‹ Prequel: Save the Day
Status: Updating as fast as I can :)

I Can Still Be Your Superman

Chapter 25

The days before Cameron left for his tour rehearsals blurred together. Almost every day there was something different to do – fittings for tour wardrobe, final touches on the album design and the CD itself, stage design, shooting the music video for the single – the list went on. I felt like the only time I slowed down was when I slept and when I ate.

And with all this running around, I barely had any time (or energy) to talk to Cameron, let alone see him. When I did talk to him though, he always knew what to say to make me feel better. He understood how stressed I was about the CD and everything and he knew what to say to get my mind off it. He was great that way.

The one day that I made sure that I wasn’t doing anything for tour or the CD was the day before Cameron left. I couldn’t let him leave without seeing him one more time. We were supposed to go to the beach and just relax alone before we went back to his place to hang out with Zach and Michael. Problem was: he was late by about a half hour.

“Hey it’s Cameron, you know what to do.” His voicemail message rang in my ear before the universal beep.

“Hey Cam, it’s me. I’m just wonder where you are. Call me back when you can.” I said quickly before I hung up, sighing as I collapsed back onto the couch in the living room.

“He didn’t answer?” Uncle John asked, peeking over the top of his newspaper at my sullen form.

I shook my head. “Nope, and I have no idea where he could be.”

“How late is he at this point?”

“He is…” I glanced at the clock on the cable box, “Thirty-seven minutes late. He was supposed to pick me up at one.”

“Curious,”

I looked over at Uncle John, “What do you mean?”

“Oh nothing,” He said quickly. “It’s just curious that the one day he’s late is the day before he leaves for three months. That’s all.”

“It’s more weird than curious.” I admitted. Like Uncle John said, Cameron was never late before today and it made me nervous. I pulled myself off the couch and stood. “I’m going to wait outside; I’ll tell you when I’m leaving.”

“Sounds good,” He said, nodding and continued to read the paper.

I grabbed my beach bag that I left on the stairs as I walked to the front door. Slipping on my flip flops, I waited outside and sat on the top step on the porch. Twisting my phone in my hands, I watched the cars pass the house as I waited for my phone to ring or his car to pull up to the curb.

My mind was running rapid. Why was Cameron so late? What if something happened? What if he got hurt? Why wasn’t he answering his phone? Where was he?

I waited on the porch for twenty minutes before I began to relax as his car pulled up in front of the house. I smiled, my worries fading away as Cameron ran up to me.

“OhmyGod Morgan, I am so sorry I’m late. Our meeting about the whole Nathan thing ran so late and I couldn’t get out to call or text you.”

“It’s okay,” I said wrapping my arms around his neck, pulling him into a hug. “I’m just glad you’re okay. You had me worried there for a little.”

Cameron buried his head in my neck. “I know, I’m so sorry. But I’m all ready to go, you?”

I released my grip from his neck and started walking backwards. “Yeah, I just have to tell my uncle I’m leaving.” I said with a smile.

Yelling into the house, I let Uncle John know and rejoined Cameron on the sidewalk quickly. Without wasting any more time, we were on the road.

***

“I’m going to miss this.” Cameron said, running his hand up and down my arm and pulled me closer to him on the bed.

I sighed and nuzzled into his side. “I know me too. But we’ll see each other again before you know it. And we’ll do what we did while you were on tour before – talk every day, text all the time – only this time I’ll be tired too.”

Cameron’s body shook under me as he let a small laugh escape before his sullen tone returned. “Promise me you won’t do anything stupid.”

I twisted under his arm and placed my chin on his chest, looking up at up. “What do you mean?”

He shook his head and ran his fingers through his hair. “Never mind, forget I said anything.”

I scoffed and sat up, crossing my arms.

He pushed himself up and leaned against his headboard. “I just don’t want you to take it the wrong way.”

“Take what the wrong way!? Cameron, just tell me.” I yelled, getting aggravated. I didn’t understand why he wasn’t just saying what he wanted to say. Nothing has stopped him before.

He stared at me for a moment, studying my face, before he spoke. “Just… just don’t get wrapped up in Nick while you’re on tour. I don’t want to see you get hurt and I don’t want to lose me.” Cameron said softly.

My anger faded and my harsh gaze melted away. I scooted closer to him and grabbed one of his hands between mine. “Cameron, you have nothing to worry about. I promise.”

“I’m always worried about you.” He said; his other hand rose to my cheek as his thumb stroked my cheek. “There’s something in your eyes that makes you seem so fragile. I worry that one day you’ll just break and I won’t be there when you do.”

“I’m not as fragile as you think I am.” I whispered.

He shook his head. “You are. The fact that you think you’re not makes me even more nervous.” He pulled his other hand out from my grasp and placed it on my other cheek, cupping my face. “I love you Morgan, and I don’t want you to shatter without me to be there to help pick up the pieces.”

I stared into his blue-green eyes and saw that he was being completely serious. He was genuinely worried that, one day, I was going to fall apart. But that infuriated me. I hated when people saw me as a porcelain doll – one fall and I’ll break into hundreds of pieces. I hated that he felt the need to walk on egg-shells in worry and fear of the day when that happens. I’ve lasted this long, I’m fine.

But I didn’t say any of that to Cameron. I kept my anger inside my mind and kept the soft expression on my face, placing one of my hands on top of his as I leaned into his palm. “I’ll be fine. Nothing’s going to happen.”

He hesitated a moment before he nodded, dropping his hands from my face. “I have something for you.” He said and bent down, grabbing something from under his bed. “It’s not a mix CD or anything, but I think you’ll like it.” He said, a smile tugging at his lips and handed me the box.

I eyed him suspiciously before lifting the lid off the box, a wide smile appearing on my face as I looked into it. “You’re giving me your sweater from high school.” I said laughing.

“Yep, it’s my favorite too. It’s a little worn out, but super comfortable. Why don’t you try it on?” He suggested.

I nodded and began lifting it out of the box. In between the sweater, where it was folded, sat a black velvet box. I glanced up quickly before my eyes returned to the second box and lifted it out. I opened the lid and revealed what was inside. It was a simple silver necklace with a quarter note pendant hanging from the center.

“Do you like it?” Cameron asked, his voice rising in curiosity.

I looked up at him and beamed. “It’s beautiful. I love it.”

He smiled at me and took the box from my hands. He took the necklace out and ordered me to turn around. I felt the cold metal hit my chest as he closed the clasp around my chest.

My hand fluttered up to the pendant and turned back to Cameron. “Thank you.” I said genuinely.

“You’re welcome. I thought since you gave me the CD to remember you, I’d give you something to remember me. You can use the sweater if you miss the feel of my arms wrapped around you and the necklace will keep me close to your heart.”

“Has anyone told you how amazing you are?”

A smirk began to spread across his face, “Maybe once or twice.”

I rolled my eyes, pushing him playfully in the shoulder. “Ego much?” I said and leaned in and placed a quick kiss on his lips. “Thank you again.” I said softly.

He grabbed my hand and pulled me closer to him, his arm wrapping around my waist. A sultry look spread quickly across his face before capturing my lips with his, not letting me go. Letting the boxes slip to my side, I wrapped myself around Cameron as my head hit the pillows behind me, and I let my body take control just for this one night.
♠ ♠ ♠
As promised, here is the next chapter. I hope it will make up for my complete lack of updating recently, especially with that ending (if you catch my drift). ;)
I did plan on the ending be a little more... graphic, but I really didn't want to change the rating for one scene. So, I do apologize if it cut off a little too soon and abruptly.

So... what do you think? :P

Comment/Subscribe
Love you guys so much. :D

Peace.Love.Write. -Jill =]