Status: Very Much Alive

My Kingdom for a Kiss

42

''Arthur...'' Evangeline sighed, nearly hitting herself over the head for admitting it to him.

''That doesn't mean I would act on those... feelings.'' She frowned at the word.

The fair haired Prince expected nothing different, though that did not render him fight less.

She glanced up at him, catching that determined glint in his baby blue eyes.

Evangeline shook her head, but it was too late, Arthur had already took her hands in his, putting a damper in her plans of escaping.

With a heavy sigh, she dropped her hands, and his fell with her own. It was a defeated gesture on her part.

''Now that I know for sure how you feel, I can't ever give up.'' He told her, looking deeply into her bright green eyes.

''I was afraid of that.'' She said quietly, glancing down, away from his piercing gaze.

Arthur lifted her chin, smiling lightly. Nothing could bring him down this day.

Evangeline could not retrain the way his sweet smile made her feel, but she could control the way she acted on the outside.

''You should be resting.'' He said softly, simply staring into her eyes.

Evangeline stepped away from him. ''I think I should do that.'' She agreed, walking off briskly
in the direction of her chambers.

Arthur ran to catch up, already breathless from her mere presence and confirmation of her infatuation with him.

''Must you walk? You're injured. I should carry you.'' Arthur spoke by her side.

She laughed a short laugh. ''No. I can do well on my own.'' Evangeline shot down his offer.

''That wasn't a question.'' Arthur smirked teasingly, taking her up into his arms once again, without her permission.

''Arthur! You have to stop this!'' She tried to escape his hold.

''Evangeline,'' He held her carefully against his chest, ''you should stop fighting. It wouldn't hurt for me to take you to your room. You are injured, after all.''

''Fine. Just stop picking me up so unexpectedly. It startles me.'' She admitted, her heart pounding deafeningly in her chest because of more than just her fright.

Arthur nodded. ''I will warn you next time.''

''There will not be a next time.'' She glared at the stone ceiling.

Arthur smiled anyway. He was far too happy at the moment.

Nothing she could and would say hurt him anymore, because he knew how she really felt.

''Arthur...'' Evangeline said testily, ''You can put me down now.''

They were very near to her chambers and she could hardly stand being in his loving arms for
a second longer.

Arthur reluctantly obliged, gently setting her on her feet.

Evangelien did not look up at him, but she strode passed him and to the wooden door of her chambers.

''Evangeline!'' Arthur caught her attention before she could disappear behind the door.

She did not look at him, but she did stop. And that was enough of a confirmation for Arthur.

''I'll wait for you.''

Evangeline sighed inaudibly, biting her lip gently. ''Arthur... I know you don't think that I can
love you. But, I'm afraid I already do.''

She disappeared behind the two large wooden doors, and they acted as a shield.

Evangeline was being honest about what she had said. She thought, why not be truthful? He already knew.

Arthur was left still on the opposite side of her door, with only the sound of his own heartbeats to accompany him.

Evangeline feared that now that she admitted it, not only to Arthur, but to herself, that he would be done with her. That the chase would be over and he would find someone new.

She fell asleep with a heavy heart, just as she usually did in her time in Camelot.

Around noon, Morgana ran into Evangeline, literally. Nearly knocking her to the stone floor in her excitement.

''He's coming!'' She kept saying, though that hardly helped Evangeline grasp what was happening.

''Who? What are you talking about?'' Evangeline asked, her eyes wide in startled surprise.

''Alexandrus is coming! He's going to stay! He is going to be a Knight for Uther so he can live in Camelot!'' She took a breath for the first time. ''He will be here next first day at noon.''

Evangeline smiled lightly, happy for her beloved friend. ''That is wonderful news. I'm happy everything is working out for you, Morgana.''

Morgana looked at her with suspicion. ''This sounds like a goodbye...'' She said slowly, hoping against all hope that it was not true.

Evangeline sighed. She was hoping to tell her in a different way. ''I just don't see how I can stay any longer.'' She explained.

Morgana frowned. ''Is this because of Arthur?'' She asked sorrowfully.

''It was a combination of a lot of things.'' Evangeline told her sadly. ''Firstly, my Father.
Secondly, Arthur. I'm not going to make him wait around for me. It's unfair to him.''

Morgana's frown deepen at this explanation. ''Then don't make him. Just be with him! I don't understand, Evangeline. It's what you both want.''

Evangeline merely shook her head ever so softly. ''Morgana, please don't tell him?'' She requested. ''I don't want to have to look at him again.''

''So you don't plan on coming back?'' Morgana asked, her voice cracking in heartbreak.

''I'm so sorry, Morgana. I'm so horrible.'' She frowned, her eyes cast to the ground. She always seemed to cause heart ache where there was nothing but happiness.

Morgana hugged her tightly. ''I understand. But, we have to stay in touch.'' Morgana was being very kind. She hid her lack of understanding and sadness.

''And I would love for you to see Bernicia.'' Evangeline said, ''It is very beautiful. And there are plenty of handsome Knights there.'' She teased, hoping to lighten the mood.

Morgana cracked a smile.

As Evangeline pulled away, she bit her lip in woe. She did not want to leave her dear friend, but she simply had to.

Next to break the news to, was Merlin. And he didn't pretend to be okay at all, like Morgana had.

''What!?'' He asked rather loudly. ''This is madness!'' He sighed heavily. He knew she was running away. Running like she always did.

Evangeline knew that Merlin had a bit of separation anxiety. The loss of his Father, and his best friend back home still hung over him and she felt most regretful for her timing.

In the end, Merlin accepted her departure. And Evangeline asked him not to tell Arthur.

That evening, she packed her things quietly in her chambers, next to Arthur's where he was smiling toothily and dreamily staring at the ceiling above.

He had no idea that when he would get up to see her, he would be seeing an empty room.