Status: Very Much Alive

My Kingdom for a Kiss

45

Evangeline could not look in his direction, and she was happy he was so far away.

She didn't know what he would think, and she did not want to find out. As quickly as a bolt of lightning, she disappeared from sight, running back to her castle.

Her heart was racing with fear. How much would he love her now that he knew what she really was?

She was afraid for many reasons. She feared for her life, without a doubt, but also, she feared he wouldn't want to be with her anymore.

But, wasn't that what she was trying to do all along? To drive him away?

With shaky sobs, she ran up her tower stairs, happy that it was a solitary stairwell.

Evangeline was frustrated with herself. And her crying did not help.

She did want to knocked out her men, or gust the wolves off their feet, but she had to, to save Arthur.

She feebly hit the table with her clenched fist as she cried. She was terrified, and that scared her.

Arthur journeyed back to Camelot with a lot on his mind.

How could he have not known? This can't be real!

He sighed, running a hand through those fair locks.

Arthur was confused. If she was a sorceress, then why hadn't she done anything horrible to him? He had hurt her terribly. He killed her brother, and still she did nothing to hurt him,
except maybe emotionally.

She could get away with killing him! And yet, she hadn't even tried.

Arthur didn't want to think anymore.

She couldn't be!

He shook his thoughts away, or at least he attempted to.

But she saved him. She put herself in mortal danger to grant him a clear passage without being caught and killed.

What she did had threatened to reveal her most ashamed part of herself, him.

That wasn't the actions of the witches his Father had told him about.

His Father had painted such a monstrous picture of them, and yet, she was nothing like it.

Arthur was beyond perplexed and he bit his lower lip in anxiety as he neared Camelot.

Though, as all those thoughts ran through his head, it only proved to him that that detail of herself did not change anything he felt about her, in fact, it only made him love her more.

She could easily hurt and destroy him, or anyone else, for that matter, yet, she hadn't. And that just showed Arthur just how wonderful she really was.

He had slept in the room right next to hers, and she did nothing to harm him.

Arthur knew he could not go back so soon, but he wanted to turn right back around and run
to her.

He loved her. He knew that very well, and he hoped she did too.

Once Arthur and Merin had made it back to Camelot, Morgana had ran to them, before they even crossed the bridge.

Her smiled fell as she saw no Evangeline, but she was happy the boys got back safely.

Arthur did not say anything about what he had saw Evangeline do as the three climbed the stairwell in the main square.

He didn't know who to trust with this knowledge. He definitely didn't want to risk Evangeline's life by telling anyone.

He sighed, quietly excusing himself and leaving for his dormitory.

Passing Evangeline's chamber door, he missed her already.

Arthur remembered the look of pain on her beautiful face. She was afraid, he could see that.

But, it looked as those it pained her to use her magic. Whether it hurt her psychically or if it was simply her fear of being captured, he did not know.

He sighed. He wasn't sure what to do next.

Evangeline didn't know who to talk to. She had Merlin and Morgana, of course. But she did not know how to tell them in writing, at least not without exposing herself to anyone who could read it.

She sighed, wandering the Kingdom inside of her castle.

With the tail of her long burgundy velvet dress trailing behind her several feet, she walked.

Unsure of where she was going.

But Evangeline ended up at the door of her brother's tomb.

She sighed, his death still fresh in her memory even after a year.

Slowly, she entered, softly shutting the door behind her.

The stoneflag Mausoleum was filled with red lit candles. Evangeline would think it was utterly beautiful if she weren't so sad.

There, as she gazed sorrowfully at her brother's sword and shield, she remembered why she wished to loathe Arthur Pendragon.