Status: Awesome as ***.

Blue Sunflowers

Oxygen

Image
“You’ve got to be fucking kidding me.” Cookie said in disbelief as I flipped through one of those shit tabloids.

I sat on the counter of the bookstore watching Mikey try and figure out how to work the new coffee machine his mother had bought him. She said it was about damn time he got one and stopped using Gee’s old one.

I put down the magazine, an eyebrow in my outgrown bangs, “Since when do I kid, Rosario?”

She knew I was serious then, “B-but why?” she squinted.

I shrugged, having gotten over it (for the most part) already, “Apparently, they wanna pretend they give half a shit and come to graduation and Fluff’s and Al’s broom-jumpin.”

She laughed, “When are they landing?”

“Next week”, I grinned. “They wanted to come earlier, but all that diplomacy my sister’s had shoved up her ass should be put to good use, don’t you think, Cooks?”

She rolled her eyes and Mikey shook his head, though I didn’t know if it was with the coffee maker or my remarks.

“What are you gonna do about Frank, then?” she asked.

I furrowed my eyebrows, “What do you mean? They’re knowing if that’s what you’re asking.” I scoffed, “I’m not ashamed of him or myself at all.”

She giggled, “Just wait till they see him and you, pink hair, tattoos, piercings.” She threw her hands up and I couldn’t help but join in on her laughter.
-----
I adjusted my pencil skirt and wiggled my toes around in the confines of my heels. I’d been “gifted” the opportunity to pick my parents up from the airport with Frank.

My sister’s an asshole.

On the outside, all this didn’t phase me, but on the inside I was dying a little. Frank had told me a million and three times that I should relax and not let them get to me. They never got to me, though. They were by far, unaware of my hatred of them and my younger sister, Sophia.
I took a deep breath and forgot how to breathe out till I glanced at Frank. That said so much; Frank helped me breathe, he was my air. My fucking oxygen.

Jesus, we sound more like a cheesy rom-com every day. Not that I’m complaining, though.
He was leaning against the huge glass windows that let you watch the planes take off and arrive. To anyone else, it would’ve been absolutely fascinating. I’d grown up around planes; my father was in the Air Force. Even though every once in a while, I’d look up and see those big, fat mechanical birds and wonder.

I’m always wondering. There’s no point in wondering if you’ll never get answers, or at least, that what I’ve been told.

He turned and caught me admiring him and smirked. I smiled and walked over to him. He pulled me into his arms and kissed me. It felt weird without our rigs, but Frank insisted that he didn’t wanna die just yet. It was also his genius idea to “dress up”.

I rested my head on his shoulder and leaned against him, “What time are they supposed to land again?” he asked.

“6:35.”

He checked his watch, “It’s already 6:45.”

“Maybe they died.” I shrugged and he nudged me.

“Don’t say that, they’re your fucking parents.”

“Barely; parents care and love.”

Before he could retaliate, a female voice rang out in the practically deserted airport, “American Airlines Flight 403 has landed.”

“Fuck you, Frank.” I narrowed my eyes at him and got off of him, “You make bad things happen.”

He giggled at my childishness and took my hand, leading me off to wherever we were supposed to go.

We wandered around, looking at the signs and headings till we found the one with ‘American Airlines’ printed on it. I tore my eyes away and immediately zoned in on the three humans I’d hoped I’d never have to contact till I was rich and famous and could rub it in their faces.

My breath hitched and Frank noticed them. He waved his hand, dragging me in their direction. They looked like your typical American tourists. Save for the fact that they were naturalized citizens, not tourists, and totally not typical.

I could see my dad look at Frank, with your ordinary ‘what the fuck?’ look, till he saw me attached to Frank. It only intensified and I could’ve sworn he twitched.

My mother saw and came running towards us, with the devil spawn in tow. Frank squeezed my hand and let go.

“Carolina!” she burst what little was left of my eardrums and put her hands on either side of my face, slobbering me with kisses. I tried my best to smile and it faded when I laid my eyes on my monstrosity of a younger sibling. “Hi.” I couldn’t stop my lip from curling, but the child’s an idiot. Her round face formed an ear-to-ear grin and she hugged me. I pushed her away before my parents could force me to return the hug.

“Who’s this?” my mother asked in reference to Frank. “Is this Gerard? My god, how you’ve changed!” She pulled him into a bone-crushing hug, and his eyes bugged out.

“Mom.” She didn’t hear me.

“Mom.” She ignored me.

“Mother!” she finally let him breathe and turned to face me angrily.

“You can Gee back when I’m done talking to him; I haven’t seen him in years.”

“That’s Frank, not Gerard.”

She immediately let him go and I knew Frank remembered why they were so hated. “Oh.”

Stupid bitch.

My dad finally caught up to them, “Carol.” He hugged me and kissed my cheek. “Frank.” He turned to face him and shook his hand, but I could see him analyzing Frank already. As stupid as the other two were, my father was far from it.

“Hi, Mr. and Mrs. Saco.” I could see he wanted to die, “And Sophie.” He managed to choke out, but it flew over the moron’s head.

My mother nodded curtly and I wanted to slap her but said instead, “Okay so, let’s go home. Fluffy’s waiting.”

They smiled and I smiled back, making a face when I turned to Frank instead of them. We walked out of the airport and stuffed their shit in the trunk of my car. I went to go sit in the driver’s seat and my mother squealed, “You’re driving?!”

I turned, horrified, “Yes?”

“I didn’t know you’d gotten your license!”

I chose to bite my tongue and refrain from telling her that she’d never cared, period.

“It’s recent.”

Frank climbed in next to me, still in shock after having to fucking argue with my dad to help him with the luggage.

“I’m hungry” Sophia shouted.

“I have to use the bathroom.” My mother proudly announced.

My father just glared at me in the rearview window and I sighed.

Fuck.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments and I'll marry you. Sorry I'm not much. :)