Status: Active

Hear You Me

Frozen Up I've Realized that Something's Gotta Change

The last note rang out through the church and then slowly faded. Delilah watched as the choir began to gather their things signaling the end of their Saturday morning choir practice. She slowly closed the piano lid before standing up.

“Delilah, thank you so much for offering to take over as church pianist. Your playing is as lovely as you are my dear.”

Delilah smiled up at the older lady who was the choir leader. “Thank you Mrs. Albertson, and taking over as church pianist is really no big deal. I’ve moved back here so I might as well become involved in the church again.”

“Well I just wanted to say thank you. I know right now must be a tough time for you. If you ever need anything, the church is always here for you. Goodbye dear.”

Delilah forced a smile as she told Mrs. Albertson goodbye. She began gathering up her hymnal and other music books. She just wanted to get away from the piano. She’d been playing piano since she was three years old and used to love it. Ever since her best friend’s funeral though, she felt as if she played with no emotion. Everyone still complimented her playing but to her it just sounded flat.

“Delilah?”

Delilah turned around and saw Sarah Kanitz, Joel’s mom, standing behind her. The ache in her chest just grew stronger. She hadn’t heard from Joel since Holland’s funeral. It was almost as if he died with her. Delilah felt as if she’d lost both of her best friends.

“Hi Sarah. I liked your solo during practice,” Delilah said, referencing the song where Joel’s mom had a solo. Musical talent ran in their family.

“Thank you,” Sarah gave a small smile. “Have you talked to Joel recently? Today’s his birthday and I was hoping you guys might have something planned.”

Delilah shook her head. “No, I haven’t heard from Joel since the funeral. I’ve tried calling him a few times but he refuses to answer.”

“He didn’t even call you on your birthday?”

“No.”

“That’s what I was afraid of. Joel’s let himself die along with Holland. Just promise me you won’t give up on him, Lila,” Sarah sighed.

“I’ll keep trying.”

“Thank you dear. This has been hard on everyone, but you and Joel especially,” Sarah said as she reached out to hug Delilah.

Delilah gladly leaned into the hug. Sarah was like a second mom to her. Shortly after the hug, Sarah left the church leaving Delilah alone in the sanctuary.

Delilah stared up at the stained-glass window that had been both her and Holland’s favorite. She blinked back tears as she whispered, “We need you, Holl. Everything’s a mess and you’re the only one who can fix it. Please, come back.”

Delilah knew her wish for Holland to come back was impossible but she wished for it anyway. Every 11:11 she caught she would wish for her best friend. There was nothing else she wanted.

Delilah looked around the church one last time before heading to her car. She had basically grown up in that sanctuary thanks to the fact that her dad had been the minister at that church for thirty years. She used to find comfort in the sanctuary but now she only saw it as the place where Holland’s funeral took place.

Delilah got into her car and began driving to her apartment. She wished she could drive away from all the memories but knew that was impossible.

Delilah was so absorbed in her thoughts she almost didn’t notice the letter resting by her door.

She picked it up and nearly laughed out loud when she recognized the handwriting.

“You’re always full of surprises, aren’t you Holl?” Delilah said with her eyes cast towards the sky.

Delilah walked into the house and immediately opened her letter.

Hey there Delilah…What’s it like in Arizona?

Delilah rolled her eyes. Holland knew Delilah hated it when she sang that song to her.

Haha I know you hate when I sing that song to you. This was the perfect opportunity though. I couldn’t pass it up! Happy belated birthday. Sorry I didn’t send you a letter on your birthday but it didn’t fit in with my plan.

“You and your plans,” Delilah muttered. “They usually got us into trouble.”

My plans usually got us into trouble, didn’t they? You and Joel always had the common sense whereas I didn’t really care. You guys would’ve never had any fun without me. I’m kidding, but I definitely made life more interesting.

Anyway, I miss you Lila. I know I’m currently in Heaven and it’s great and everything but I miss you, like crazy. I’m sure you miss me too but I’m going to help you with that. You’ll get a series of letters with things that I want you to do. It’s like the bff version of “P.S. I Love You”- Holland and Lila style. Anyway, many of these things will be out of your comfort zone. Do it anyway, Lila. I always pushed you when I was with you and I don’t want you to just do “safe things” now since I’m gone.

Your first task…don’t push Joel away. I know you’re probably mad at him for not speaking to you since the funeral (I’m assuming this is how it’s been. Maybe he’s talked to you since then but I doubt it). Anyway, you should be mad; I’d be mad too. Don’t let your anger push him away though. You guys need to stick together and help each other through this.

Joel should be coming to your door soon. At least I told him to and let’s face it, I had that boy so whipped he did anything I told him. When he comes to your apartment don’t push him away. Please don’t, Lila. Hear him out. Do it for me.

That’s your first task. Simple, right?

All my love,
Holland


Delilah shook her head and muttered to herself, “I hate to break it to you Holl, but Joel isn’t coming. He’s too wrapped up in his grief. Nice try though.”

Delilah set the letter down and began making her way towards the kitchen when there was a knock at the door. She looked at the letter and wondered if Holland had been right. Delilah shook her head and made her way to the door.

Much to her surprise, it was Joel on the other side.

“Well, well, well. Look who finally decided to make an appearance,” Delilah sarcastically said.

“Lila, I’m sorry,” Joel begged for forgiveness.

“Sorry for what, Joel? Sorry for only worrying about yourself? Sorry for completely shutting yourself off from the rest of the world. Or sorry for not being here when I needed you the most?”

“All of it…I’m sorry for all of it. I’m here now though.”

Delilah rolled her eyes. “Yeah, you’re here because Holland told you to in some letter.”

“You got a letter too? How is she doing this?” Joel asked.

“I’m not sure. Are you really that shocked though? Holland always had a way of surprising everyone.”

Joel smiled. “Yeah, she did. Listen Lila, I truly am sorry. I knew I was being selfish but I couldn’t get myself to stop. I just needed a push and the letter gave me that push.

Delilah was silent as she thought through the advice she’d been given from both Joel’s mom and Holland that day.

“Fine,” Delilah sighed. “I forgive you.”

Joel instantly wrapped his arms around his best friend. “Thank you Lila. I promise from now on that I’ll be there for you. We’ll get through this. Now grab your things and let’s go.”

“Wait. Go where?”

“Our birthday tradition. Duh.”

Image


“Aren’t we a little old to be playing putt-putt?” Joel complained.

Delilah laughed. “You’re just saying that because you’re getting beat by a girl.”

“You have an unfair advantage. You played golf in high school and you still go out and play with your dad.”

“Joel, golf and putt-putt are totally different.”

“Are not.”

“Stop being such a sore loser.”

“It’s my birthday. Shouldn’t you let me win or something?”

Delilah rolled her eyes. “I would let you win except you forgot about my birthday so this makes up for it.”

“Oh yeah,” Joel hung his head. “I’m really sorry about that, Lila.”

Delilah shrugged. “What’s done is done. We’ll be there for each other from now on.”

“Yep, we will. Pink promise,” Joel said as he held out his pinkie.

Delilah looked at Joel’s outstretched pinkie and laughed. “You think we’re too old for putt-putt but not too old for pinkie promises?”

“Hey, don’t mess with pinkie promises. Do it, Lila!” Joel shook his pinkie at her.

“Fine,” Delilah hooked with her pinkie with Joel’s. “I promise to help you through this.”

“And I promise that from now on I’ll always be there for you. Call me, beep me, if you wanna reach me,” Joel said.

“You are such a dork,” Delilah laughed. “Now move so we can finish this last hole and I can officially win.”

Joel rolled his eyes and began complaining about Delilah’s “unfair advantage” again.

Delilah and Joel were on the right path towards getting over their grief but they both knew there was an even longer road ahead of them. They also knew they’d desperately need the other to get through it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Outfit

Joel finally reached out to Delilah and Holland sent Delilah a letter...thoughts?

Thanks so much to forevernalways, pelican park., and zillyboo for comenting.

It's not too late to join my contest if you want.

comment and subscribe :)