The Quiet

Spy

I hadn’t made it inside. I had stopped to tie my shoe, hidden from view, and when I looked up, Lena had her hands all over Clay. She practically groped him on the grass, and he seemed to be enjoyed it too much.

But then I heard their hushed, aggravated tones, and Lena raised her hand. When the sound echoed, I winced. I ducked back into the school before I could see Clay’s reaction, but I know that he was probably pissed.

Before I made it to English, my cell phone vibrated in my pocket. I took it out and flipped it open.

NEW MESSAGE: CLAY

Wanna get out of here? Suddenly I’m not in the best mood to learn.

I considered before texting him back. It didn’t take long for me to come to a decision.

Sure. I’ll meet you in the lobby.

Five minutes. He’d be there in five minutes. Was that enough time to change my mind? I wasn’t sure. But before I decided on anything, he stood beside me. There was a slight discoloration on his cheek already, from where Lena hit him, but he kept quiet about it.

“When did you become a spy?” he asked, his lips curled into a smile. “I saw you try to sneak away before. Don’t worry; she didn’t hurt me too bad.”

I frowned, reached a hand up and touched his cheek. “She shouldn’t have hit you. What did you even say to her?”

Clay scratched the back of his neck. “I told her she was mental.”

I laughed. “That was awful.”

“Yeah, well, it got her off my back and out of my pants.” That time he didn’t smile, and it took me a moment to realize he was serious.

I don’t say anything as we walked outside and into the parking lot. He stood by his car, a Black Honda Accord, and smirked at me.

“Get in,” he told me.

“Why? I have my own car.”

“Get in,” he repeated.

I walked around him and opened the passenger door. I slide in and looked around at all the coffee cups and fast food wrappers on the floor. When Clay got in and started the car, I watched my own car shrink into the distance as we drove away.