Status: Very Much Alive

My Kingdom for a Kiss

64

The imposter's face began contorting in pain and it seemed to change.

No longer were her lips full and red, but thin and pink.

Her once Emerald eyes lightened to a pale blue and her loose ringlets of raven tress grew more matted and brown.

All was seen as it should be.

Evangeline waved away the enchanted restraints, seeing no real threat from the petite girl.

"Please! What are you going to do to me?" She stumbled up in fright.

The King of Bernicia was known for his ruthlessness against those who prove to be his enemy. She could only what he had taught his daughter.

And now knowing she was a sorceress did not ease her weary soul.

A loud commotion of metal clanging with chain-mail outside Arthur's chamber distracted the party inside.

"Prince Arthur!" The knights and guards looked shocked and worried after opening the door.

They drew their swords. "The princess is a witch! Draw!" They shouted to Arthur, unaware of his feelings for the witch.

Arthur did draw, but he did not face the startled Evangeline, but stood in front of her, his sword prepared to strike the first of them to step closer.

The imposter seemed to find this the perfect moment to scatter away like the rat she was.

Evangeline, despite her great power was frightened. This had been her nightmare since she discovered her abilities.

"Arthur! What are you doing?! Stand aside! She's a sorceress!"

Merlin was shocked and scared for his friend, Evangeline. He was surprised by Arthur's actions, having been unaware of his knowing the truth.

''We have orders from the King to bring her to the throne room.'' Sir Leon explain, wary and a bit sad. He didn't know what to think. Evangeline was always kind to him.

''I will go willingly.'' Evangeline stepped around Arthur, not displaying the terror she felt.

She smiled kindly at Sir Leon, who was only following orders.

He frowned, ''I'm sorry, princess.'' taking her arm gently.

''No!'' Arthur caught her wrist, panic and fear widening his pale blue eyes.

''It's okay.'' Evangeline pulled her arm back, glancing over at Merlin. She seemed to be saying goodbye with her eyes.

The Knights brought her to the King, a seething Arthur not far behind.

''Father! What is this about?!'' He shouted, walking threateningly too close to his father and king.

''She was seen using magic. I didn't even know she was in Camelot.'' Uther did not coward before his livid son's stare. Though he noted he had never seen him quite so mad.

''Bring her.'' He waved over.

Leon reluctantly brought her to the king's throne, were he left her standing next to Arthur.

''Do you deny using magic, witch?'' Uther questioned, though she knew he had already made up his mind about her and anything she said would do no good. She knew men like Uther; ruthless, power-hungry.

''I do not.'' She calmly answered.

Arthur glanced over at her sharply, his heart in his throat. He could kill his father right now and that scared him.

''No! I love her!'' Arthur grabbed her suddenly, holding her close and looking possessive and protective.

''Thought you could ensnare my son?'' Uther's eyes only hardened more by this display. ''Steal my throne, kill me? So you could get your revenge?'' He questioned loudly, angry and mad.

''She did not use her magic on me! She saved him far too many times to count! Why would she do that?!'' Arthur seemed to be speaking for her now.

Uther looked at the crazed look in his son's eyes and inevitably misread it. It only reassured his believe that he was under some sort of spell.

Speaking her mind would not help her position, though the chance had finally come and she could not deny her heart.

Evangeline freed herself from Arthur's grasp, her heart racing in her anger.

''How many of my kind have you murdered?! Thousands! And how many I even harmed of your kind? None. You are the monster! You should be the hunted!''

''So... You came to retract your revenge?'' Uther stood, she was only helping his case.

''Have you ever wondered why my father hates your's?'' She turned to Arthur, her cool exterior breaking at last.

''Because your father murdered my mother in cold blood! He would kill thousands of his men in the inevitable war caused by killing one of my kind! My mother, no less.''

Arthur's lack of knowledge on this matter shone through his eyes when he heard what had been kept from him for years.

''Morgana's father died in that war! Your friends!'' He turned on his father, approaching with so much anger, he wasn't sure what he intended to do when he got to him.

''I bet he never told you how the Great Purge began...'' Evangeline would have stopped herself, she couldn't tell Arthur this. It would hurt him too badly.

She never got the chance to stop herself as a panicked scream from the King signaled the guards to seize her at once.

Arthur ran to her as they drug her away, though two more guards restrained him with all their might.

''Put them both in the dungeons. Separate! Arthur, you need time to cool down.'' Uther sat back into his throne, while his son looked upon him with shuddering hatred.
♠ ♠ ♠
So sorry it took so long. I have severe writer's block. :( Also, it's very short, which I'm terribly sorry about. Next chapter is gonna be SUPER long, promise. ;) Lots of secrets come out. Hope you enjoy the angst. And I hope it isn't too much like the Guinevere scene. :/ Comments please? Good and bad are welcome. I could always use constructive criticism. :)
--Blessed be.