Status: Maybe?

Salty & Sweet

i am intelligent

Everything in sight was hazy, as if someone had spread Vaseline over my eyes. Shapes and colors could be made out, however detail in the images was lacking immensely. In the distance, something that looked like a woman stood was her hands near her unidentifiable, detail-less face. Her eyes, nose, or mouth were not visible through my hazy vision, but I could almost feel the anguish and worry that washed over her. Not only that, but confusion was notable in the way she spun her body around in circles, peering at everything around her and letting her blonde hair whip her face. Never did she peer at me though; at least, not for a few moments. When her figure finally faced me though, she lurched out at me at such a speed that the moment between when she was standing a fairly good distance away, to now up in my face was inexistent. It was as if we were in a comic, and the illustrator had missed a panel. My own eyes grew wide at the sudden appearance, but even when she was pressed up against me, her face was blank. However, this time around I could hear something, like she was murmuring but at such a low in frequency I could not understand.

Suddenly, the image went snowy and it reminded me of a television screen as I watched the girl fade in and out, her murmurs once in awhile becoming more coherent. Who was the girl? What did she want? My mind reeled at the moment the image became clear for a fraction of a second.

“Come…back…!” The blonde girl in front of me whispered in a voice unfamiliar, yet recognizable. Without any further ado, she and the hazy white background vanished, leaving me perplexed in an endless darkness.

*~*x*~*

When I blinked my eyes open, the first thing I noted was my body was covered in a layer of sweat under the new Organization cloak. The feeling made me feel disgusting, but I couldn’t just take it off when there was nothing else to wear here besides the one coat. With a sigh, a raked my fingers through my hair and sat up in the white bed, glancing out the single window. Darkness stared right back and I grimaced, already wishing that I could return to Twilight Town. First, though, someone was going to have to teach me how to use those darkness doors that everyone seems to travel around using. That would make everything that much easier. As I rose from my bed – speak of the devil – a dark corridor appeared in my room. When no one exited, I pursed my lips and called out to it.

“Hello?” No answered. “Hellooo? Someone there?” Still, no one answered and the warp hole swirled the darkness silently. Aggravated by this, instead of entering it like whoever made the darkness door had probably wanted, I left through the door leading out into the hallways. That’ll show them, confusing me more than I was already.

Just as yesterday, there was no soul in the vacant halls and fear and loneliness once again crept up on me. However, my legs continued on through the blindingly white halls, looking for somewhere to go. My eyes trailed over a glass wall, noticing shelves and books on the other side of it, none of which were white. Glee overcame my being and I scurried to the library with a grin spreading over my lips. I don’t remember seeing this yesterday, I thought when I stood just inside the room. Then again, who knows if I’d even taken this path yesterday. Without any further thoughts, I skipped into the library and peered around at the thousands of books spread around the room. There were at the very least ten different shelves, which were clutter with pieces of literature on both sides. Around the room were stacks of books, piled high enough to be used as tables. Some of them were old and tearing at the seams, while others seemed relatively new. However, a pattern I noticed with most every book was that they weren’t enjoyment novels, but scientific theorems and research material and geographic novels and such. It was as if the only thing these people found interesting was learning about everything. As I began to approach a stack nearest the single window, a voice cleared behind me and my body shot up in fear. Whipping around, my eyes caught sight of a male who had to have been at least a few years younger than myself, with silvery-blue hair and matching eyes. There was a dark grey book under his arm and I could just make out Ignes Fatui written on its spine. The younger male stare at my frightened and guilty being as thoughts of me getting the boot after not going through the dark corridor filled my head. However, the man surprised me.

“At least you had chosen to come here.” He sighed, rubbing his temples as he approached me.

I stood straighter. “What?”

“Xemnas,” he stated, walking passed me to one of the cluttered tables in the room. “after your obvious fail on yesterday’s mission, decided to see if you would at least have enough intelligence to fulfill a reconnaissance mission, or the likes. Thus, landing you with me to judge your mental capacity.”

I decided then, as he began explaining what he was going to do, that this kid had more of this ‘mental capacity’ than I ever would. Also realizing something else, I blurted out while he was in the middle of his explanation, “What’s your name?”

He paused, unaware that I hadn’t been really paying attention to him. “My name is Zexion.”

“Oh,” I answered, nodding. “I’m Raxle, it’s nice to meet you.”

I sent him a grin and held out my hand, however he just stared at me incredulously. Blinking, I pulled my hand back and frowned in confusion. Fine, don’t shaken my hand! He muttered something under his breath, but it was too low for me to understand. When I asked him, he just shook his head and went back to explaining what we were going to do. Listening closely, he explained that he was going to ask me a series of questions about anything he feels I should know. For the questions I get incorrectly, he explained, Zexion would tell me the correct answer. After going through the questions once, he would then ask the questions I had gotten wrong the first time and see if I had remembered what I told him. Nodding, I accepted this challenge and with no further ado, he pulled out paper. A lot of paper.

Something tells me this isn’t going to just be a ten-question quiz…

*~*x*~*

All of them. I got all of them wrong; all eighty-seven questions. At least, the first time around that was the case. The second time though, I managed to get a much better score.

“Hmm…” Zexion pondered, after I’d answered the last of the questions for the second time. My brow dripped sweat from concentrating on getting at least some correct this time around. “While it seems, just as it was stated, that you have absolutely no knowledge of anything here or from other worlds, your mental capacity is far greater than most of the members here.”

I paused. “How’d you come to that conclusion? I got every answer wrong!”

“The first time.” He stated, rising from his seat. “This time, you managed to get all but two correct. The sheer fact that you were able to learn and memorize eighty-five of the questions without any prior knowledge is almost unheard of. This feat is almost as impossible as your emotional capacity, especially for a Nobody.” Before I could asked him anything, he added, “I do hope you will further assist us in the future. We are now done here.”

As he was about to leave, I rose quickly and shouted out, “Wait!”

He turned around, holding his emotionless expression though I could tell he was a bit annoyed by my outburst. “Yes? Do you have a question?”

I nodded quickly. “I do, and I promise to be quick! Can you please explain to me how exactly you and everyone else makes those dark corridors? I can’t figure out how.” He sighed, as if I had just asked him what color this castle was.

“Just hold out your arm and focus on the darkness,” he said, spinning around, book in hand, and leaving me to myself in the library. While I was a bit frustrated by his rudeness, at least he had told me what to do and for that I was thankful. With a small smile, I silently grinned at the Cloaked Schemer.

Reaching out my arm, I shut my eyes and focused on the dark until I felt something wrap around my fingers. When I opened my eyes, purple and blankness swirled around my hand and grew bigger until it stood taller than I. A laugh flew from my lips, proud of my latest achievement and clapped my hands with joy. Without looking back, I sprinted into the darkness until a familiar red sunset filled my vision.