Status: Active

In Fate's Hands

Chapter 3

I leaped over a beanbag to the huge DVD shelf in our living room, frantically searching for White Chicks (the best movie ever produced).

Danielle left me to my job and raced into the kitchen while shouting, “I GOT THE POPCORN AND DRINKS. JESS, YOU'RE IN CHARGE OF ENTERTAINMENT AND SETUP. HUT HUT TWENTY-TWO FOUR HUNDRED SIXTY SOMETHING LET'S GO PEOPLE MOVE IT!”

I ran my fingers down the neatly stacked DVDs and pulled out the one I wanted. Expecting Jonathan to be prepared to catch, I flung the movie at him without warning and sprinted into the kitchen to help Danielle with the snacks.

Danielle threw a pack of popcorn that hit me right as I entered the kitchen doorway. “Hey wassup gurrlll? Pop some corn will ya?”

“A'ight, I got it.” I threw the popcorn into the microwave and slammed the door shut. I leaned against the fridge as I prepared myself for the first couple of “POP”s that always seem to catch me by surprise.

“So Danny, you were a bit weird back there .” I began as I watched Danielle's expression closely, expecting it to change.

“No I wasn't Jess, you're thinking too much,” Danielle answered as she continued to pour chips into wooden bowls.

“Yeah you were, c'mon, spill it Dan! I can tell when you're acting weird,” I responded. I knew something was up.

“Argh, fine,” Danielle put down the bowls and bags of chips and turned to me. She looked away uneasily as she wiped her hands against her old jeans. Her eyes traveled all around the room until they finally met mine.

“Well..uhh..you asked for it. We didn't want you to know so soon but here goes.” Danielle took a deep breath. “Guess what?!” She gushed excitedly, although I spotted a hint of embarrassment beneath her emotion.

“What?!” I mocked her.

“JON AND I ARE DATING!!!” she screamed.

I winced at the sharp and sudden sound, and found myself at a loss of words. “Suh... Suhweeeet.” was all I could manage.

Danielle cocked an eyebrow at me. “Seriously? 'Suhweet' was all you could say?”

“Hey, don't blame me,” I defended. “You sprung that one on me like a frog!”

Danielle looked at me expectantly.

“Alright fine. Congratulations! I'm super happy for you guys and I love you both.” I forced out a smile.

“Yay! I knew you would come through.” Danielle engulfed me into one of those bear hugs of hers.

I felt hurt. Danielle took me for granted and broke one of the major bff rules of “you should never date your best friend's ex” but I just couldn't bring myself to be mad. Jonathan and I were long over and they both deserved a chance to be together.

We gathered the junk food and raced each other back into the living room.

“Let's get this partay started ya'll!” exclaimed Danielle.

“Ya definitely sista!” I replied.

Jonathan settled himself in the middle of the couch, laughing at our stupidity.

Slightly out of breath, we both took a look at Jonathan, sitting on the couch lazily like a typical guy, and we turned to each other and spoke so fast we began cutting each other off.

“He has no spirit.”

“He thinks he can just waltz right in and just plop down - -”

“Yeah, no, I mean what a pig - -”

“What a loser.”

“Mhm, you said it, guuuuuurlfrend.” I finished, as I put my hand on my hip and gave him the “Oh no you didn't” face.

We started cracking up and finally sat down on either sides of Jon to enjoy the movie. Danielle gently placed her head against Jonathan's shoulder and he automatically put his arm around her. I turned my attention to my television and braced myself for the most awkward night of my life.
♠ ♠ ♠
okay so ignore everything violet.sky3 says-
she's an excellent writer and she's gonna go far.
YOU'RE GONNA GO FAR, KID.
hahaaaa, the offspring reference.

anyway yeah, most of the editing and stuff is done by violet.sky3; she's the most hardworking person i know.
she's like my other half. except, you know, more hardworking, awesome, and basically everything i'm not. ;)

COMMENTS/SUBS?