Chasers

First Day

I sighed, putting down my book and looking in the mirror. Ugh…stupid school. I had decided on black skinny jeans, a simple, tight, dark grey t-shirt and black converse, a cross choker, hair down and no make up. 'No need to dress it up,' I thought to myself. I ran down the stairs and picked up my backpack, iPod, and phone before I reached the kitchen, walking up to my mom and hugging her before stealing a cookie and racing out the door.
 
“Kitty!” she called after me, but I kept going. I only had a few blocks to go until school, and I reached the huge building quickly. I walked calmly to the cafeteria, sinking into the nearest chair of a fairly empty table. The other kid looked asleep, possibly drooling…I shook my head, pulling out my iPod discretely and plugging in headphones. I didn’t really care what was playing…just that I was listening to music.

I'm different, you see. I nonchalantly scanned the room, lowering my head and closing my eyes. I'm a witch...not like the poor witches in urban legends, mind you. I don't sit in haunted houses skinning children. I chuckled softly at the thought. No...those are changelings.

I opened my eyes again, turning my head ever so slightly to watch the kids still pouring in through the door. I sighed...everywhere I went, I searched for traces of magic, I searched for other witches or wizards but...I was relatively young, power wise, and couldn't detect much magic unless it's practically in my face.
 
I sighed again. I hate the first day back…especially because I'm the new kid. Everyone rushes into the school building, talking to their friends about their awesome vacations, cruses, beach stays, blah blah blah. I just sat at the table until the first bell rang. I picked up my backpack, hiding my headphones behind my hair as I stood and walked to my first class: Physics.
 
“Ah, you must be the new student, Kitty Fiori?” a rather large man asked, eying me questionably. I didn't blame him...God knows I've probably already been stereotyped by these people...I nodded, offering a small smile and walking up to him to collect my book before going to the back of the classroom. Thankfully, the teacher, Mr. Hughes I later found out, didn’t ask me to introduce myself. I dreaded that part the most...

I tried to pay attention in class, but goodness…who’s bright idea was it to have physics at the beginning of the day? I sunk down in my seat further, face becoming heated as I realized I’d said that out loud…quietly, but still. I sighed…this was going to be a long day…