‹ Prequel: The Heart Does Go On
Status: Active

Love Can Touch Us One Time and Last For a Lifetime

Chapter eight - "He won't promote me to even be a junior accountant!"

Throughout the night Pegasus did not make an appearance. At about 10.30pm Pegasus’ right-hand man Croquet appeared.

I quote “Dear ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Pegasus regrets to inform everyone that he will not be able to attend tonight’s entertainment due to circumstances that have just arisen. He will re schedule this event to another time in the upcoming weeks.”

Anne and I cheered. We were excited, it gave her another chance to be flown out to L.A. and for us to hang out, as well as the open bar!

Speaking of open bar I was now quite drunk, which was a little strange as I stopped drinking an hour ago in fear of becoming like this. I guess the alcohol took a while to get to my head, but it got there and boy was I feeling the effects.

After dancing with Anne to more chick songs, I was finally jousted out of my drunken little world when I took the time to look around the room. A lot of ‘respectable’ businessmen and businesswomen had left when the announcement was made that Pegasus would not be joining us this evening.

But a few stayed, making the most of being locked in a room with the most successful business people in the world, some were trying to make deals, others were building their social network.

Seto Kaiba was the interesting one though. He was sitting there, kind of zoned out. Roland was on his right, but Tiffany was nowhere in sight.

And then there were people like Anne and I who were just enjoying the music and free alcohol.

After ‘Livin’ on a Prayer’ by Bon Jovi was over, a slower song came on. I could recognise the intro any day.

It was My Heart Will Go On, by Celine Dion. Awkward…

Anne began to slow dance with her date, leaving me by myself. I approached our table and asked Siegfried to dance, but he shooed me away as he was trying to make a deal with a businessman.

I was about to head off to the toilet to distract myself from my loneliness and embarrassment, but a tall figure appeared in front of me.

Seto.

Without speaking he offered his hand to dance, and I took it immediately. We made our way to the dance floor, and I subconsciously put my arms around his shoulders as he snaked his around my waist.

“This reminds me of senior year.” I smiled, in an attempt to distract from the awkwardness of this situation.

“We didn’t dance to this song, did we?” Seto asked, his face screwed up in concentration.

“No, we didn’t. But we danced like this, and it was fun. Besides, this song has always reminded me of us.” I said looking down, a blush appearing across my cheeks.

“The smell of vanilla reminds me of us. You always smelled like vanilla, actually I can smell it on you now.” Seto replied, closing his eyes.

“I’m not wearing anything vanilla. I’m wearing coconut body lotion and a strawberry perfume.” I replied, my eyebrows furrowing in confusion.

“Are you sure? I definitely smell vanilla, it’s very distinctive, and it’s all over you.” Seto informed me.

I shook my head, unable to form words. This was so strange.

“I’m sorry about the comments I made to the media about you and Wheeler. I was a guy who realised he screwed up the second time, and I knew I’d never get a third chance. I lost my first love, and I reacted badly. I’m sorry.” Seto apologised, taking a big sigh.

“It’s okay. The definition of a civil proceeding is to return the rights to the person whose rights have been infringed. Joey may have been the one who won against you, but he represented me as well. Haha, nah I’m not serious, at least not 100 percent. It’s okay, you’re forgiven.” I smiled, and Seto followed suite.

“After all this time you’re still the same, spouting out business terms in everyday conversation. You’re a valuable asset Miss Campbell, Mr. Von Schroeder is lucky to have you.” Seto commented.

Even though I was able to articulate my words well, I was still under the influence so that explains why I bought up what I was about to. In normal circumstances I kept quiet about Siegfried not promoting me, because I was embarrassed. I felt I wasn’t good enough. But I’d especially be quiet about this to Seto; he would be the last person I would tell for obvious reasons.

But I was under the influence, and his comment made me think of Siegfried, and I felt the emotions of sadness and anger.

“All I am to him is a secretary. He won’t promote me to even be a junior accountant!” I exclaimed, rage coming over me.

Seto raised an eyebrow.

“Have you asked for a cadetship?” Seto asked.

“Of course I am. I’ve saved his business five times in the past month just pointing out simple errors. His liquidity has improved a lot since I’ve come to the company. But nooo, he said I’m too hot to be hidden away in an office and I must be a secretary!” I said sarcastically.

“He won’t promote you because of the way you look? Gee Ella, that’s a great example of discrimination in the white collar industries, and it’s probably borderline sexual harassment.” Seto informed, actually sounding worried.

“Yeah, well what can ya do!” I said loudly, even knowing quite well what I could do. But in the state I was in I didn’t.

Seto frowned.

“Ella, are you even really dating him? I’ve had an inkling that it’s all for show, and the way you’re describing him sounds like it.” Seto asked.

“Of course it’s all for show! Like I’d date a guy with pink hair and has a better fashion taste than me. I hate girly guys.” I giggled, and swore I heard Seto join in.

His frown quickly returned though.

“When did you last drink? You seem kind of out of it.” Seto asked, sounding concerned.

“Like, an hour and a half ago. It’s beginning to wear off though, actually I’m feeling kind of tired.” I replied, and then crash-landed on his shoulder.

A few seconds later I awoke, but I was still in my hot and sleepy mode.

“I’m worried about you. I’m taking you home.” Seto frowned, leading me out of the venue before Siegfried could even notice we were gone.