Status: Very Much Alive

My Kingdom for a Kiss

44

Thankfully, it was only Beatrice.

Though Evangeline pushed Arthur away very quickly anyway.

''Beatrice, I thought I told you could go.'' She politely said.

But Beatrice looked far too anxious to be a handmaiden who was getting the rest of her day off. She shook her head, her eyes in alarm. ''Princess, you're Father... He is coming.''

Evangeline's eyes widened and she bit her lip, pushing Arthur behind her black and silver divider, where she would go for privacy to change her clothing.

Beatrice began picking up the clothes she had dropped when startled by Arthur's abrupt arrival, which were still laying, scattered all over the gray stone floors.

Evangeline nearly slid across the room, to help Beatrice. She didn't want her to be shacked.

A firm, but kind knock caused Evangeline to jump, though she was expecting it.

She gracefully swept across the room, and opened the door.

There her Father stood, his dark gray fur cape over his broad shoulders and the ruby and onyx encrusted crown sitting on top of his slightly graying dark hair.

''Father.'' She greeted fondly, kissing his cheek and stepping aside, so that he could enter.

Despite her nervousness, she was happy to see her Father. She had missed him dearly upon her arrival at Camelot.

''My dear,'' He smiled, his eyes smiling along with his lips, ''I've come again, because I simply can not believe you are back home with me. Safe.''

Evangeline smiled lightly, as Beatrice took the basket of clothing out of the room, avoiding eye contact and looking rather stiff.

''It would bring me great happiness if you were to accompany me for dinner. I've missed you, my darling girl.''

''I would be happy to, Father.'' Evangeline smiled beautifully, only reminding her Father of
Evangeline's Mother and the King's wife.

''You look so much like your Mother.'' The King spoke with an air of nostalgia.

Evangeline smiled, she could faintly remember her Mother, and she had seen painting all over the castle to remind her.

''So beautiful. So stunning.'' He complimented.

''Thank you, Father.'' She hugged his briefly, smiling her Mother's smile.

Once her Father left, Evangeline did not go and get Arthur, she had almost forgotten he was there, but instead of retrieving him from behind her divider, she bit her full bottom lip and

knit her dark brows together in sadness.

What was she doing? How could she feel this way about someone who had caused her and her Father so much pain?

She did not want to cry, not only because of Arthur's presence, but because she hated to cry.

When she did, she was left with regret and self-loathing spirits.

Arthur slowly came out, shyly glancing upon her.

He knew she was sad, but for what reason, he was unsure.

''E-Evangeline?'' He asked weakly, hoping she wouldn't cry. It made him so solemn when she did.

''Go away, Arthur! Please!'' She begged, hating what she had been doing to her Father, though he was till unaware of it.

''Evangeline, I'm sorry for whatever I did!'' He got onto his knees before her as she sat on the edge of her bed, he wanted to see her, eye to eye, face to face.

''How can you be sorry, if you don't know what you're supposed to be sorry for?'' She asked, letting her hands drop from their position over her face.

''If it is causing you pain, I will always be sorry for that.''

Evangeline frowned, looking away from his fair face.

''Why must you curse me with your love?'' She asked sadly, her tone nearly inaudible.

''I'm sorry you think of it that why.'' Arthur frowned, mutely attempting to ignore the pain her words had caused him.

''Me too.'' She bit her lip lightly.

But suddenly, she grew rather serious. ''Arthur, you have to leave.'' Evangeline told him, worrying for his safety as well as her shame.

''Not without you.'' He objected, clearly very passionate about the subject.

Evangeline sighed in slight frustration. ''I'm very serious, Arthur. If my Father found you
here, I wouldn't put it past him to hurt you terribly.''

And just then, the warning bells began to sound.

''Oh no!'' Evangeline bit her lip, glancing up at Arthur.

''The guards must have woken up.'' He ran a hand through his fair locks, unsure of what to do.

Merlin nearly bust open the door, causing the two to jump.

''We have to go.'' Merlin rushed to the open window, looking down to see if they could climb back down without being detected.

''We have vicious wolfs as guards as well...'' Evangeline told them, touching her full bottom lip in anxious concentration.

Arthur looked over at Merlin, who looked just as worried as himself.

Evangeline suddenly spoke, ''Come on.'' She crossed the room to a large wooden wardrobe and pulled open the doors.

She pulled out a long, dark grey cloak and threw it to Arthur. It did not look as though it were for a women, which gave Arthur some relief.

''Merlin, you should be fine. Unless you want one...?'' Evangeline asked, glancing back at Merlin.

''No, it's okay.'' Merlin smiled, hoping they got out of here alive. Bernicia was as lovely as it was frightening.

''The hood.'' She gestured for Arthur to hide his face and started toward the door.

They reluctantly followed, their stomachs in knots from anxiety.

The three successfully exited the town square without being seen, and Evangeline lead them to a darkened alleyway between the psychican's quarters and the kitchens and quickly,
towards the woods.

''Go.'' She whispered, once they had a clear passage to Camelot.

Merlin waved goodbye and began to run, but Arthur turned to Evangeline, not wanting to leave without her.

''Go!'' She urged him, gesturing with her hands.

Arthur pulled her to him by the small of her back and kissed her, a soft yet desperate kiss of the lips.

Evangeline struggled to keep her heart beats calm,but failed miserably.

She knew it wouldn't be long before the guards secured this area, and she did not want him or herself to get caught. She was ashamed of herself and quickly pulled away.

''You have to go.'' She pushed him away gently, frowning lightly because of her shame.

The faint voices of soldiers was approaching and Arthur had not choice but to leave her, as much as he wished he did not have to.

''I love you.'' He whispered to her, the sincerity in his eyes, haunting her.

He only got so far before the guards and wolves came rushing down the small slope and

Evangeline knew she had to go something to prevent them from catching him.

He would surely be hurt if she did not.

And without a second thought, she rose her arms into the air and pulled it close to her body, before unleashing the strongest wind to have blew through this land.

Arthur turned just in time to see her unleash the wind and all the soldiers fell over, giving
Arthur a head start.

Thankfully, the guards did not see her saving the Prince's life, but the misfortune was that the Prince himself had saw. Arthur, the son of Uther, had seen Evangeline use her magic.