Status: Very Much Alive

My Kingdom for a Kiss

53

The trumpets echoed against the stone walls of the castle of Bernicia, but none saw what they were sounding for.

King Odin smiled a triumphant smile, and told the guards to fetch his daughter.

He thought she might have something to say to the murderer of her beloved brother, before Odin himself sought out his revenge.

Over the loud, melodic tune, Evangeline heard a knock at her chamber door, and she rushed to answer it.

Upon opening the door, she saw a Knight of her Father, Sir Derrick, and he told her her father was summoning her to the courtroom, saying it was an urgent matter.

She came at once, slightly confused, but when two guards opened the courtroom door, she knew at once.

There knelt Arthur, forcefully in front of her father.

Her heart raced dangerously fast and her eyes widened slightly, ''Father?'' She asked, stepping closer and attempting to act normally.

''What is the meaning of this?'' She asked, avoiding Arthur's direction entirely as she slowly walked toward them.

''This,'' Paused her father dramatically, to look down at Arthur with hatred, ''is Arthur Pendragon. The man that has caused your once always smiling face, to carry the frown of a century of sorrow.''

Arthur himself frowned, looking down in shame and sadness. He never meant to cause her such pain.

Evangeline glanced down at Arthur, biting her lip lightly. She did not wish to see him hurt. She did not wish to see anyone in pain. And she knew that would be what her brother would want.

''Father, what do you mean to do?'' She asked, fearing his reply.

King Odin withdrew his sword from it's sheath with a sinister sneer.

''Father!'' Evangeline stepped in front of the kneeling Prince, standing between her grief-stricken Father and the man she had come to love.

''My Princess?'' Her Father and King frowned, surprised his daughter wasn't happy to have her revenge.

She shook her head 'no', her eyes glossy with tear that threatened to fall down her color-drained cheeks.

''Do you think Matthew would appreciate you striking an unarmed man down without mercy?'' She asked, shocked at her father. ''Especially over him.''

''But he killed him! Your brother! Your best friend! My son....'' He finished weakly.

Evangeline sighed, one lone tear slipping down her cheekbone. ''You can not let your grief and bitterness consume you, Father. It will destroy you. Make you someone you no longer recognize.''

Evangeline should have been listening to her own advice, but it was her Father that was affected by her wise words.

King Odin sighed, dropping his sword and sighing a sigh with strained for a long year.

''My little Angel,'' He took her hand, ''you always see sense. But if I see Arthur Pendragon again, I will not be so understanding.''

He warned Arthur, glaring at him from his kneeling position behind Evangeline.

The King then left, and signaled the guards to as well, he though she meant want to add a few well chosen words.

Evangeline turned toward Arthur, and was met his embrace. Still kneeling, he rest his cheek against her stomach.

She just stood there for a moment, then slowly, she ran her fingers through his fair hair.

Arthur wrapped his arms around her waist, leaning into her tender touch.

''You should go... while you can.'' Evangeline broke the peaceful silence, letting go of the little bit of psychical contact with him.

Arthur stood, thus towering over her slightly. He had a very serious expression on his handsome face as he stared down at her.

''Why are you looking at me that way? Stop it.'' Evangeline frowned, unable to hold his gaze.

''I am so sorry about everything. About your brother, your father, my love....'' Arthur trailed off, his eyes cast downward.

Evangeline sighed, closing her eyes lightly. How had your life come to this? She has fallen in love with her brother's killer.

She felt sick with herself. The thought of her brother's expression before he was taken away from her played in front of her closed eyes. She opened them quickly, shaking away his face.

''I hate to hurt you, Arthur. But you hurt me first and I find it very difficult to forgive you. No matter how many apologizes. Please, leave. Before my father changes his mind.''

Arthur sighed, but he wished to groan. To take her by the hand and make her give up her endless fight against his affection.

''Come away with me! I will convince you! Just for a day. Be with me?'' Arthur suggested, hoping to wisk her away and change her mind.

''End this, Arthur! Before I do. You know I can't go. I won't.'' Evangeline looked away from his sad expression that was sure to appear.

And appear it did. He frowned deeply, his shoulders slumping in mental exhaustion.

She looked over reluctantly, and felt the strongest feeling of self-loathing. ''Kill me, I'm a monster!'' Evangeline sighed, exhausted with her inward fight against him and his wishes to be near her.

She looked away, but glanced back at Arthur to ask, ''Is this what you wish to accomplish? My self-hatred and guilt? I deserve it.''

''You know that is not what I wish! If anyone is attempting to make the other guilty, it is you! You try and make me feel guilty for loving you. But I can't help it! I just can't stop!''

''No need to shout!'' Evangeline glared, shouting herself, and turning away from him sharply.

Arthur shook his head. ''I did not mean to yell. I'm sorry. But it seems you use anything I do or say to use it against me. To help your attack and defense against my feelings!'' He said firmly, but did not shout this time.

''And yet you will not leave. No matter how I hard I try to force you too.''

Arthur sadness was expressed through the small frown tugging at his lips, and she too became even more sorrowful.

''I believe I have aged more in the 14 months I have known you, then in my entire life. How can you make me so sad, angry and exhausted, but also make me more happy than I can explain?''

Evangeline glared lightly, slightly hurt. ''Well, if I make you feel such horrible things, why do you bother? That only reassures me. We're not good for each other.''

''No! That is not what I'm trying to say!'' Arthur sighed heavily, dropping his head in his palms.

''I don't care. Whatever it is you're trying to say. I do care that you leave.'' Evangeline said, worried for his life, when he seemed more worried about her knowing his intentions and hopes.

''I don't want to leave. Not like this.'' Arthur sighed, frowning sadly.

Evangeline groaned. ''Like what?'' She was afraid that her father and his men would come and do what she had stopped.

''Like this! You angry. Me, exhausted.'' He gave another sigh.

Evangeline said, attempting to convince him, ''I'm not angry.''

Arthur laughed humorlessly. ''Yes, yes you are. I can see that you are.''

''So, what? You have to leave. If my father comes back, and sees you're still here, he will kill you. I don't want that, no matter how angry I am or ever will be.'' She spoke with a softness and she wished she hadn't.

Arthur seemed to look less heavyhearted and even smiled lightly at the mere suggestion that she cared.

It was as if a giddy, teenage boy had possessed the masculine build of the fair Prince, and his cheeks were tinged in a light pink.

Evangeline sighed, and despite the small amount of happy his happy had brought her, she needed him out. Before it was too late.

''I'm not angry anymore. You can leave now.'' Evangeline almost begged, biting her full lower lip in nervousness and anxiety.

Arthur kissed her long, wavy raven locks, is smile far from fading. ''I will see you again. If I have to march into the town square, I will!''

''Let us hope you're not so foolish to do such a thing.'' Evangeline said, wishing he wouldn't do that.

''Foolishly in love, my darling.'' He smiled lightly, hoping he wasn't pushing his luck, though he was so happy, he wasn't sure he would be capable of stopping himself from going too far and upsetting her.

''I'm not your darling, Arthur. But we must not discuss this now, you need to leave.'' Evangeline nodded toward the exit.

Arthur did not wish to leave her, but he understood that he had to leave, or else horrible things could happen to him.

''Meet me in the Darkling Wood when the moon hangs above the forest's trees. I will wait for you there.''

And then he left. Without giving her the chance to reply. He was almost afraid she would say no.
♠ ♠ ♠
Horrible, I know. I'm terribly sorry. It will get better. This is mainly just a filler, so you guys don't leave me before the real story begins. Tell me what you think. Constructive criticism is essential to better writing.