Sequel: The Other Woman
Status: Completed

Black Sheep

Chapter 26

I arrived back home and changed quickly, expecting Harry to be lazing around the house, after spending his day cutting ribbons and kissing babies. Will and Kate were sat in front of the TV.
“So I have some news.” I said as I put my keys and handbag on the sideboard under the coatpegs.
“Do tell.” Kate shouted back.
“I have a new job, starting on Monday.” Will stood up to hug me tightly and Kate made a move to try and struggle to stand up with her pregnant belly.
“Don’t bother,” I said as I leant down to hug her. “So what have you both done today?”
“We had a final meeting with the doctor, and everything is in place for the due date next week. The plan so far is to call the doctor as soon as Kate’s waters break then we’ll drive in through the delivery road around the back,” Will said happily, as if he were a child talking about how Santa Clause would come down the chimney. Kate, just sighed. “I’m just excited for him to be here.”
“Him?” I asked. Kate and will shared a quick glance.
“Yes, we’re having a little boy. But don’t tell Harry, we want it to be a surprise for him.”
“My lips are sealed. Speaking of Harry, where is the ginger nut?”
“He went out with a few of the guys about an hour ago, he said not to wait up.” Will said with slight amusement.
“I haven’t been able to speak to him all day. I rang him earlier and he asked me to ring him back later.”
“He’s been busy in the office this morning then he met up with the guys early in the afternoon, and you know what they’re like.”
“I know what guys are generally like, but I’ve never met any of his friends.”
“There’s nothing to worry about really.” Kate said, turning back to the TV with a sigh.

“The world’s media are gathering outside the Lindo wing to wait the arrival of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s arrival. We cross over live to our reporter there.” The newsreader said, we watched as the pictures for hundreds and hundreds of TV crews and photographers.

“It’s strange to think that he’ll be here next week.” Will mused, almost to himself. We sat in a combined, comfortable silence as images of kings and queens past present and future graced the screen.
I eventually excused myself and went to get ready, calling Harry one final time.
“Hi love, sorry I haven’t spoken to you all day.”
“It’s ok, I know you’ve been busy. I just wanted to tell you I got the job.”
“Congratulations. We can definitely celebrate tomorrow night.”
“Yeah of course darling.” I sighed. I could hear I could hear the sounds of his friends in the background shouting at him for being on the phone. “I’ll let you get back to What you were doing.”
“Thanks. You’re an absolute angel. Do you know how much I love you?”
“Lots?”
“More than that. Have fun with everyone tonight. I can’t tell you how happy I am that you’ve left that job.”
“I know. I love you too.” And with that he hung up. I sighed once again and continued to get ready. Why was he being so suspicious? I just didn’t understand it.
I finally slipped into some shoes and headed out.

********
Days went by with no more news on why Harry was being suspicious. We just carried on as normal. I was due to start my new job the Monday after, but as I was getting ready for the day ahead. Harry got a phone call.
“Don’t go to work today.” He sounded serious, so I refrained from putting my tights on.
“I know you want spend all day in be with me but I have to go to work.”
“You can’t go into work. Kate has gone into labour.” Suddenly all systems were go. Harry threw himself out of bed and rifled through his wardrobe for a suit.
“What’s suitable for an uncle to wear?” he said, mostly to himself.
“Just calm down, darling. We might not even be able to see them for a while.” Harry sat back down on the edge of the bed and took a shaky breath.
“I can’t calm down. I’m about to be an uncle.” I sat beside him and stroked his hair as he stared into the distance, just thinking. “what if there’s something wrong?”
“Wills’ll call us straight away.”
“But what if he doesn’t?”
“He will. He promised me.”
“But what if…”
“It’ll be fine. Just calm down.” His head fell into the crook of my neck and we sat for a while, lost in our own thoughts. Until at quarter past six the phone rang again. There was a lot of nodding and a permanent smile on his face.
“Kate’s had a boy.” He almost whispered and held me tighter. “I’m an uncle.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this has taken so long, I've been really busy at the moment, but I'm glad people are still reading!
:) xxx