Sequel: Marching On

Running With Lions

Chapter 18

William's new black leather loafers tapped crisply on the marble flooring of Buckingham Palace as he made his way towards the balcony. It was the high balcony that had seen many memorable moments in his family's life, but for right now this is where he would find his baby brother.

He stood in front of the large double doors and pushed the curtain out of his way with his index finger. William saw Harry leaning on the railing gazing out over the Mall far below him.

Harry had been in a funk for weeks. And, according to Gen, Lavin hadn't been quite herself either.

William gripped the cool handle and slowly pulled the door open, stepping out onto the spacious balcony. He replicated Harry's posture and watched Harry. He noticed that Harry saw him from the corner of his eyes.

Harry turned his head towards William. "What?" Harry asked contemptuously.

William smirked and turned from his brother to look at the Mall. "Nothing."

Harry grumbled, also looking away. "I'm sure it's nothing," he replied sarcastically. "You've obviously come here for some reason."

"You're right, actually. I'm here for Sunday dinner," William told him.

Harry snorted unhappily. "Don't be a cheeky git."

William turned so that his back faced the landscape below. "All right, you really want to know why I'm up here?"

"No, but I'm sure you're going to tell me anyway." Harry's agitation was clear.

"Right again."

Harry exhaled, burying his face in his arms. This had always been Harry's tactic when William was to tell him something he wasn't going to like. "If you're going to talk about what happened between Lavin and me at the bar I don't want to hear it."

William inhaled through his nose. "You're still angry?"

Harry stood now and faced William. "Yes. Wouldn't you be if someone did that to you? What if Kate did that?"

"For a short while--"

"I feel as if I can't trust her anymore, Will."

"This has nothing to do with trust, Harry. Lavin did what she did because she loves you and if you can't see that then--"

"What? I'm thick?" Harry interrupted brusquely.

The side of William's mouth twinged into a smile as he nodded. "Exactly."

"Lavin was the reason why Caroline changed!" Harry tugged at his hair. "That's why she became so annoying, started dressing different-"

"Better," William muttered.

Harry eyed him wearily. "She just wasn't herself anymore."

"If Lavin hadn't told Caroline about the changes she would have to make if she agreed to marry you someone would have had to eventually."

"Please don't scold me like a child. I know she would have needed to be informed."

William was very stern now. "You saw Caroline become what she was going to become if you two did get married. She did a complete one-eighty from the person you fell in love with and you didn't love that person. And that's who you would have married. New Caroline not Old Caroline."

Harry looked away from William.

"Put yourself in her shoes, Harry. Would you have done what Lavin did?"

Harry turned away from William and went back to the cool stone railing.

William watched Harry and he was quiet for some time.

After another few minutes Harry looked sideways. "I can't imagine myself interfering in anyone's relationship like that."

William went to his brother, standing beside him. He patted Harry on the back. "Lavin isn't just anyone, Harry."

"I know."

"Then, let me help you picture it," William said. "Remember Tom, the American? Lavin's good friend from university."

"Yes," Harry answered harshly. "Of course, I remember him." His tongue was heavy with jealously.

Lavin dated Tom briefly, roughly eight months right before Harry came back from his tour in the Middle East. Harry was livid which sparked his fervid interest in finding a girlfriend when he finally came home. The result had been Caroline DeLarge.

"Now imagine if Tom didn't move to Boston. Lavin would probably still be with him. He would probably be some wealthy lawyer that could buy her the world if she didn't already have it. And you're expecting their relationship to end...for whatever reason. You're dreaming of the day he's out of the picture so you can be with her again."

He watched Harry begin to nod.

"Then, you're sitting at a bar...pretending to enjoy his company while Lavin is off with Gen or Kate and he tells you that he's thinking of proposing. What do you feel at that exact moment?"

"I would lose it. All rational thought would leave me. I would be thinking of a million things I could do to get her back, to find out if she still loves me."

William kept his smile from Harry. "He's nervous as all hell and he asks you for your advice because he trusts you. What do you do? What do you say to him?"

"What would I say?" Harry repeated to himself. "I would tell him the harsh reality of what he is in for and how he would have to give up his job for royal duties. I would make married life with Lavin sound painstakingly difficult, that only someone born into this life would be able to handle it."

"And you would do it out of love or jealousy?"

"Both."

"What if you were unsuccessful and Tom still very much wanted to marry Lavin?"

"I wouldn't have been able to surrender as easily as Lavin had. I would have gone through greater lengths to get her back." Harry told William. "And that night at Clarence when I asked her to come home with me...I kissed her first. I fully intended on doing that all night. I didn't care about Caroline that night, she wasn't even on mind."

William was impressed. "So, what are you gonna do?"

"I need to tell her I'm sorry for being a twat."
♠ ♠ ♠
Really want to know what you guys think about this one.