Status: Complete

I'm Ready to Leap. I'm Ready to Live.

five

Kat’s POV

My phone rang. Thinking it was Brendon I answered it without looking.

“Hey. Are you almost here?” I asked giggling.

“Um, Kat.” the male voice on the other end replied.

My heart stopped for a second and then picked up speed, beating double time.

“Craig? Is that you?” I asked just above a whisper.

“Yeah. Hey.” he said solemnly.

“Hi.” was all I said. I didn’t know what else to say. I was completely stunned. What could he possibly want? He was back home now. With Sarah as far as I knew. What did he want with me?

The phone was silent for a moment. “You still there?” he asked.

“Mhmm.” I answered, “Uh did you need something?”

“I just. I don’t know….wanted to see how you were doing I guess, I miss you.” the last part he said in a rush. Probably hoping I wouldn’t hear it. Unfortunately I did.

“Well, I’m ok. I’m back in Vegas. AP was overjoyed to take me back on their team. I suppose I miss you too Craig. Is that why you called, because you miss me?”

“Well, mostly I just wanted to see how you are, but yeah, I also wanted to tell you that.”

Desperately trying to change the subject I asked, “How is everything with you and Sarah.”

He audibly sighed, “All right I guess. She misses L.A. really wants to come back, but I don’t want to leave my family. I don’t know it’s just not the same.”

“The same as what?” I asked.

“You.”

“Craig….I can’t do this with you right now.” I said feeling my heart sink in my chest.

“I’m sorry. I just….I don’t know….Can I come visit you sometime? I really would like to see you. I know I’m being out of line, but I..”

“Craig. Please stop.” I begged. “I can’t do this with you right now. I’m not sure if I am ready to see you, or if I want to for that matter. I can’t really say that I’m sorry that things aren’t working out perfectly for you and Sarah. However spiteful that may sound, it’s how I feel.”

He interrupted, “Kat I made a mistake…”

My phone beeped in my ear alerting me to the fact that I had another call.

“Craig, I have to go.”

“Okay. Think about what I said please.”

“I’ll try. I don’t. I just…bye.” I said clicking over to my other call. “Hello.” I said wearily feeling myself on the brink of tears.

“Kat. Are you okay?” it was Brendon.

“Yeah. I’m fine. Are you almost here?” I asked forcing myself to relax.

“Yeah I’m about to pull into the diner parking lot.”

“Ok. I’ll be there in a sec.” I replied
I ran out of the kitchen grabbing my keys and dashing for the door locking it behind me.

*******************************************************************

I arrived at the diner in five minutes. I ran most of the way. It was actually about a 10 minute walk. I was short of breath as I frantically searched the parking lot for Brendon. Before I could start to freak out I saw him get out of his car and start walking towards me. I felt a small smile whisper across my lips. He smiled in return.

“Hey.” he said wrapping me in his arms.

“Hi.” I said quietly into his neck after I nuzzled my head there.

I have no idea how long we stood there like that before we pulled away. “If its even possible I think you are even more beautiful than I remember.”

I laughed, “Yeah, because the last time you saw me I was covered in make up balling my eyes out.”

“You’re always beautiful to me.” he said unabashed.

I blushed, “Well, thank you. I would say you are more handsome than ever, but I’m sure you being a rock star and all you hear that sort of thing all the time.”

He chuckled, “Doesn’t matter. Means more when you say it. So about this surprise house….”

“Oh!.” I said regaining my previous mood of excitement.

*******************************************************************

“No way.” he said looking at me and smiling.

“Way.” I replied looking out the window at my house.

“I can’t believe you got it.”

“I know. Crazy right?” I said laughing at his shocked expression.

“Our dream house.” he said placing his hand over top of mine.

The beautiful brick house I know lived in was a house that Brendon and I had talked about many times when we were young. We always told each other that when we got married we would buy it. I felt nostalgia creeping into my mind.

“Well, are we going to sit out here and stare at it, or are you going to invite me in?” he asked looking at me.

“Sorry.” I said laughter in my voice.

We exited the car and headed inside. I gave him a tour of the whole place. He didn’t say a lot. I had a sneaking suspicion he was thinking about what we had said about the place so long ago.

When the tour was over we were sitting on the couch together, the T.V. on with no sound. It was silent. Neither of us saying a word. It was odd. I felt like I had so much to say to him, but I really couldn’t come up with the right words to express how I felt. Sadly Brendon broke the silence with a question I was hoping to avoid. “So, why did you sound so upset on the phone?”

I sighed heavily. “Craig called me.”

“Oh. What for?” he asked quietly.

“I’m not really sure to tell you the truth. He said that things aren’t really going so great with him and Sarah and that he misses me.” I answered, just as quiet.

“What did you say?”

“I said that I miss him too, because in all reality I do. I told him I wasn’t sorry that things weren’t working out with him and her and that I wasn’t ready to have this sort of conversation. He decided to ask if he could come see me. I obviously told him no.” I felt the burn of tears again.

“Kat. Don’t cry.” Brendon urged, placing a hand on my shoulder.

“I don’t know what to do.” I said honestly. “I do miss him and I still love him. How could I not? It’s only been a month. I’d be lying if I said I was over it.”

“I understand.” he said sadly.

“I don’t want to talk about it anymore. You’re here and that’s all that matters to me right now. I’ve missed you.” I said hoping to cheer him up.

“I’ve missed you too.” he said smiling at me.

“Come on. You’ve got to be hungry. Let me make you something to eat.” I said rising from my seat on the leather couch.

“Ok.” he agreed looking into my eyes.

I blushed and made my way into the kitchen with him at my heels.

*******************************************************************
Next day

I woke up to a knock on my front door. “Who the hell is knocking at my door at 8 in the morning?” I asked myself out loud after a glance at the clock on my night stand. There was no way it was Brendon seeing as he was in the guest room. I climbed out of bed and pulled on some shorts and a t-shirt. I made my way down the stairs as the doorbell rang. “I’m coming!” I yelled irritated. I pulled open the heavy oak door and surprise there stood Craig.

“Hi.” he said staring at me.

“Craig?!? What the hell are you doing here?”

“I needed to see you.” he said his eyes pleading.

“Are you kidding me right now?” I sighed.

Another voice entered the conversation before he could answer. “Who the hell knocks on your door at 8 in the morning Kat. I gotta say it’s pretty annoying.” said a very tired looking Brendon from the bottom of the stairs.

I just looked at him. I couldn’t form any words. Craig stepped inside the house. I turned to see the two of them staring angrily at each other. “What is he doing here?” Craig asked anger evident in his voice.

“I came to visit my friend.” he answered for me, “You know the one you left at the altar for my ex-girlfriend.”

“Oh like I didn’t see you trying to object as well.” Craig said his enraged tone matching Brendon’s perfectly.

I intervened before it could come down to blows. “Stop it please.” I said quietly.

They both looked to me. “Why are you really here Craig?” I asked.

“I came to talk to you.”

“All right. Wait for me outside. I’ll be there in a second.” I said calmly.

He nodded once and went back out the door. I looked to Brendon pleading with my eyes. “Bren. He gave you a chance. Now give him a chance.”

“Fine.” he relented. “But I am not going to let him hurt you again Kat I swear.”

I pulled Brendon to me. “I love you.” I whispered.

“What?” he asked

“Nothing. I’ll be back soon. Make yourself at home, eat all my food if you must.”
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry that took so long. I have been busy again.

Hope It's long enough for you guys.

Also. I'm still waiting for some requests for stories you guys would like to read.