Saved By Her Guitar

Chapter Five

“Morgan?”
She lay in her bed, tired from a long night.
“Sweetie, wake up.”
“Why do people keep shaking me?” she moaned.
“Enough! Detain her,” a male voice ordered.
She felt a pair of hands go around each of her arms.
“Hey!”
Instinctively, she moved to kick one of the hand owners. When he let go, she punched the other.
“Detain the girl1”
She stood on her bed and jumped over the cop diving for her lets. She ran from her room and bumped into two more cops who caught her and threw her against the wall.
“You’re under arrest.”
“Dad! What’s going on?”
“They say charges of assaulted and battery have been filed against you.”
“What?!”
“A girl at school-
“Ashley,” she hissed.
“You’re welcome to come downtown, sir.”
“Yes, of course. She’s still a minor.”

Once she had calmed down and the flow of adrenaline had ceased she was more capable of handling the situation.
“Tell them what happened, Morgan.”
She eyed her father with much disdain then turned to face the cop.
“Is this Ashley your daughter or something?”
“No but she is the victim.”
Morgan laughed, “That girl’s never been a victim in her life. Until she met me, that is.”
“So, you admit to the assault?”
“Sorta. I’m still new to this…place. As the new kid in school, Ashley took it upon herself to bully me. These faint, fleeting marks that you see on my face; she put them there two days ago. I can handle my whuppin’ like a woman so I didn’t file any reports,” she spat.
“But you got revenge.”
“What happened was her own fault. After I let her win the fight, she boasted and bragged all the next day. She got in my face at lunch. I told her if she didn’t cool it I’d show her what I could really do.”
“Which is?”
“You’ve seen her, I assume. The fight she won? I wasn’t even fighting back. I didn’t really want to hurt her.”
“Being merciful?”
“Yeah. Street fighters and schoolyard fighters don’t mix.”
“But you attacked her anyway!”
“Calm down. I was on my way home after school. She engaged me, threw the first punch and all. I did nothing wrong. I defended myself.”
The cop watched her cool eyes and unreadable face.
“I have a witness; a friend. You want the number?”
He slid a pen and pad across to her, “Please.”
She wrote the number down, “He’s not the lying type.”
“I’ll take your work for it.”
“My word is bond.”
He left the room.
“Was it really self defense?”
“Yes!” she exclaimed, annoyed. “I find no fun fighting someone who I can easily beat. She engaged me. I warned her prior.”
He hesitated, “What’d you do?”
“Daddy, you’ve seen me fight,” she said smiling.
“What’s the damage, Morgan?”
“Don’t take that tone, Daddy. I have you to thank for these…skills.”
“Morgan.”
“She’ll walk again.”
“What?” His chair fell back as he stood sharply.
“I only broke it.”
“What was it?”
“Her kneecap.”
“Come on, Morgan!”
The policeman came back into the room.
“You’re free to go.”
“As I assumed.”

When they got home he tried to take her phone.
“I don’t think so. Mom pays this bill.”
“Give it to me.”
“You can’t punish me for something you taught me to do; for something you taught me to love. I warned her at least.”
“The problem is I never taught you to walk away.”
“That’s a line for parents who have children who can’t fight.”
He sighed heavily, “My Morgan.”
He walked away toward his bedroom.
She watched his door close behind him and continued to watch. Had what she’d done really been that bad? It hadn’t been obvious but she’d seen fear in his eyes. But what kind was it? Was it fear for her well being; fear for her lack of compassion?
It had been a long time she’d heard him say “My Morgan” and she’d long to hear him say it again but the way he’d said it sounded like someone who was giving up. Did he think he could no longer reach her? That she was too far gone?
He mother had always argued that Morgan didn’t want to be reached. She’d told Morgan once that she honestly believed that Melanie was the only one Morgan really still loved. She’d tried to convince her mother that it wasn’t true but all she’d said was that it was okay. That she’d always love Morgan anyway. She was glad Morgan at least had Melanie to love and to keep her somewhat human.
Morgan had been disturbed by that last part but had chosen to let it go. She didn’t want to argue anymore that day. To think, it had escalated over a stupid hoodie. She’d calmed down after that, avoiding unnecessary disputes and helping where she could. But somehow, she had still wound up in New York with another parent who found her hopeless.
She sat on her bed and shrugged it off. Shelton didn’t deserve for her to calm down. Separation doesn’t equal divorce. Therefore, him cheating was inexcusable and would not go unpunished. She lay back on her bed and bought her phone to her ear.
“Hey, mom. No, I just miss you is all.”

Back at the shop the guys and Zaria were gathered around the Infiniti.
“It’s not fair. She’s been here all of two hours and she’s already got two cars.”
“Don’t complain, James. She has to fix the Lancer up anyway so technically she only has one,” Terrance reasoned.
“Two if you count her own car,” Martin added.
“She lifted this? No help from you?” Wesley questioned Dillan.
“No help from me. And it only took her about a minute.”
“Hm. Did you see the tools she used?”
“I didn’t but I can ask.”
“It’s not important. She should be in today.”
“She won’t take it out for awhile. She wants to go to work on the junk car.”
“Makes sense. Alright, then. I’ll be in my office.”
“Sure thing.”
When he turned back to the cars, he saw Morgan head first under the hood of the Lancer.
“When did she get here?”
“About thirty seconds ago.”
He walked over to her.
“Hey, there.”
“Hi,” she replied through a false smile.
“What’s wrong? What happened?”
He put his hands on her shoulders, giving her his undivided attention.
“Nothing.”
He noticed her set jaw and the way she wouldn’t look him in the eyes.
“Okay but listen, I’m here for you when you’re ready. That’s what boyfriends are for.”
She nodded lightly and he kissed her on the forehead. She watched his feet retreat.
Dillan wondered what had happened between the time he’d left her last night and now. She was the laid back unexpectedly violent type. Yes, he’d discovered she was a little deeper than he’d thought she’d be but he hadn’t gotten to know the hurt Morgan. He didn’t want to.
In this small amount of time he’d grown a protective nature toward her. She honestly was misunderstood and he wanted to shield her from hurt; even from Caleb despite his better judgment.
He’d have to keep an eye on her. She seemed like the type to be hostile when she was hurting. He knew what that was like. He used to be a prime trouble maker not too long ago. However, regardless of her mood, she was working hard on the car, possibly getting her frustration out. He was dying to comfort her but he didn’t want to worsen her mood.

“It appears you’ve officially lost,” Caleb whispered in Zaria’s ear.
“That’s how you see it.”
“How else can you perceive him kissing her, him watching her, and her effecting him be?”
“I’ll rid us all of her today.”
“Oh?” he said in a mocking tone.
“I’m going to get rid of her the old fashioned way.
She started toward Morgan but he grabbed her.
“I don’t think that’s such a good idea.”
“Why? Are you a fan too?”
“I just really like sex but I would never do that to Dillan. Seriously, though, Dillan says she’s some fighter. I wouldn’t if I were you.”
“Of course Dillan says.”
“You’re trying to fight her is only going to make him not like you even more. Come out back with me instead.”
She snatched out of his grip, “No, thanks.”
“Don’t say didn’t warn you.”
“I won’t have to,” she replied over her shoulder.

Morgan felt her space being invaded. She turned from the car to face Zaria. She eyed the girl. She had no reason to be talking to Morgan. She was already in a crappy mood and now this plain faced girl was up to nonsense over a guy who didn’t want her.
“Yes?” Morgan said raising an eyebrow.
“How’s the car coming?” Zaria knew Morgan didn’t trust her.
“I’m just starting out so…”
“Right. Duh.”
“Dillan!”
“Cut the small talk.”
“So, you and Dillan-
“Made it official last night.”
“Last night?”
“Now you have what you came for. Bye-bye.”
He may not have taught her to walk away but she knew to never throw the first punch unless it was especially crucial. But, oh, how she wanted to just then. But she was patient. She knew the girl would.
“Last night?” Zaria repeated.
“That’s what I said.”
Morgan didn’t plan on turning her back to Zaria. She saw the girl’s fists clench and smiled inwardly. Zaria threw the punch with all her might and Morgan tok it in her left jaw.
“Uh-oh,” Martin said.
“Cat fight,” Terrance said, pleased.
Morgan let the blow kick start her adrenaline.
“Here it is.”
She punched Zaria in the stomach. When Zaria bent over in pain, Morgan jumped and kneed her in the face.
“Damn! She box like a ultimate fighter,” James exclaimed.
“If this was a movie that woulda been in slow motion,” Terrance said.
“Dillan, come get yo’ girlfriend!” Martin shouted.
“My nose,” Zaria moaned.
Dillan came out of the office to see Morgan standing over Zaria.
Wesley came out behind him, “What’s going on?”
“Zaria started it,” Caleb volunteered.
Dillan ran down the stairs.
“Zaria, are you okay?”
“I think my nose is broken,” she mumbled.
When Morgan felt the smile on her face, she felt somewhat sick. The girl had been wrong but Morgan didn’t have to break her nose or enjoy it. Her smile faded.
“I’ll take her to the emergency room,” Caleb offered.
He gathered her up in his person and took her to his car.
“Are you okay?” Dillan asked Morgan.
“I’m not the one with the broken nose.”
“Possibly broken.”
“No, it’s broken. That was the point,” she said blandly.
“Okay but your jaw.”
“Oh, yeah.” She brought her hand up to her right jaw.
“Wrong side.”
“Oh.”
“Doesn’t it hurt?” he inquired perplexed.
“No.”
“Morgan, what’s wrong?”
“Something’s wrong with me.”
“What?”
“My father is scared of me. My mother thinks I don’t love her and that I’m inhuman. And the worse part is that they’re both right. I didn’t care that I broke that girl’s knee and I enjoyed breaking Daria’s nose.”
“Zaria.”
“Really? With a Z?”
“Yeah.”
“Well, that makes it worse. Dillan, I didn’t have to break her nose.”
“It’s too instinctive now. I honestly don’t think you think about it. You can’t help your reflexes.”
“Don’t defend me. Be honest.”
“I am. I can’t teach anybody anything about cars. I’ve been fixing them up for so long that…I just do it. I don’t know what I’m doing or how I’m doing it but my hands do.”
“That’s different. You’re not hurting anyone.”
He led her over to the couch. He sat very near her as she wrapped her arms around herself.
“There’s nothing wrong with you. You’re young and struggling with who you wanna be. You discovered that you don’t like hurting people as much as you thought you did. You realized that you do still value your father’s opinion.”
“Dillan-
“Morgan, you’re caring. You just feel you need to hurt before being hurt and protect those you love. You don’t have to worry about me hurting you and you don’t have to worry about hurting me. You can’t.”
He stood.
“You know who you are?”
He cast his eyes down in thought, “No.”
He took his time getting to one of the cars that he must’ve been working on.
What is with this boy? she wondered. It’s like her mood had transferred over to him. His shoulders were slumped, his eyes unfocused and his mouth was set in a frown. How was it possible that he let her effect him like this? Why did he let her? She didn’t like it. She felt like poison to him.
She walked over and stood at his side.
She pulled his face to look at her, “Dillan”
His green eyes met her blue ones. He smiled.
“Don’t let my mood get you down.”
“I can’t help it. I’m going to feel what you feel.”
She stood on her tip-toe and kissed him deeply.
“Then feel this.”
She kissed him again.
“Get a room,” James protested.
When he moved to put his arm around her, her phone rang.
She pulled out of the kiss, “Melly!”
“You were arrested again?” Melanie asked incredulously.
“It’s only the second time and it was for fighting. How’d you find out?”
“Dad called to tell Mom. They argued. She blamed him because she sent you to him so that you would stop getting in trouble. She didn’t get loud.”
“Well, good for Dad. Technically it was his fault for putting me in that school.”
“Uncle Josh has been over here a lot; spending time with and Mom.”
“Hm. I wonder what that’s all about.”
“You and me both.”
“What have you been up to?”
“Being bored. Missing you.”
“I miss you too, kid. It’s hard not seeing you everyday.”
“Ditto.”
“Melanie! Dinner,” their mother called.
“Be right there.”
“You gotta go.”
“Yup. Two-
“Fingas.”
“I love you.”
“Love you, too.”
They hung up.
“Who’s Melly?”
She turned to Dillan not realizing that she’d wandered off.
“Don’t worry. It’s not a guy.”
“That’s not what I meant. I just wanna know who it is that makes you so jubilant, so innocent.”
She smiled and looked up.
“Even the thought of this person.”
“She’s my greatest weakness and yet she makes me powerful. She is my life. She’s why I live.”
“She.”
“Melanie. My little sister.”
“Oh.”
“She’s consistent and loves me no matter what. I never see judgment in her eyes and I never hear it in her voice. She looks up to me. I can do no wrong. I love my parents but Melanie’s all that matters. She’s the air I breathe, my soul, my all.”
“And the way you fight doesn’t bother her?”
He sharp eyes looked through him, “No it doesn’t.”
“You’re great and your parents know that, they just worry.”
She looked at him and ran her fingers over the stubble on his left jaw.
“What?” he asked.
“If I’m not careful with you, I’ll…” she trailed off.
“You’ll what?”
“It’s been two days,” she whispered.
“You’ll what?”
“I need to get back to my car.”
She turned toward the car but he grabbed her arm.
“Morgan. You don’t need to be scared.”
“Scared?”
“Odds are we’re on same page. Only difference is I don’t plan on being careful.”
He let her go and left her to think about that.
He couldn’t, she though as she absentmindedly began to work on the car again.
She’d been thinking something that was impossible in two when she’d trailed off. He couldn’t be on the same page. She wasn’t even on the page she was on. She was going to have to be careful.
“Oh, boy.”
On the other hand, Dillan was ecstatic. She’d practically admitted that she was falling for him. That was good because he was definitely falling for her. And although he said he wouldn’t be careful, he’d have to be since this was something she wasn’t used to and he could tell it was scaring her. She’d distance herself so he’d have to play it just right.
“He stayed away from her then Caleb and Zaria came back.
Morgan took no notice due to the headphones.
“She did a number on you,” James jeered.
Martin and Terrance laughed.
“Shut up!” she shouted, angry.
She threw a sneer at Morgan.
“That’s what got you in this mess in the first place. Besides, it’s not her fault,” Wesley said. “You threw the first punch.”
“Whatever.”
“Are you okay, though?” Dillan asked.
“Like you care,” she spat.
“Don’t blame Dillan. I warned you,” Caleb proclaimed.
“You shut up, too.”
Dillan didn’t notice when Caleb disappeared. Morgan turned to see Caleb heading her way. She set her jaw and narrowed eyes giving them a cold, steel look.
“You going to check on her?”
“For what?”
“I know you felt kinda bad.”
“Doesn’t matter. As long as she stays away from me, I’ll do the same. And that goes double for you.”
He smiled, “You don’t like me.”
“Not in the least.”
“Why?”
“The vibe you give off sickens me. I think that underneath all that goodness that Dillan gives you credit for, you’re a creep.”
“I love you, too, darling.”
“What’s going on?”
Caleb turned to Dillan.
“Nothing, man. Just talking to your girl.”
“I’m fine, Dillan.”
He understood that she was beginning to push him away.
“I wanna talk to her alone.”
“No problem.”
Dillan watched him leave.
“Hey-
“I really wanna get back to this car.”
“There’s a party to-
“Party?”
“Tonight at-
“Pick me up at eight.”
“Okay.”

Dillan was definitely impressed when he saw her with a black tunic styled dress, black leggings and black boots on.
“I’m waiting for a girl named Morgan, so-
She laughed, “Whatever.”
She leaned over and kissed him.
“Let’s go.”
She’d decided that she’d play it cool for the party. She couldn’t be totally inattentive to her boyfriend.
At the party, she headed straight for the liquor.
“Already?” he asked.
“Just one to loosen up. Or two,” she said she gulped down the second.
“Lets dance.”
They danced a couple times then he got called into another room with Wesley.
“Business. I’ll be back.”
She watched him go, disappointed. She spread her free time out to a few dancers but kept her eyes on the door Dillan had disappeared behind.
Before she knew it she was standing by the alcohol again. She poured herself a drink and held on to it, sipping on it here and there.
“Bored?”
“Well, ye-
She turned to face who she thought was Dillan.
“You’re not Dillan,” she said looking up a bit.
The guy was a rich chocolate complexion, had bright brown eyes and an attractive smile. He was well muscled considering how the black t-shirt fit him: not clingy, not snug. His hands were almost certainly bigger than hers.
“No, I’m Rome.”
“Hello, Rome.” She smiled in spite of herself.
“Your eyes are gorgeous.”
“Right back at ya.”
“Who’s Dillan?”
“My boyfriend. I’m waiting for him to come back.”
“Oh.”
“You play football.”
“That sounded like a statement.”
“It was.”
“What if I don’t?”
“Then you should.”
“I do. I play for this school in one of the suburbs. It’s kind of a private school. Big building-
“S. Coleridge Academy?”
“Yeah.”
“Small world.”
“Why?”
“I go to The Samuel Coleridge Academy.”
“Really small.”
“I’m surprised you haven’t heard of me by now,” she said sipping her drink and looking away.
“What’re you famous for?” he said smiling and catching her eye.
“Ashley.”
“That was you? I have heard. She’s my ex so-
“You were almost attractive.”
“I know how she can be.”
“I think she’ll think twice now before getting all macho.”
He smiled at her. “You think your boyfriend’ll mind if we dance?”
“He’s my boyfriend, not my boss.”
She dumped her drink and led him to the floor just as a slow dance began. He put his hands around her waist and she put her arms around his neck. He wasted no time pulling her closer.
“I think we should be friends,” he said.
“If you can respect the fact that I’m not single.”
She turned her back to his chest and he ran his hand over her stomach and kissed her neck.
“What’d I say?”
Dillan was just coming out of the room
“My girl has been waiting long enough.”
As he turned from the room he immediately spotted Morgan and Rome. In turn, she spotted him right back. She walked away from the dance and went to Dillan.
“Was I gone that long?”
“Long enough.”
As she said it she recognized that it wasn’t the right thing to say.
“What I meant to say was, not really. I got bored so I occupied my time with dancing.”
“Yeah?” he asked skeptically.
“Yup.”
“That all?”
“Dillan, I am taken. Stop coming on to me.”
He smiled.
“Now if you’ll excuse me, I have a private meeting with a Special Agent Grey.”
She turned and walked into an empty room. He looked around briefly. He spotting Rome who was paying a lot of attention to Morgan then Dillan followed her into the room.
“A bed, how convenient,” she was saying sarcastically when he entered.
He moved to her and smiled. That is until he noted the fright in her eyes and that she was shaking ever so faintly. His smile faded as he looked at her in a whole new perspective. She may be a lot of things, but there a lot of things she definitely was not.
She touched her fingertips to his face, bringing his smile back.
“What is it?”
“You. I learn something new about you everyday.”
“Hmm.”
“You can trust me. We’ll do whatever you wanna do.”
She lowered her eyes, “Oh.”
He put his hand on her back and pressed her to him. He lifted her face to his and kissed her passionately.
This girl, he thought.
He put his empty hand to her neck meanwhile moving the other hand from her back to her butt to her thigh. He picked her up just enough and moved her to the bed. He put her leg around his waist for a better feel.
He kissed her harder and he finally felt a response from her. She was in the moment with him now, kissing him back and holding onto him. He lowered himself closer to her and kissed her neck. He felt her warm hands on hands on his back under his t-shirt and her warm breath on his neck.
He advanced on, lifting her dress and kissing her stomach. He heard her sharp inhale but she didn’t protest. She let her hands rest on his shoulders while he busied himself.
It’s too soon, she thought.
And just as she thought it, his hand came to rest on the front of her leggings. She closed her eyes, frantic. He’d said whatever she wanted to do but she couldn’t find her voice to tell him she wasn’t ready.
Then just like that, as if by magic, as if he’d heard her thoughts, he was back kissing her on the lips. She let out a sight of relief.
“I love touching you and being this close to you,” he said.
“I guess I’m not that great a kisser,” she giggled.
“I especially love kissing you. Your mouth is so warm and ready for me. And your lips are so…”he closed his eyes and smiled, “Yeah, soft isn’t the word. Delicate, satin, silky, velvety, creamy-
She laughed, “I get it.”
He ran his hand through her hair as he lay next to her.
He inhaled her smell, “Man.”
His clear green eyes bore into her so hard she had to look away.
“Stop looking at me like that.”
“You did this to me. And in record timing, might I add.”
“I did nothing. You make me someone I’m not and that’s who you’re falling for.”
“I think you love being who you really are. You should do it for often. As for me, I like every aspect of you, real hard.”
She laughed.
“Even the aspects you don’t. I dig you, thoroughly.”
“Groovy.”
He smiled and kissed her. “You ready to go?”
“Not yet.”
She moved closer and he put his arms around her.
“I wanna stay like this for just a little while longer.”