Walking in Shadows

When You Pull Me Close

“I still can’t believe that you enrolled in Hogwarts three weeks before the break,” Michael snickered, tapping his wand on the desk lightly.

“I just want to spend as much time here as I can,” I said quietly, watching the small white sparks fly out of the end of Michael’s wand, “even if we only have one more day before everyone leaves.”

“Are you staying here over winter break?”

I nodded.

“You’ll have plenty of fun exploring, won’t you?”

“Plenty,” I chuckled, “Maybe I can finally bet you to class.”

A large mass of Slytherins strutted into the room – most with sneers covering their faces. Crabbe and Pansy were there, Blaise as well. But no Draco.

“Good morning class,” Professor Binns greeted, floating through the chalk board. He began to babble – half about the actual curriculum, and half random gibberish about his life at the time. It was highly doubtful that what he ate for breakfast on the day of the invention of the snitch, which consisted of French toast and bacon, would be on the test.

I felt the only empty seat next to me slide and a warm body take a seat.

“Nice of you to finally join us Mr. Malfoy,” Professor Binns growled before he continued on about his first experience watching the first professional game of quidditch. I saw a small paper slide onto my desk, neat handwriting etched on to the yellowed paper.

‘Miss anything important?’

I picked up my quill and replied, ‘Not unless you count the invention of the snitch important.’ I slid the parchment over to the blonde.

‘Really? Just a typical boring class?’

‘Yes. May I ask why you’re late?’

I saw Draco just stared bright-eyed at the line I had written from the corner of my eye.

‘I took a detour to the washroom.’

‘Lovely.’

We let the conversation completely drop.

[Breath]

“Now then, let’s do something fun before the last day of term!” Professor Babbling smiled, swishing her wand and the chalk floated up to the board, “Turn to your partner at your bench and interview them. Name and age. Birthplace and current residence. House and hobbies.”

“Hi, I’m sorry I haven’t introduced myself sooner. I’m Hermione Granger.” The brunette beside me smiled, writing name on her parchment, “And I’m seventeen.”

“I’m Lilianna Woods,” I smiled back, writing her name and age down in runes, “and I’m only fifteen.”

“When’s your birthday?” Hermione asked shocked.

“December twenty-first.” I said biting my lip, “I skipped a year as well.”

“You’re very clever, aren’t you?” She smiled, “But I don’t think I’ve seen you around here before.”

“I just transferred in not to long ago. I used to be home schooled.” I explained, “I was born in London, but now I live in Dublin.”

“I was born in London as well, but we live in Cambridgeshire now.” Hermione smiled, “My address is 416 Florence way – and it’s a nice white house with blue trim.”

“That sounds lovely. You’ll have to show my some pictures sometime! I live in apartment twenty-one on Dundrum.”

“My hobbies are studying and anything reading.”

“I like studying as well, but I like learning about medical procedures and that sort most.”

“I’m guessing you want to work as a healer after Hogwarts?”

“Probably, although I’m still undecided.”

“Are you going home for the break?” Hermione asked, translating what I had said into runes.

I shook my head, “No, I’m staying.”

“But you’ll miss your birthday and Christmas with your family,” Hermione frowned.

“Just making up for lost time I guess.”

[Breath]

“I’ll be sure to owl you everyday so you don’t get lonely,” Michael chuckled, giving me a one armed hug.

“You better keep that promise,” I winked, pulling away from him slowly.

“We all know he will,” Cho said, picking up her suitcases, “We better hurry though. The train’ll be leaving soon.”

“You’ll write often, won’t you?” I inquired, holding one of Cho’s suitcases for her.

“Would you even doubt that I won’t be sending one out every hour, on the hour?” She chortled, reaching out her hand for the bag.

“That may be just a tad much Cho,” I smiled, handing her the bag.

“We’ll see you in two weeks – don’t forget about us in the mean time,” Michael joked, lifting his trunk onto the stairwell of the train.

“All aboard the Hogwarts Express!” Hagrid yelled over the crowd, ringing a large over sized bell, “Hurry up now you two. And Lilianna, I give all the seer-offers a ride back up to the castle.” I nodded.

“See you soon,” Michael smirked, leaning down and kissing me on the forehead.

“Better be,” I smiled, giving Cho a good bye hug, “Have a happy holiday you two.”

The hundred of students, adorned in their different coloured attire boarded the train in droves. I waved to everyone on the train with the dozen or so students who were staying behind.

“You’re not going home Woods?” A deep voice asked from my right. I quickly spun my head to see the speaker, and as the small crowd – if you could even call it that – dispersed, I saw the blonde hair. The pale skin. And the black pressed suit of Draco Malfoy.

I nodded, “I wanted to stay and look around. Get to see the school I haven’t seen until three weeks ago.”

Draco shoved his hands in his pockets, “I can show you around if you’d like.”

I smiled, “That’d be great! Thanks so much Draco.”

“Anyway, let’s head back up to the castle. We don’t want to be left behind.” He shrugged, walking ahead of me. I followed after him, biting my lip as I followed him. There was a single cart waiting on the path up to the school. Two Thresterals were chained to the cart, waiting for us to get in. Draco took only a few steps into the cart, while I had to be careful and watch my feet. Taking each step slowly. “Are you always this slow?”

“Yeah, I like to take things slow.” I sighed. I did not actually like taking things slow. I had to because of how badly my lungs were damaged. We sat in absolute silence as we rode up to the almost empty school. Just fifteen students and the faculty in such a large castle. Eerie.