Sequel: Be Kind
Status: finished

Walking at Night, Alone

No time, no time for you

Arizona is the most boring place to live, terrible in general. Practically it’s a bunch of old people that are retired and grumpy. The kids in the town sleep, go to school, eat, and get out of town anytime possible. I thank God that I can drive because of that. But it’s that time again, where school starts and the kids have to leave their matching homes early in the morning and come home to stress over homework, gpa, credits, and projects.

Its senior year for me I get dressed in black skinnies, an old Led Zeppelin shirt that I stole from my mother, and a leather jacket before I leave my home that looks like all the other homes on the block and get in my black Jetta to leave to pick up my best friend Roxy. We went to McDonalds and got some sausage biscuits before school. I pull into the lot and notice someone I’ve never seen, I thought I knew everyone except the new freshman and he looked too old to be a freshman.

I felt bad he probably didn’t realize how lame this town was, that is I did feel bad until I saw the group of girls around him. “Wow one cute boy at this school and all the girls go crazy it’s pathetic.” I say to Roxy pulling into a parking space.

“Ashton he looks pretty handsome you’ll probably have a crush soon too.” She joked with me.

“Thanks Roxy, you know I don’t like every cute guy that comes through this town right?”

“Yeah just the ones that are your type, and looking at your ex-boyfriends this kid is the definition of your type.” I hit her in the arm and she winced then grabbing it in pain.

“Well I’m already planning to get back with Kennedy this year.” I smiled at the thought.

“Then why did you two even break up?” she asked as we got out of my car.

“Summer. I was in Los Angeles all summer so I let him be free.” She rolled her eyes as we started walking into the school. We passed by the new boy and he was very cute but right after I saw him I saw Kennedy.

“Hey Ashton, you look great, nice jacket, I love when you wear leather.” He winked with a goofy grin.

“You look good too, and how was your summer?” I was curious to know.

“Good, I missed you though.” I blushed “You didn’t meet any boys in California this summer did you?”

“Not anyone special,” I smiled I missed him

“You don’t even like the new kid?” he asked which made me let out an annoyed sigh.

“Why does everyone think I’ll like him, I don’t even know the kids name.”

“His name is John he moved in next door to me a week ago, that’s all I know but he is your type though.”

“Yeah but you’re my type too.” I smirked at him

“Is that your way of trying to get back with me?” he asked

“We’ll see.” I said walking off towards my homeroom. I was already in the classroom when the bell rang and a got to see the heard of people come in, including the new boy, John. I assumed the new kid was going to ruin one of my favorite classes. He then sat down next to me, of course that would happen.

“Hello my name is Ashton, you’re new here right?” I said trying to be friendly.

“Yeah I’m John O are you one of those girls who so obviously are crushing on me as well?” I scoffed at his comment it made me sick.

“Who do you think you are Brad fucking Pitt? Not every girl at this school is going to like you.” He was already making me mad.

“Geez I’m sorry I didn’t mean to offend you, I was just getting annoyed with all these girls wanting to ‘help me to class’ and whatnot. You know how it feels right I mean you’re gorgeous.” I blushed as he flirted.

“Yeah I’m sure it sucks having every girl in school like you.” I said trying to still hold my ground

“Not all of the girls, but it would be nice if the prettiest girl in school liked me.” He said playing with the studs on my collar. I almost fell to mush but I needed to stand my ground.

“Ugh I can’t stand you.” I said pushing his arm down and turning away.

“After homeroom as I was walking to my business math class Kennedy stopped me in the hall. “Hey my band has practice tonight you want to come?” he asked

“Kennedy you know I don’t like your bands music I only put up with it for you.” I said

“Well we kind of lost our singer, we need someone to fill in until we can find someone and I offered you.” His smile was adorable.

“For you I will” I smiled and he kissed me on the cheek before walking away. I then walked into my math class to see John sitting there when he saw me walk in he smirked. I sat down on the other side of the room and my teacher walked in to tell us we were going to do an introduction to the class.

My introduction was simple “My name is Ashton Middlen, I’m 18 my hobbies are singing and writing.” As I sat down John then stood up and started his

“I’m John O’Callaghan, John O for short I’m 18 and I like to sing and write songs.” He said winking at me before sitting back down. He was either messing with me or we actually had something in common.

The class seemed longer than ever since my teacher put us in groups to work on simple math problems and once we were done we were allowed to talk. Too bad she put me in a group with John, two annoying girls who were flirting with John, and an ex from junior high so I wouldn’t be talking to anyone.

When class was over and I started walking away I felt someone tap me on the shoulder. “Why don’t you want to talk to me?” John asked as I turned around.

“You’re smug and conceited why should I want to talk to you?”

“I don’t know I thought we could be friends.” He looked so sad I almost felt bad but I quickly replied with.

“Sorry John I don’t think it’s going to happen.” I had two more periods John free and then it was lunch time. I sat with Garrett, Roxy, and Kennedy. John was walking around looking for somewhere to sit and Kennedy waved him over.

“Want to sit with us?” he offered as I glared.

“I’m not sure everyone would want me here.” John said frowning.

“Nonsense we love new people” I rolled my eyes “Usually we go off campus but you can’t the first day.”

“Why would you want to sit with us when you could sit with those girls who love you?” Kennedy asked curiously.

“Because none of them are friends you are the only people I know that treat me like friends but I mean Ashton doesn’t seem to like me.”

“How do you know Ashton? And why would you think she hates you?” Kennedy asked.

“He’s in two of my classes, oh and John I don’t hate you, I don’t hate anyone I just don’t like your attitude.” I said upset “Especially when you think every girl likes you can you be more conceited? And I don’t like you, I like Kennedy.” I grabbed Kennedy and kissed him, Kennedy was beyond shocked.

“I’ll see you later Kenny I can’t sit here anymore.” I said getting up and I went straight to my counselors office to try and get my classes changed so I wasn’t with John. My counselor looked it over but said it was impossible.

When lunch was over I had choir, I was in the highest choir called Madrigals. To be in this choir you have to audition and be chosen so it was difficult to get in. It mostly consisted of seniors and the lucky lower classmen. It was easily my favorite class but when I walked into the room I saw John.

“Are you kidding me!?” I said loudly

“Talking about me?” John asked.

“Yes! How did you get in Madrigals?”

“I was in it at my old school so I came down here to test my voice; she said I should be in here so that’s how. Maybe It’s fate and you should just try to be my friend instead of just being rude to me. I swear I won’t do anything stupid we could at least try to be friends.

“Or we cannot, sorry John but you’re not the kind of friend I like to have.” He groaned.

“ugh can’t you just try I could surprise you.” He pleaded.

“Fine I guess I could try but don’t think we are automatically besties.” He nodded as the choir teacher came into the room from her office; she explained that today we would all get to know each other and that there would be no singing. She told us to choose a partner and of course John chose me automatically.

She told us to ask each other everything and that we would be tested on it.I had to do this every year so I was used to it so I began the getting to know you process. “Maybe we can talk about what we have in common… if we have anything in common.” I looked at my leather and classic rock tee and then over to his polo shirt and khakis. “Uhm what’s your favorite band?”

“Well there is no way I can choose one but a few are: The Doors, Taking Back Sunday, and Ryan Adams are just a few.” I almost had a heart attack at his choices,

“Seriously? Those are three of my top 10 so maybe we do have something in common.” I smiled we talked about where he moved from, his past, and how his girlfriend of 3 years broke up with him. I actually enjoyed talking to him which was quite a surprise. We got our quiz, first we filled out the front side about ourselves and the backside about our partners and we would get the results the next day after she graded them. I felt bad for John though because we barely talked about me.

As I walked out of class John grabbed my wrist and pulled me back towards him. “See it isn’t that bad getting to know me.” He said then walked away. I had one more class and then after school I drove over to Kennedy’s house. I didn’t see Kennedy’s car in the driveway so I went to the door and his mom answered. His mom and I started talking when Kennedy walked up.

“Ashton what are you doing hanging out with my mom?”

“Kennedy your mom is like my second mom I love her so that’s what I’m doing hanging out with her, we had a lot to catch up on.”

“Yeah but I’d rather you hang out with me.” He said with a smirk on his face as his mom slapped his shoulder.

“I like hanging out with you too Kennedy but don’t get too jealous of your mom. When does practice start?”

We sat in the garage as he played guitar and I sang so I could get used to the songs somewhat. The rest of the band got there at six and we started practice. After we got through one song at practice John walked into the garage.

“What’s all the noise about?” he asked curiously as he looked at everyone and then smiled at me.

“Band practice you can watch if you want we always love to have an audience.” He sat down on the couch to listen as we started playing some song Kennedy and Garrett wrote together.

“So this is just a guess but is Ashton filling in? and why?”

“We lost our lead singer but we still wanted to practice with a singer so she’s taking over until we can find someone new.” Kennedy explained

“Well I’m a singer if you want I could try a song out for you guys.” He said

“Try out a few songs I want to hear you sing.” I answered for Kennedy I was still curious as to how he was in Madrigals. We switched positions and h began a song. He wasn’t used to the songs so I didn’t expect much so was surprised when it sounded great. When the song was over I clapped like a fool.

“I think you guys found your new singer.” I said excitedly

“What happened to you hating this band?” Kennedy questioned

“John’s voice is amazing it makes the band you have to let him be your singer.” I guess you can say I was awestruck.

“Or someone has a crush on johnnypoo.” Pat said

“Be quiet she doesn’t like me, she made that very clear were just friends.” I was amazed that he stood up for me.

“Practice is over now it’ll be eleven in a few minutes and you all have school tomorrow so head home.” Kennedy’s mom said poking her head in the garage.

“Goodnight Kennedy nice seeing you again.” I said kissing him on the cheek once everyone dispersed and then walking out of the garage as he closed it behind me I began walking in the darkness to my car.

“Hey thanks for actually trying to be my friend today.” I heard from the house next to Kennedy’s I looked behind me to see John sitting on his porch so I walked over to him.

“I’m sorry I was mean to you it’s just I hate conceited and cocky people and I pinned you as that I was wrong and I think I didn’t want you to be a good guy.” I apologized

“I’m not a good guy I’m just good at playing a role.” He said

“I don’t believe that I think you’re a good guy.” He shook his head furiously

“Not as good as Kennedy, trust me don’t get involved with me.”

“What makes you think I’d want to get involved with you just because you’re a good guy in my book?”

“You probably don’t which is smart, but I can’t promise anything.”

“What does that mean?” he was being so vague

“It’s almost eleven you might want to go now.” He said I was so confused with this kid.
♠ ♠ ♠
Title Credit: No Time - The Monkees
and thank you for reading this it would be lovely if you commented so I know whether or not to keep posting.
and again thank you for your time.