Sequel: I Need You
Status: 10 Stars Baby!!!

Separated

Hale

“Hale?” My mom called from downstairs. This house is huge, we don’t really need the space, I mean it’s just the two of us, and it’s not like anyone will be moving in soon.

“Yeah mom?” I called back, unwilling to remove myself from my oh-so-comfy bed. I had been reading some random book my friends threw at me this morning. It hit me in the head… It was kind of painful, and it was also horrid. If someone threw up on some pages and put it in book form this would be it. That being said, I’m really not sure why I’m reading it…

“Can you come down here? I have some…news.” She sounded as if she wasn’t sure if it was good or bad news.

“But mom! I’m so comfy!” You know when you get underneath your covers in that one spot that is amazingly comfortable, and if you move you’re afraid you’ll lose it forever? That’s where I was.

“Hale, it’s important.” She sounded serious. Which is not good, my mom is never serious, ever. I sighed and got out of bed. I let my feet drag all the way down the stairs to convey my dismay. Then I plopped down on our rather large white couch, again, much to big for just the two of us.

“Um, I’m not sure how to say this...” She fidgeted nervously. I sat patiently as she thought it over. “Um…uh… You’ve been living a lie.”

“What!?” I shouted, my brain automatically jumping to conclusions. “Are you not my mom, who is she? What did you do to her? Did you kill her? Is that what you’ve been hiding?” I started rambling about how this ‘imposter’ killed my real mom.

“No, no!” She yelled over me. “Not like that! You have a twin brother.” That stopped me in my tracks; I froze.

“What?” I asked quietly; I was still in shock.

“You have a twin brother. When you were born, I was very young, and just barely out of High school. So I arranged for someone to take the baby. But when you were born there were two of you. We were so surprised there were two. I had gone in for all the check ups but I told the doctor to keep the gender a secret. Then I couldn’t get attached. But, I thought he’d tell me if there was more than one baby. So in the end, the couple adopted only one, and named him Raine, and I got you, Hale. And I’m glad I did.” She smiled at me.

“But why tell me now?” I muttered, this was a lot to take in.

“Because the couple that adopted Raine, both just died in a horrible car crash. Well ‘just’ isn’t really correct. They died a year ago and Raine was put in foster care. They just now found out about me, his real mother. I’m sure you’re both as equally shocked.”

“Will he be… living with us?” I gulped.

“Yes, he’s coming over for dinner next week on Friday. All this belongings should also be arriving.” Her smile faded. “Honey, are you okay?”

“Yes… I mean no.” I looked her in the eyes. “This is a lot of new information mom… Do you think there is anyway you could have told me earlier? I mean I’m almost sixteen and I just learn I have a brother.”

“I can understand why you would be upset.” She sighed. “But we didn’t want you running away and looking for him at such a young age.” With that I stood up and locked myself in my room, while I processed the new information that had just been shoved down my throat.


**


Today was Friday. That means this Raine person, whom I’ve never met will be abruptly thrown into my house and life. I’m worried. What if he’s not gay? What if he’s homophobic and hates me? Who is he? Will he be anything like me aside from looks? All these questions kept running through my head. I was so worried about what Raine would think about me.

“Hale, honey? Will you set the table for me.” My asked. I agreed and grabbed two plates, forks, knives, and spoons. It was routine. Then I remembered we had a guest and grabbed one more of every item. This was going to be hard to get used to.

Mom had just set out the giant platter of home made lasagna when the doorbell rang. I watched as mom sprinted to the door. I cautiously moved toward the door, as if some tiger was waiting behind it waiting to pounce.

“Raine, you’re here!” My mom shouted and engulfed him in a hug. I didn’t say anything. I just eyed him carefully. He was a mirror image of myself. Except his hair was a slight lighter shade of brown than mine was.

“Uh… Yeah, I’m here.” He said awkwardly. My mom was suddenly straight was a board as she adjusted her skirt.

“I’m sorry, that was a little inappropriate of me.” She apologized. “Raine, this is Hale.” I still said nothing. He didn’t say anything either. We just looked at each other, unsure on how to great each other.

“Um…Hi.” He stuck his hand out for me to shake. I stood there, unmoving, like a statue.

“Hale.” My mom scolded. “Say something to him.

“Hi.” I said, it was cut and short. He slowly moved his hand back to his side.

”Why don’t you come and join us for dinner.” She ushered him to the table. They walked quickly, and again, I followed slowly behind. We sat down and the air was pregnant with tension.

“I love lasagna.” He said, trying to break the silence.

“So does Hale. He wasn’t taking the news very well, so I wanted to make him his favorite meal.” She smiled gently. “I was hoping to soften him up, but that doesn’t appear to be working…” She trailed off and I just continued staring at Raine. He was really quite lovely. What am I saying? He’s an exact replica of me!

“It’s okay, really.” He smiled. “I had a little more time to process the news.”

“Well, I suppose that would help.” Mom said as she cut and served extra large portions of lasagna. I carefully picked up my fork and put a bite of lasagna in my mouth. Just because I wasn’t excited to be here doesn’t mean I won’t enjoy the lasagna, it is my favorite.

“But there is something you should know first.” He looked down at his plate. I carefully put more lasagna in my mouth. “My parents didn’t take it too well…I’m gay.” I stopped mid bite.

“Really?” My mom sounded amused.

“Uh, yeah.” He looked at me; I was still frozen with a forkful of lasagna in front of my mouth, something started bubbling up from my chest. “Please don’t hate me, more. I know most people don’t like gays…” Whatever he was going to say next was halted as I started laughing hysterically, for no apparent reason.

“Are you shitting me?” I yelled, still laughing, even though nothing was actually funny.

“No?” He looked back and forth between my mom and I. “Is there something wrong? Do you hate me? Does he hate me?” He looked at my mom. She looked interested, for lack of a better word.

“I’m not sure what’s wrong. But I’m sure he’s getting to it.”

“You’re serious?” He nodded. “Not joking?” He shook his head.

“Why are you asking all these questions? Do you think I’d lie about my sexuality?” He glared at me. I didn’t like the glare; it twisted his naturally beautiful face.

“I’m gay too.” I mused. “I guess we do have things in common.”

“We are twins.” He rolled his eyes.

“But we’ve lived our entire lives without each other.” Oh great, there I went and brought of the subject.

“That is true.” He paused and smiled. “So we should make the best out this time we have now right?”

“Ever so peppy aren’t we?” I said as I shoved more lasagna in my mouth.

“You’re not?” He said as he mirrored my motion and ate some lasagna.

“I don’t know. I’m not a pessimist.” I played it off cool, even adding a shrug.

“Would you hug already.” My mom blurted out.

“What?” We said at the same time.

“You guys are worse than my soap operas, you play it off all cool but behind the scenes all you want to do is hug and get over the awkwardness.” She started hugging herself.

“Really mom?” I rolled my eyes. She nodded. I sighed and stood up. “Come here.” I told Raine. He walked over to me and wrapped his arms around my waist. I gasped quietly to myself. His touch felt amazing. It didn’t feel like any of my friends’ hugs it was… better. Where ever he touched me there was electricity. It was amazing; I can’t even explain it.

He pulled away and I looked at him for a moment. He looked indifferent. It must have been nothing. I brushed it off, it was just the shock of realizing he’s my brother, came back. Brother nothing more than that. Besides I just met him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Is the first chapter any good?
I hope it doesn't suck, I tried to write in a negative sort of way, which is difficult, because I"m not a negative person!

Anyway I hope it's good!

Subscribe&&Comment.