Status: Active

Hear You Me

To the Way I Was Before

Delilah breathed in the much cooler air of Utah as she got out of her car. It was a relief in more ways than one to be in Utah. Delilah actually enjoyed the snow which she never saw since she was from Arizona but there was a good couple inches in Utah since it was late January. It was also a relief to be out of Arizona because Delilah needed some time to sift through her and Joel’s fight. It had been a week since she’d stormed away from him and she missed him but she was still hurt that he and Holland had kept such a big secret from her.

Delilah decided the best way to clear her mind was to go to Utah for the weekend and visit Laura, one of her good friends who was attending BYU.

Delilah found her way to Laura’s dorm and knocked on her door. Laura opened the door and engulfed her in a big hug.

“Lila, I’m so glad you’re here! I’ve missed you,” Laura said with a huge smile on her face.

“I’m glad I’m here too. It’s nice to be out of Arizona for a few days.”

“So why did you decide to come visit me? Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad you’re here but you driving up here to see me was a bit unexpected,” Laura said, wasting no time with the interrogation since she knew there had to be a reason why Delilah wanted to get out of Arizona for a few days. Delilah and Laura had been friends in junior high since Delilah and Holland had attended different junior highs. Once high school hit Delilah and Holland were able to hang out at school along with outside of school but Delilah still stayed good friends with Laura too even though Holland remained her best friend. Delilah was glad she still had Laura with Holland gone.

“I just wanted to see some snow and thought I could help you with some wedding things,” Delilah said. “The wedding’s coming up pretty quickly.”

“I know. According to my countdown it’s only four months and two days away. Seems crazy, doesn’t it?”

“It does. We just graduated a little over two years ago and now you’re getting married.”

“Well you know what they say at BYU…ring by spring,” Laura shrugged.

“I always thought it meant get a ring by spring of your senior year.”

“Technically it does. I just like to do things early, “Laura laughed.

“You know I always thought Holland and Joel’s would be the first wedding I’d be a part of,” Delilah mused.

“Really? I never pictured Joel and Holland getting married. I know they were high school sweethearts and all but I never pictured them together forever. Now you and Joel is a different story.”

“What do you mean?”

Laura rolled her eyes. “Delilah, please. You’ve been in love with Joel since junior high.”

“I have not,” Delilah argued.

“Don’t even try to lie about it.”

“So what’s up with you and Joel?” Laura whispered to Delilah on the bus.

“Nothing. We’re just friends,” Delilah shrugged.

“Delilah, you guys aren’t ‘just friends.’ Joel is in high school yet he still talks to you even though you’re just in eighth grade. None of the other high schoolers will even look at us junior high kids.”

“That doesn’t mean anything.”

“He also walks you home,” Laura argued.

“We get off at the same bus stop.”

“Yeah but his house is in the opposite direction. He walks home with you just so he can talk to you and then turns back around to walk to his house. That’s more than friendship.”

“Whatever,” Delilah rolled her eyes but she couldn’t hid the blush forming on her cheeks.

“Oh my gosh! You like him!” Laura squealed.

“Shhh! I do not,” Delilah hissed as the bus came to a stop.

“Hey Lila, you ready to go?” Joel asked as he paused by Delilah and Laura’s seat.

“Yeah, let’s go,” Delilah said as she stood up and grabbed her backpack.

“You can’t run from the truth, Delilah Reed!” Laura yelled after her and started laughing when Delilah glared back at her.

“Wow, junior high kids are so weird,” Joel said as the pair got off the bus.

Delilah stayed silent, not knowing what to say to Joel’s comment.

“Not you of course. You’re like the only junior high kid I can stand. The rest are weird,” Joel quickly said once he realized he had inadvertently hurt Delilah’s feelings.

“So Holland’s weird too since she’s in junior high?”

“No, Holland’s weird because she’s Holland. No matter how old she gets she’ll always be weird,” Joel said and Delilah laughed.

The two made it to Delilah’s house and she expected Joel to turn around and head back to his house but instead he followed her up the steps.

“What?” Joel asked as he noticed Delilah giving him a weird look.

“Aren’t you going home?”

“Today’s Friday.”

“Yeah, and...”

“And my family always comes over on Fridays for the weekly dinner with your family.”

“Yeah, I know,” Delilah said, still confused.

“Well it would be pointless to go home and then come back over in a few hours so I figured I could just hang out with you,” Joel shrugged. “If that’s alright with you, I mean.”

“Umm…yeah…of course it is.” Delilah stuttered out as she began blushing.

“Cool,” Joel smiled which made the blush on Delilah’s cheeks grow deeper.

It was then that Delilah faced the fact that she liked her best friend. The only problem was she didn’t know how to tell him.


“Fine,” Delilah sighed. “I might have had a small crush on Joel at one time but that was a long time ago and those feelings are completely gone.”

“Are they?” Laura asked.

“Yes.”

“Whatever you say,” Laura smirked. “So how is Joel?”

“Okay I guess. I mean I haven’t really talked to him in a week or so because I’m kind of mad at him.”

“Why?”

“I don’t know… I found out he and Holland were actually broken up at one point and they kept it from me. It just upset me because we practically tell each other everything.”

“There have been some big things that you’ve kept a secret from him…and Holland. You never told either one of them about your feelings for Joel,” Laura said.

Delilah kept quiet as she mulled over Laura’s words.

“I agree that they shouldn’t have kept that from you,” Laura forged ahead. “I just think that you should give Joel a break. The both of you are going through a tough time and I would hate for something like this to pull you guys apart. I have no clue what you guys would do without each other. You practically know everything about each other.”

“We don’t know everything about each other,” Delilah argued.

“Really? What does Joel do when he’s upset?”

“He plays with his lip ring.”

“What does it mean when he plays with his hair?”

“He’s pissed but doesn’t want anyone to know it so he plays with his hair instead.”

“When you’re upset what does Joel do?”

“He comes over and watches “500 Days of Summer” with me because he knows it makes me feel better when I…” Delilah trailed off before sighing. “Fine we know a lot about each other. So you’re saying I should reach out to him and try to fix this?”

Laura shrugged. “I’m not saying anything. I mean you guys know things about each other that no one else knows and everyone else but you and Joel can see how in love with each other the two of you are but like I said, I'm not going to say anything. What I am going to do is go take a shower though so if you need to make a call or anything you’ll have about 30 minutes or so. After that you can help me with wedding favors.”

Delilah rolled her eyes at Laura’s not so subtle hints as she walked out of the room but knew that she was right - at least about the needing to end the fight with Joel.

Delilah sighed as she picked up the phone and dialed the number she knew by heart. She counted the rings as she nervously waited for him to answer. She had no clue how he was going to react. She hoped he wasn’t too mad at her for storming out and not speaking to him for a week but she couldn’t blame him if he was.

After the third ring she finally heard, “Hello?”

“Hey, it’s me,” Delilah softly said.

“Yeah, I know. I mean I saw it on my caller ID. Listen, Lila, I’m so sorry. You’re right. Holland and I should have told you about the break-up or at least I should have told you after she died,” Joel said.

“It’s fine. I know you thought you were doing the right thing. I’m sorry for overreacting and not listening when you tried to explain.”

“It’s fine. So, we’re good again?” Joel asked with the hope apparent in his voice.

“Yeah, we’re good again,” Delilah chuckled.

“Good, I've really missed you. Well since we’re good again do you want to hang out tonight?”

“No.”

“Oh,” Joel dejectedly said.

“I mean I want to but I can’t,” Delilah hurried to correct herself. “I’m at BYU right now visiting Laura for the weekend. I’ll be back Sunday so we can hang out then.”

“Ok. I’ll come over to your apartment and we can watch “500 Days of Summer.” How does that sound?”

“That sounds perfect.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Outfit

I have to get ready and go but I wanted to quickly post this! They've forgiven each other so do you think they'll finally tell each other their feelings? Also, do you think Joel feels the same as Lila does or is he still hung up on Holland?

Thanks to: DeadRoseCircus, shootingmoons, LongLive;;, and pelican park.