,” he told me.

“Don’t tell me what to do,” I snapped.

He sighed and led me towards a secluded area that barely had anybody around. “Okay,” he sighed. “What do you wanna know first?” he asked.

“I don’t know. Just start explaining,” I told him, as I looked away.

“Can you at look at me?” he sighed. I rolled my eyes and looked at him. “Okay, well… I grew up here with my mom and I went to school here. Everyone knew who my parents were and it was difficult. It was difficult to find real friends that didn’t go after my family’s money. Even parents of 5 year-old’s would tell their children to befriend me in hoping to climb the social ladder. Your brother and I have been friends since we were kids. He and your mom would always visit us here until we were about 12. The summers that your brother disappears, he’s here. We kept in touch and everything.

I moved to California when I was fifteen, hoping that people wouldn’t mind much of who I am and whatnot. I was In LA for a bit, because that’s where my grandparents were but it was all the same because hell, it was LA,” he laughed dryly. “And until the school year after the summer I met you, girls have been all over me because they knew of who I am. That’s why I was scared to tell you. You were just so down to Earth and genuine and you didn’t care about what anybody thought of you. You weren’t the type of girl that fussed with how she looked and the kind of girl that just screams out ‘what you see is what you get’ and that drove me insane.

And whenever some news comes out because of these spoiled brats, you always say how irritated you are at them that they don’t just embrace what they have. I was scared that if you found out what my family background was, I was afraid that you’d think I was like them, and you’d think that I was lying to you all along and that I’m not who you thought I was,” he sighed and took my hand in his.

“I liked you Stella,” he smiled lightly and shook his head. “I really did. You’re a great person, you’re beautiful and you’re… God, words can’t even express how amazing I think you are. I just didn’t want anything to get in the middle of that. I asked Jake and Gerald to keep it from you for obvious reasons, and years went by and they told me to tell you, then you stopped talking to me and cut off everything. I thought you found out, and I guessed that there was no point in trying to make it up to you,” he sighed and hung his head. “I tried Stella, I really did.”

“Ethan,” I sighed as I put my hand over his. “I… This wasn’t the reason I stopped talking to you,” I said softly making his head snap up to look at me. “But I…,” I paused, trying to find the right words to say. “It’s not the time to tell you why, and what the hell was going through my head, but I do regret it E,” I sighed. “I didn’t know this was how you felt and this was your situation. God, I feel like such a jerk. I shouldn’t have gotten mad at you earlier, it was my fault anyways. It was my fault for walking away and it was my fault that I didn’t stick around long enough to learn these little things about you.

But E, please always know that even if I found out back then, it wouldn’t change a thing. I know I would’ve been a bit upset, but it wouldn’t change the way I looked at you. If that was all an act, after 6 months you’d already break and show your true self. Your genuine personality, your awkward but adorable ways, they make you… Well, you,” I smiled at Ethan as I squeezed his hand.

“You’re still the Ethan I know that loves to spend his time on the rink to play hockey, and out in the snow to snowboard and the Ethan that spends his summer days jet-skiing with Gerald. And the Ethan that goes gaga over penguins and dogs, and the one that absolutely loathes spiders and crazy drivers, who himself is a crazy driver, and the one that picks on me like crazy alongside my brother and bestfriend. Ethan, if out of the blue those things changed then I can truly say that I don’t know you anymore. But if they haven’t,” I paused and looked at him with a small smile. “You’re still my Ethan, and that’s not gonna change, okay?”

He just stared at me for a long while before speaking. “You drive me insane, Stella Grace,” he shook his head as he pulled me into a hug. “I missed you,” he told me.

“Please don’t make me cry E, my make up’s gonna run and your mom’s gonna be terrified,” I laughed as I wiped the small tears starting to run.

“It’s okay, even with running make up you’ll never look ugly,” he said as he pulled away and smirked at me.

“Hey, flattery isn’t gonna get you out of this one buddy,” I stuck my tongue out at him. “But I do miss you,” I smiled at him.

“Did you really?” he asked, eyes wide.

I rolled my eyes at him. “Fine, I didn’t miss you, you freak,” I laughed.

“I missed your laugh,” he said, his face holding shock that he even said it. “I uhh…” he mumbled as he scratched the back of his neck.

“You’re still as awkward as ever,” I smiled as I pinched his cheek. “Let’s go back to the party,” I said as I took hold of his hand and pulled him up.

“Does this mean you’ll give us a shot at being friends again?” he asked, hope evident in his eyes. Just Friends?, the back of my mind asked, but I just chuckled and continued to pull him along with me, not wanting to give deeper thought into it.

I paused before I entered the venue because I felt my phone ring once again. “Hold on,” I mumbled as I pulled it out and put it to my ear. “Hello?”

“Hey Stells, sorry to bother you, but I wanted to tell you that Avalanche isn’t feeling very well,” Deegan said worriedly.

“What?!” I screeched. “What happened? Is he sick?” I asked.

“I don’t know,” Deegan said sadly.

“Can you put me on speaker?” I asked.

“Yeah sure,” he said and I heard some shuffling sounds. “You’re on speaker now.

“Avie baby, are you okay?” I asked. “I’m sorry that mommy can’t be there right now. I’m pretty far away. But daddy will take care of you, okay?” I cooed to the phone. “Tell him to feed you right, okay baby?” I cooed. “Deegan, you are dead meat. But please take care of Av okay?” I asked.

“Yeah, I called the vet already, he’ll be here in a bit. I’ll text you what the results are,” he said.

“Okay. Bye,” I mumbled and sadly pushed my phone into my clutch. I turned around and jumped out of my skin seeing Ethan. I totally forgot he was even there. A smile grew on my face though and I pulled him towards the door.

Once we were back inside the venue, Ethan took the lead. He straightened his posture, giving off the professional but playful aura around him. It was a shock at how quickly he went from the awkward dork I’ve always known to this man.

“Come on,” he whispered taking my hand and pulling me towards his parents. The nervousness that came over me was different this time. “Hey ma, sorry we ran off like that,” he apologized as he gave her a kiss on the cheek.

“It’s no problem Jay,” she replied. She raised an eyebrow as she looked down at our hands. I quickly pulled away, and bit my lip. She chuckled at the sudden impulse. “So, you two already know each other,” she stated.

“Mommy! Daddy!” Elizabeth suddenly piped up.

“Yes honey?” Adeline smiled as he looked down at the six-year old.

“That’s Stella Grace! The girl that was in the picture beside Ethan in the picture in his room!” she suddenly said.

I jaw dropped open, and my face was breaking out into a smile. I looked over at Ethan, whom was fuming tomato. Adeline was the first to break out into giggles.

“You’re right Elizabeth, she is the girl in the picture,” Adeline chuckled.

“Mom,” Ethan grumbled.

“Oh honey, it’s okay,” she cooed. “So, you aren’t just Neil’s daughter are you?” she asked as she gave me a smile. “Oh lovely. Isn’t this a perfect start to a new year, isn’t it dear?” she asked her husband.

He let out a chuckle and looked down at his wife. “It sure is,” he confirmed.

“Good evening everyone, before the year ends and another year begins, I wanted to play this one song for all the couples out there that would be there for each other through everything. Not just couples but friends, and families. Happy New Years everyone,” the DJ said before a familiar tune started to play.

My head snapped towards Ethan who had a knowing smile on his face. He stood in front of me as he held out a hand.

“Puis-je avoir cette danse?” he asked.

“Vous pouvez,” I laughed as I put my hand in his and he pulled me towards the dance floor where everyone had been.

Stella Grace Descenzo ; June 2007

“What do you wanna do today?” Ethan asked me while I was lounging on his couch in his room.

“I don’t know. Where’s everyone?” he replied, as he sat next to me.

“They have work,” I frowned.

“Losers,” he mumbled.

“Don’t you have work?” I asked him.

“I took the whole week off. I wouldn’t let you spend your summer here alone,” he smiled at me.

“Awww,” I smiled as I scooted closer to him and leaned against his shoulder. He wrapped his arm around my waist as I picked on my nails. “I’m really bored,” I said.

“What time is it?” he asked me.

“6,” I mumbled.

“What? Everyone’s still at work?” he asked incredulously.

“Yeah.”

“Wanna order dinner to eat in the backyard? Then see what’s up after?” he asked.

I nodded at him as I stood up. “What do you wanna eat?”

“Do you wanna order Olive Garden?”

“Yeah, that’s fine,” I shrugged and walked towards his kitchen and took the flyer for Olive Garden’s menu and dialed the number.

We waited around the house watching the TV and flipping through channels while we waited for our food. We both jumped when it came and immediately went out back to set up a blanket in his huge lawn. He placed the food down on the blanket and saw down.

We immediately started eating and just talking as he told me jokes and stories about work and school. I told him some of my antics in school and about stuff during the snowboarding season. After we’ve put away our food, we laid in the middle of the blanket, I laid down on his stomach and he held my hand that was resting on my stomach.

“Do you remember the song that I sang way back at Gerald’s grad party?” he asked me.

“Yeah,” I chuckled. “I liked it,” I told him.

He chuckled a bit. “Right after I finished it, I saw you,” he said to me.

“Oh really,” I teased, looking up at him.

“Really,” he laughed.

There was a moment of silence between us as we looked up at the starry night. “Hey, Stella Grace?”

“Uhuh?”

“What are we?” he asked me.

“What do you mean?”

“I mean, what are we to each other? We’re here together under the stars, and you visit me during the summer and I visit you during the winter and… I don’t know, I like being with you. And I like you. What do you feel about me?” he asked.

“I… I uhh… I like you too, but I don’t know what we are exactly,” I mumbled.

“It’s okay. I just wanted to know how you felt about me,” he said quietly. “And now that I know that I wont be making a complete fool out of myself for this, I wanted to uhh… share something with you.”

“OH?” I asked as I sat up and looked down at him. He grinned as he stood up and helped me get up as he pulled me back into the house and led me into a room I’ve never been into before. It was a room full of instruments. He pulled me to the corner of the room where a black grand piano sat, as he sat down on the stool, and motioned for me to stand next to him.

I raised an eyebrow at him, and he let out a nervous laugh.

“I heard this song a few days ago after you told me you were gonna come here, and well I guess it just sums up how I feel for you,” he said quietly and started playing a melodic tune that I knew I’d never forget

I had my arms wrapped around his neck and rested my forehead on his chest as he rested his head on mine.

“It’s our song,” he whispered.

“I know, how can I forget?” I chuckled.

“One day when the sky is falling,
I’ll be standing right next to you,
Right next to you..,” he laughed as he sang it.

“Still have that angelic voice, I see,” I teased him as he blushed.

“You’re still amazing you know?” he asked.

“I know,” I grinned.

“Conceited,” he laughed. “No really, I really did miss you,” he said seriously.

“I missed you too,” I said honestly as I looked up into his eyes.

“I thought nothing could ever come between us?” he asked, quoting a line from the song.

“I thought so too,” I said quietly, continuing to stare into his eyes. The song just played in the background, and it seemed that we stopped moving, and just stared at each other.

“You’ve got that smile, that only heaven can make. I pray to God everyday, To keep you forever,” he sang the last part to me before the fireworks went off.

The real one and the one that I felt inside me once his lips met mine.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm apologizing in advance because I just started the rest of my 20 units today! yes, 20. 5 for spanish. 5 for chem. 2 social studies that are both 3 units each and my trigonometry which is 4 units :( bear with me! and leave me comments for when I return next week! that would mean the world to me . thanks