Baby Blue Eyes

First Day of School

I wake up to the sound of my alarm. I really want to hit the snooze button but I know I can't. It's 6:30 and I'm showered and getting ready. I decide on my favorite outfit, skinny jeans, black converse, and a white V-neck. I put a notebook, a folder, an agenda, and some pens and pencils in my bag along with my wallet, phone, and iPod. I leisurely walk downstairs and find a note on the counter. It reads, “Hey sweetie, I had to leave early today. I am going to visit Chelsea in San Francisco. I left some money for food and I hope to be back later this week. Have a good first day of school! Love, Mom.” My mom does this all the time. She leaves for a few days to “visit” some old friend. I never know what she actually is doing but by now I’m used to her absence. I put my iPod in my iHome and blast “Like It’s Her Birthday” by Good Charlotte. After making my lunch and feeding my dogs I grab my keys and hop in my car. I plug in my iPod and press shuffle. “Rocketeer” by Far East Movement comes on. I take a deep breath and pull out of the driveway. Within 5 minutes I pull into the student parking lot. I take my things and make my way to the office. This school is all open while my old school in Massachusetts was all indoors. Once inside the front office I walk up to the secretary. The lady is in her mid 40’s and has short blonde hair. She gives me the one minute gesture and I wait while she answers the phone. Eventually she turns her attention to me.
Secretary- “How may I help you?”
Me- “Umm I’m Logan James and I just transferred here.”
Secretary- “Oh I see. One minute please” She shuffles through some papers and pulls out a beige folder with my name on it. She hands the folder to me. “All of the information you need is in the folder. Welcome to Poway High School.”
Me- “Thank you.” I open the folder and find my locker. I put up a picture of me and my old friends. I miss them so much. I look at my schedule. I have Pre-Calculus in room 203. I find my way to room 203 and talk to the teacher. She tells me to find a seat and hands me a textbook. The only seat available is in the back of the room next to a guy with dark brown hair and gorgeous blue eyes. I mean blue eyes. It’s my first day of school; I shouldn’t be looking at guys that way. I walk over my seat and sit down. He looks over at me and smiles. My heart skips a beat. “Hey I’m Zach” the boy says. “I’m Logan” I reply. He smiles again and responds, “Logan huh, that’s a cute name.” I can feel my face getting warm. “Thanks.” Then the teacher starts talking and I turn my attention to her. I try to concentrate on what’s on the board but I can’t. I keep looking over at Zach. He eventually sees me and smiles. I love his smile.