Timeless

Alana

I watched silently as Darien made us omelettes thinking about the kiss. It had been hard to pull away, nothing in my life ever felt so right, but I did. So I could tell him how I felt. I could tell he was happy, he didn’t do anything except smile now when he looked at me.

Last night when I came over I locked myself in the bedroom and thought about every dream I ever had about him. I knew now why I had felt so strongly about him so fast. I push off of the counter I had been leaning on and walk over to him wrapping my arms around his waist leaning my cheek against his back.

“I remember our first date.” I sighed happily. His muscles moved as he flipped over the food.

“Yeah?” I nodded against his back. “I thought about recreating it the other day but I don’t think it would have worked out as well.”

“Probably not,” I admitted, magically lighting up a floating plateau would have sent me running. “It’s a good thing you decided to play it one safe.” His back shook as he laughed. “I’m really happy you came for me. I always knew something in my life was missing, I just never knew it was you.” I knew that sounded really cheesy but I couldn’t take it back. Or reword that to sound better than it had.

Darien moved a bit not saying anything. He leaned over towards the stove. I let go and hearing the click realized he was turning off the burner. He turned around and took my head in his hands. “Alana, you are my life. I wouldn’t have given up until I found you.” He kissed my forehead and pulled back looking into my eyes. “Luckily it only took 20 years.”

“Huh?” I raised a brow. I knew we were from somewhere else, that I had lived before. It just didn’t hit, like really me until now. “How did you find me?” He let go of me and turned back to the stove grabbing the two plates and walked into the living room. I followed and sat beside him on the incredibly comfortable couch.

“You and I are immortal.” Ha, right. He looked like he was serious. “Well, in a way. We stop aging at 25. We can be killed, as almost happened in your dream last night.” The image of Darien bleeding profusely flashed through my mind but I quickly pushed it out. “Or we can choose to move on once we feel our time is done, as your parents did, and be reborn here to live one final life here. Those with powers, you and I, can also sacrifice ourselves. This is what you did.” How noble of me. “We were under attack and you essentially dissipated and used your energy to enter the attacking soldiers and kill them.” He sounded as if he were on the verge of tears.

“Your parents, and then you were eventually reborn here.” He continued. “I on the other hand entered, so to speak, this world in an effort to find you. We can sense the energy of those we know that are now here. It makes it easier for us to find each other so we aren’t alone. The memories come back, as you know. That’s how I found you. I started out 20 years ago with an old servant and his wife who pointed me towards distant cousins of mine, who pointed me to someone else and so on.”

“So when I go back I’m eventually going to die?” He would be left alone again, but this time unable to find me.

“No, you are the… loophole for lack of a better term. If you sacrifice yourself, you come back. You don’t move on for the final life until you choose to.” I was surprised by how well I was taking this. How it somehow all seemed to make sense, like my brain knew the information, it just couldn’t find it. “Are you ok?” I nodded and looked down at my now empty plate not realizing I had completely consumed the entire omelette.

“Yeah.” I nodded before getting up and going into the kitchen to put my plate in the sink. “When do we go back?” I asked. I listened as he walked into the kitchen he came up behind me and put his plate in the sink before wrapping his arms around my waist.

“It won’t be for awhile, you need all of your memories beforehand.” He rested his chin on top of my head. “Which means we do need to talk about what you’ve dreamt about.” I sighed and leaned back against him.

“This could take awhile.”

“You do realize we have all the time in the world?” He chuckled.

“Yes.” I turned to face him. “I remember a lot about you.” He smiled and kissed the top of my head. Without heels I came up to his shoulders. Hopefully my mom packed a few pairs of those, she knew I hated being shorter than most people. I needed the few extra inches.

“And what is it about me that you remember?”

“Well,” I pulled myself out of his grasp and walked back over to sit on the couch, “I remember when I first met you. You were a horrible little boy. You kept picking on me.” He laughed and sat beside me, I leaned into his side breathing in his scent.

“You weren’t the sweetest child either if I remember correctly.” This was true, he wouldn’t stop messing with me so I had pushed him into a very large puddle of mud. Then I strategically placed very thin layers of ice in his path so he would slip and fall.

“You deserved it.” He laughed again. “I also remember they day you came over and we went on a walk through the gardens together. That was when we really got to know each other and I started thinking you weren’t so bad.”

“That was also the day I fell in love with you.” He said.

“Really?” I looked up at him and he nodded.

“It was impossible not to.” Feeling the blush start to spread across my cheeks I looked back down resting my head against his chest.

“There was a ball, I’m pretty sure it was my birthday, and you brought mea bracelet. One you had made yourself, and then wouldn’t let anyone else dance with me the whole night. That was when I started to develop feelings for you.”

“Well, being able to heat things with your bare hands does have certain advantages. It does certainly help with jewelry making.” I looked down at my hand at the rings I was wearing.

“You made these didn’t you?” He grabbed my left hand in his gently brushing his thumb across the rings.

“Yes.”

“As I already told you I remember our first date, along with quite a few others, and the night I fell in love with you.”

“When was this? You never did tell me.”

“We were in the library and I was up on the ladder trying to reach book, my shoe caught on the dress, I thought I was going to fall since I hadn’t known you were in the room let alone in our city, and you caught me.”

“That was also the first time I kissed you.” He murmured.

“That’s when I knew.” I laced my fingers through his sighing happily. “Then shortly after our parents told us we were to marry each other. And while I was through the roof about spending the rest of my life with you I wasn’t sure you were.”

“I most definitely was.”

“Well I know this now.” I looked down at the engagement ring, “Saturday night I dreamt about when you proposed. It seems the only thing I don’t actually remember about us is the actual wedding ceremony.”

“Really?” He sounded slightly disappointed, “Wait, does that mean you remember the wedding night?” I kept my face down so he wouldn’t see me blushing.

“I had a very vivid series of dreams about you the other night.” He let go of my hand and worked his arms under my legs, the other already around my waist and he stood up cradling me in his arms.

“Well then,” He said as he began walking towards the stairs, “you’re just going to have to show me what you remember.”

Image


I stretched out beside him wrapped up in the sheets slightly overwhelmed by how much came flooding back. How much I could remember. He turned to face me propping his head up on his elbow.

“Are you ok?” I could tell he was worried at my silence.

“Yeah, it’s just like what we just did unlocked a lot of memories.”

“Oh?” I turned my head to face him and nodded.

“It wasn’t until after, but still there were a lot. I have a sister.” If I had forgotten about Adriana then what else have I yet to remember? “We don’t have any children do we?”

“No.”

“Nien.” I whispered and sat up. “Please tell me he’s still alive. That he’s ok.” Nien was my guardian, a large white wolf like creature. He was born of the wind the same day I was, we had never been separated. I could talk to him through telepathy just as anyone else could.

“Alana,” Darien said softly, “Nien and Adriana are perfectly fine. Adriana has taken our place temporarily until we come back and Nien is looking out for her.” He wrapped an arm around me and pulled me closer to him. He kissed me softly and pulled away slowly.

“Now, let’s see what else we can get you to remember.” He said before rolling on top of me.