Coming Alive in August

Always Awkward

I relax on my couch waiting for Kaitlin to finish up getting dressed. I look down at myself making sure I look good enough for going to a club. A colorful stripped skirt, cut up gray FBR shirts, a brown woven headband and brown wingtips. I think I look fine, why does it even matter? It's not like I am trying to impress anyone. I am only going to the club because Kai has never been and she has always wanted to go. I will have fun tonight!

The sound of a door opening sounds from the end of the hall. Kai comes out wearing gray tights, black combat boots and a black lace dress. She smiles at me and spins in a circle. "Am I over dressed?" she asks stepping closer to me. I get up from the couch and shake my head.

"You look nice. I feel under dressed," I shrug looking down at myself again.

"I love your outfit. Its really cute. Lets go and have some fun at Pete Wentz's club," she smirks and dances around a little bit.

I roll my eyes laughing and loop my arm with her's. I lean her out of my apartment and to my car. We waited till the sun was setting to go out. I've been to clubs before and I have only been when it was dark out. I am in a way already regretting this night. I will just make it awkward for Kaitlin and probably the worst night at a club for her. She can be just as awkward as me and is very quiet but I want her to just have fun tonight.

There is a long line outside of the entrance when we arrive. Kai keeps attached to my arm and she seems a little nervous. "Everything okay?" I ask her softly.

"I'm scared. Maybe I am not ready for this," she looks up at me terrified. I stop my walking directly in front of the entrance and the bouncer at the door.

I take hold of her shoulders and bend down to make myself eye level with her. "You can do this. We will listen to music and just have fun. Who knows, maybe Gabe, Travie or Pete are DJing tonight," I give her a big friendly smile.

She smiles right back and nods. "Okay, if they are I will be so happy," she bites her bottom lip and jumps up in place.

The bouncer clears his throat as I stand up straight. We both look over at him. "Its her first night going to a club? Is she 21?" he asks.

I look at Kai as she goes in her purse and takes out her ID. She shows the bouncer and he smiles. "Have a fun night. This club isn't scary," he chuckles and opens the door for us.

I exchange a look with a Kai who squeals and puts her ID away. She attaches herself back to my arm. I look over the girls in line waiting to get in. They mumble to each other annoyed giving us dirty looks. I laugh it off and allow Kai to pull me to inside the club.

Instantly the music fills every inch of my body. It moves through me and the flashing lights all around get me caught in a daze. No matter how much I hated clubs and how awkward I felt, I loved this one. Pete has a good way of designing it. It was pretty in a guy way.

I look at Kai who seems to be in a daze as well. "Its beautiful in here," Kai mumbles. She swallows hard shaking her head then looks up at me. "Can I live here momma Claudia?" she ask with a little kid voice.

"Ah, don't call me that. It makes me feel old" I chuckle.

"Well, 23 is kind of old," she raises an eyebrow with a cocky smile dancing on her lips.

"Oh shut up. Your 21, only two years younger. If I'm old, you're old," I smile and elbow her playfully. "Come on, lets get a drink," I smile.

We make our way throughout the club until we reach one of the bars. Mostly guys were in this area watching the girls that were out at the floor dancing. We both sit down on a bar stool and mimic the guys looking out at the floor. I order myself a vodka and cranberry juice, and Kai orders herself a pina colada.

I let my eyes wonder around the club to see if I can recognize anyone here. I allow my sight to fall on the DJ booth. I see the smiling faces of Gabe Saporta, Travie McCoy and Pete Wentz. "Hey, Kai, Kai, Kai! Look at the DJ booth!" I slap her arm repeatedly until she looks over at it. She stretches up her neck to make herself a little taller.

"Gah! Them! Sexy sexy men!" she giggles and claps her hands together.

Someone next to me starts to laugh catching my attention. A man is standing next to me leaning against the bar with a beer bottle in his hands. I can only see what he looks like from behind because his curly long fro light hair is covering his face. He stands up straight and faces me. I get caught in his blue eyes. Joe fucking Trohman. The corner of my mouth twitches up in a smirk.

"You like them?" he asks raising an eyebrow and putting his beer bottle to his lips.

I nod and begin to blush. "Each are part of three of my favorite bands," I tell him. I swallow hard and have to look away for a second. I look at Kaitlin for help. Its not like I don't know how to talk to a guy, I do, but its Joe. Joe the hoe with the fro. He's amazing.

"Relax. He's human. Don't shake and get all weird like how I am with Andy," Kai smiles and pats my arm. She continue to look out at the crowd.

I look at Joe and smile. He leans toward me and puts his mouth to my ear. "I like your shirt," he tells me. He moves away and is smiling.

I giggle uncontrollably and force myself to take a few sips of my drink to stop myself from laughing. I basically begin to choke on the drink. I spit some of it out making it dribble down my chin. Joe starts to laugh and leans over the bar top and grabs a napkin. He places it on my chin and wipes it up.

"You okay? Sorry if I made you choke? Am I that ugly?" Joe chuckles and looks at the ground.

"No. You are everything but ugly. I just, I don't know how to act around people," I tell him feeling confused. I rub my cheek and sigh. "I'm sorry, I should go," I go to stand up from the bar stool but Joe grabs onto the inside of my elbow.

"Don't be sorry. I was trying to be suave," he stares into my eyes. His eyes look like they are searching for something. "If anyone goes it should be me. But I would really like to talk to you," he seems sincere. And face it, I want to talk to him I just don't know how. I need to learn how to break from my shell and let my wall down. I should be able to talk to him like I can talk to anyone, and I will.