No More Room To Breathe

Chapter 8

******************Maika's POV***************

I was on my way to Marilyn's. I had stopped by the record store and asked her boss where she lived. It only took a few white lies to get her address. I suppose the newspaper sitting on the counter in front of him helped a bit...
I ran up the flight of stairs to her apartment at top speed, knocking on the door as I reached it.

"Marilyn? Please...it's Maika. Can I come in?"

I heard some shuffling and a deadbolt sliding free. The door swung open. Marilyn stood there with red-rimmed eyes. I immediately wrapped my arms around her as she began to sob.

"I'm so sorry....I know you've been through a lot and would rather be alone, b-"

"N-No it's fine," she hiccuped. "I'm glad you're here....but how do you know where I live?"

"Well I stopped by the store....and your boss had seen the paper..."

"Oh..," she murmured quietly.

I closed the door behind us and walked her over to the couch.

"I know we don't really know each other and you might not want to because of what's happened....but....uhhhh... you could stay at my place?" I finished lamely.

She turned to look at me. I watched her think as she stared. More tears began to well up at the corners of her eyes.
"Please don't cry, Marilyn...."

"Thanks, Maika," she answered, tears spilling over. "I haven't met anybody like you in a while...."

She reached her lips up to mine, her hands going to my hair. I felt like my entire body was on fire just from that one kiss. Our first kiss. We pulled apart, breathing heavily, and just watched each other for a while, feeling the same thing.
Marilyn got up to go pack a few things, as I watched her from the couch with a stupid smile on my face. An undescribable feeling came over me....

I think it was love.