Sequel: The Code
Status: 7/22: Complete! Read final AN and check out the sequel page! (:

All That Glitters Is Silver

Argent Family Reunion.

I woke up hours before my parents came to get me up. Whenever I was agitated, I developed insomnia until I got a handle of the situation. This mostly happened when I found out we were moving again.

I sat in bed listening to the rain I had come to love while I stared out at the dark sky. As the hours ticked by, the moon slowly disappeared with the sun taking its place. The vibrant purples and oranges crept across the sunrise as the rain ceased for an hour or two. Seattle really was a beautiful place. Even with the constant rain, I’d come to finally call this place home and that’s what hurt most about packing up and leaving again.

“Cassie, sweetie, it’s time to get a move on,” My mother said softly after she opened my door. The yellow light from the hall was streaming through the crack. I glanced at my phone: It was six.

“Okay,” I replied and sat up in my zombie-like. I threw on the clothes I’d picked out the night before, grabbed my suitcase, and said good-bye to my room. I trudged down the stairs, smelling sizzling bacon and eggs. They only made me breakfast when they knew I was upset.

“I’ll put that in the car,” My dad offered, grabbing my suitcase and another bag as he walked out the door.

My mother kissed my cheek, “We’re leaving in ten minutes. Eat quickly.”

I nodded and before I knew it, I was in the back seat of my father’s car as we drove off to the next ‘home’. I silently read my favorite book, Jane Eyre, for hours, marveling at the beautiful, yet tragic love story of Jane and Rochester for the millionth time. I wanted a love like that, maybe not one so tragic, but I wanted the excitement of it all. I wanted the romance. Or any romance.

We all took turns driving and sleeping. Arriving in Beacon Hills, two days later, my dad insisted on getting gas and a bathroom break before going to my uncles because ‘he just couldn’t hold it anymore’.

He and my mother went off to find the bathrooms and grab some coffees while I was left to fill up the car. I leaned against the car, yawning as I stared out into the descending night, waiting for a worker to come help me. Soft music was playing from the speakers, causing me to feel drowsy.

I was starting to get impatient that someone hadn’t come to by yet when a black car pulled up behind our SUV. The driver’s door popped open and a tall, dark-haired man stood up. He pulled out a credit card and pushed some buttons before he unclipped the nozzle and placed it in his car.

I realized the reason I wasn’t getting any service: California only had self-serving gas stations. This was something that I hadn’t had to deal with since I started driving in Washington where they had both service and self-serving. I’d never used the self-serving ones before.

“Ex—Excuse me,” I asked timidly. The man looked around, slightly confused before his pale eyes landed on me. He frowned.

“Could you help me?” I could feel my cheeks heating up with embarrassment.

“With what?” He asked expectantly in a deep, gravely voice.

“Using this,” I pointed to the machine. He looked bewildered for a moment but complied. He took off his leather jacket to reveal his toned arms popping out of his tight shirt. He sauntered the short distance to me. As he came closer, I could see the details of his face clearer in the dull light above me.

The frowning man had bright, smoldering blue eyes that reflected in the light. His big, dark brows highlighted his blues perfectly, making them stand out more. He had high cheek bones that were accentuated on his handsome face.

Heat was rising in my face for a different reason.

He looked me in the eyes and said, “I need your heart.”

My eyes grew in size, “W-What?” I stuttered.

“I need your card.” He repeated.

I nodded quickly, feeling silly. “Oh, right,” I opened up my purse and grabbed a credit card. He snatched it from my hand and put it in the machine.

“What kind of gas?”

“Um—Diesel?”

“Are you sure?” He said, starting to get impatient.

“Yeah,” I nodded, feeling even more stupid, “Yeah, I’m sure.”

He pushed a few buttons. “I’m not from here.” I blurted.

He furrowed his dark brows, glancing at me.

“I—I mean, I’m new. That’s why I don’t know how to use this. We don’t have these where I’m from. Otherwise I wouldn’t have bothered you…” I rambled.

“Where are you from?” He handed back my card.

“Pretty much everywhere,” I laughed slightly, “We move around a lot. We actually just got into town tonight.” I wasn’t sure why I was still talking to him because he didn’t seem very interested.

He nodded politely.

“Do you live here?” I asked conversationally.

“I grew up here.” He grunted.

“And now your back?”

He nodded sharply as his station beeped, letting him be released from my twenty questions.

“Thanks for the help…?”

“Derek.” He nodded, walking off toward his car.

“Thanks a lot, Derek.” I smiled appreciatively. He stared at me for a few seconds, his eyes narrowed as he seemed to be trying to figure something out. “I’m Cassie, by the way.”

He nodded again, not returning the smile. He placed the nozzle pack in its place and hopped back in his car, driving off without another word.

“Hey, Cassie, I forgot to tell you. California only has self-service stations,” My father chuckled, handing me a water. “Did you manage alright?”

“Yeah,” I nodded distractedly, thinking of the mysterious Derek. “I had some help.”

We arrived at my Uncle’s house five minutes after leaving the gas station. I pushed Derek out of my mind as I finally started to feel some excitement about seeing Allison again. We had been close when we were younger. Our families moved around together back then but there was some falling out with my Aunt Kate about six years ago and we went our separate ways.

We drove up the driveway to the large grey house and I was fighting the urge to jump out and burst through the house and greet everyone. But that wasn’t proper. This wasn’t our home and even if it was, my parents wouldn’t approve of that sort of impulsive behavior from their only daughter.

We got our things out painfully slow and I followed my father up to the door. He knocked three times. Not long after, it burst open, blinding us with light.

“Uncle Andrew! Aunt Melissa! Cassie!” A female’s voice cried. I was tackled with a hug; long brown hair surrounded my face.

“Hey Allie,” I smiled as she released me. “It’s been a long time!”

She laughed, throwing her head back, “Don’t I know it! Here let me help you guys,” She grabbed my mother’s bag, with much protest from her.

“Really, it’s no trouble!” Allison insisted. My dad’s mirror image appeared at the door way as Allison slid by. My red-haired Aunt Victoria stood dutifully by his side.

“Chris,” My dad grinned, hugging his twin. “How are you, Victoria?” He kissed her cheek as my mother did the same to my uncle.

“Very well, thank you,” She smiled but I could tell that there was something off. Before I could think anymore of it, another voice called out to me.

“Where’s my favorite niece?” A gorgeous blond pulled me into a crushing hug.

“Aunt Kate?” I breathed, shocked. I hadn’t realized she was going to be here since no one had really talked to her for years.

“I thought I was your favorite niece?” Allison glared playfully.

“That was when I first got here. Now I’m bored with you.” Aunt Kate released me, laughing heartily.

“So rude,” Allison pouted. “Well come in, you guys!” She grabbed my suitcase and pulled me inside her cool house.

My parents filed in as well and we all met in the living room.

“Did you have a good trip?” Aunt Victoria questioned, hugging me. I nodded, smiling reassuringly.

“I’m just tired.” I yawned as I said it. The adults chuckled, glancing at the time.

“It’s late and you need sleep before school tomorrow.” My mother decided, “Why don’t you show Cassie where she’s sleeping, Allison?”

Allison nodded eagerly, picking my bag up again.

“Good night everyone,” I called from the stairs. They wished me the same.

Allison was already at the top by the time I turned around. I hurried after her, pumping my arms to go faster. When I reached the top, Allison was waiting for me at the end of the hall. I followed her, entering the warmly lit, purple walled room. A good sized blow up bed was propped next to hers.

“We have to share,” She told me, “Your parents are in the guest room and I didn’t think you’d be very comfortable on the couch and you never liked sleeping alone when we were younger so I volunteered this. Is that okay?” She asked worriedly. I stood there, a little shocked and overwhelmed that she remembered that.

“This is fine,” I told her, laughing lightly. “My parents said they already found a house so this is just temporary until the rest of our stuff comes.”

She breathed a sigh of relief as I started unpacking my toiletries. “Well I’m glad you’re here. I can’t wait ‘til you meet my friends! I haven’t stopped talking about this all week! I’m pretty sure Scott’s getting annoyed.” She finished, giggling.

“You’ve known for a week?” I stopped, glancing up at her. “I just found out last night.”

“Oh,” She said sympathetically, knowing exactly how I was feeling. It came with the territory of constant moving.

“Who’s Scott?”

She lit up suddenly at the mention of his name, “My boyfriend.”

“Awww,” I cooed, making her face go red as she laughed it off. “How long have you been together?”

“Pretty much since I moved here a month ago.” She informed me as she hopped on top her bed.

“Wow,” I sighed, feeling jealous that she could make connections so fast. The constant moving had left me a little guarded.

“He’s amazing. He’s so sweet and funny and just…perfect.” She smiled, daydreaming slightly.

“I can’t wait to meet him.” I said nervously. If her friends didn’t like me, then I wouldn’t have anyone to hang out with.

“You are gonna get along fine with him and everyone else.” She assured me.

I nodded, hoping this was true.

“But you’re probably tired from the trip so we should get to bed!” She jumped up suddenly.

“Yeah,” I rubbed my aching eyes, “Good idea.”

She sighed, smiling broadly at me before she pulled me into another hug. “I’m glad you’re here, Cass.”

I hugged her back tightly, “Me too, Alli. Me too.”

And I was. A little scared, but happy to be with my old, and somehow only, friend.
♠ ♠ ♠
First offical chapter! Hope you likey (:
Derek was in it too! I spoil you guys too much.
I already have 20 subscribers with only the intro for you guys to go off of so I think you all rock (;
Keep subscribing and commenting. I thoroughly enjoy it.