Another Night and I'll See You

A brother?

"Carol!"

Carol didn't listen. She raised the music volume. When her father calls her downstairs, it's usually for silly reasons, such as high phone bill, or that one of her teachers complained about her.

"Carol, would you come downstairs, please? I have something important to tell you."

Hmm. He even used the word 'important'. That's rare for Carol's father. Maybe she should actually come down that time. She paused the music.

"What is it, dad?" she shouted.

"Look, we need to talk. It's really important. I've been hiding the truth from you for many long years... It's time for you to know."

He spoke slowly. Carol became interested. She liked secrets, so she slowly went downstairs.

"OK, dad, what is it?" she asked, trying to hide the interest in her voice.

"Sit down, Carol," said her father and pointed to the sofa.

They both sat down. Then, her father started to speak.

"Well... I kept this thing a secret to you for so many years. Your mother didn't want me to tell it to you, so I didn't. But I think it's time for you to know."

"To know what?" asked Carol.

"You... You've got a step-brother."

"What?! A step-brother? Oh holy fuck," said Carol. She didn't know if she should be happy or sad. But she was defenetely shocked.

A brother?